Rolling Colorado Rockies FJR Ride July 22-26, 2013; bag the high passes; Estes Park, Leadville, Gunnison & Silverton overnights; no rally fees - FUN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
"FJR Colorado Cluster **** 2013!"

Rolling Colorado Rockies FJR Ride July 22-26, 2013; bag the high passes; Estes Park, Leadville, Gunnison & Silverton overnights; no rally fees - FUN!
FJR Clusterfuckers, here is the route and the places we stop at for the night:

Monday night July 22: Rodeway Inn in Estes Park, CO.

Tuesday night July 23: Super 8 in Leadville, Colorado.

Wednesday night July 24: Comfort Inn in Gunnison, CO.

Thursday night July 25: Grand Imperial Hotel in Silverton.

Friday morning we all kiss 'Zilla goodbye and ride home!

Rolling Colorado Rockies FJR Ride July 22-26, 2013; bag the high passes; Estes Park, Leadville, Gunnison and Silverton overnights; no rally fees-just FUN with your FJR Friends! While riding the Alps and Dolomites last August with my FJR Forum Friends I was riding along thinking of how great the experience was, but also knowing the Colorado Rockies were their equal.

So FJR Compadres, plan on bagging the highest passes with Papa Chuy from Monday, July 22 through Friday, July 26, 2013.

[email protected] or 480-440-4666 for more information. But the plan is simple, 4 nights on CO roads bagging hi passes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like fun Don, I would like more info, now I have to figure out where to mount the bong.

Sounds like fun Don, I would like more info, now I have to figure out where to mount the bong.
No problems Marcus, I have already built a template for the bong mount and odot is now field testing it as we speak; typing up assembly instructions right now, since Mota is now legal in Washington State the first copy will be mailed on to "Pops" Niehart!

51SbGmS1ieL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
This will be our Guide Book: Motorcycle Journeys Through the Rocky Mountains by Toby Ballentine; available through Amazon or Whitehorse Press for $18+.

You didn't ask for my input but I'll give it anyways............

Leadville is a pit. You can do much better. And while Cortez is not bad, you can still do much better. Ouray? Durango? Telluride?

Seems I need to give you some help with this.........

Skooter, they are looking at affordable places. Not high end gay bars and weekend spas........

Skooter, they are looking at affordable places. Not high end gay bars and weekend spas........
This right here is proof positive why odot is the smartest Hombre on our Fine FJR Forum, SkooterG has met many "hot" boyfriends in Ouray, Durango and Telluride!

Ray is right on, SkootyG likes the high end gay bars and weekend spas where he can meet his "Puto Caballeros", we're going to stay at the affordable cheap motels!

Many thanks for the maps Spud, keep them coming please! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkfloGlLnc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We will meet up at a motel in Estes Park in the evening of Monday, July 22 and we'll then part company in the morning of Friday, July 26 at Cortez, Colorado.

Tuesday night motel in Leadville and Wednesday night motel in Gunnison, I will not bother looking for lodgings until after my Daze of Moab-FODS VI in March!

Saludos y Recuerdos,
Don Stanley"

I won't be joining you wackos on this trip...but I should be in the area between the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Ouray, Gunnison, and Dillon during that time. We'll be on our way back from seeing the Utah canyonlands and the GC.

So if you see an '04 FJR 2-up with day-glo Oly. jackets on...heading at warp speed passing willy nilly...it's probably me.

(Just kidding about the passing willy nilly...I never do that)

I won't be joining you wackos on this trip...but I should be in the area between the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Ouray, Gunnison, and Dillon during that time. We'll be on our way back from seeing the Utah canyonlands and the GC.

So if you see an '04 FJR 2-up with day-glo Oly. jackets on...heading at warp speed passing willy nilly...it's probably me.

(Just kidding about the passing willy nilly...I never do that)
Mark, Old Michael and Bokerfork riding with you?

Leadville is a pit. You can do much better. And while Cortez is not bad, you can still do much better. Ouray? Durango? Telluride?

Leadville has its good points, one of which its always cold because of the altitude.

This trip sounds great. Don, how soon you thinking of pegging a post for folks to commit themselves. I'm in on this ride for sure. Reminds me of the Colorado ride we did with the AZBeemers a few years back that Uri organized and PInhead met up with us. Great stops along the way that trip!

Once you list the Hotels, I'll reserve my rooms.

Dan

Leadville has its good points, one of which its always cold because of the altitude.

This trip sounds great. Don, how soon you thinking of pegging a post for folks to commit themselves. I'm in on this ride for sure. Reminds me of the Colorado ride we did with the AZBeemers a few years back that Uri organized and PInhead met up with us. Great stops along the way that trip!

Once you list the Hotels, I'll reserve my rooms.

Dan
Brother Dan, I sure hope that you can make this ride and you are right in that half of this Colorado Rockies Ride it will be the same territory we rode with Pinhead and Uri years ago!

Absolutely no prior commitment is required from anyone, just show up at the Estes Park, CO hotel on the evening of Monday, July 22nd. I will announce the hotels after April 15.

I don't have the slightest idea of why my illegitimate Bastard Dumbass Son SkooterG doesn't like Leadville. After a Summer in Arizona, cool climate Leadville will be perfect for Zonies!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We will meet up at a motel in Estes Park in the evening of Monday, July 22 and we'll then part company in the morning of Friday, July 26 at Cortez, Colorado.

Tuesday night motel in Leadville and Wednesday night motel in Gunnison, I will not bother looking for lodgings until after my Daze of Moab-FODS VI in March!

Saludos y Recuerdos,

Don Stanley"

Sounds like a great ride! Sure had fun on the last Colorado ride with AZBeemers/FJR Forum. Count me in! Schedule a little far out but will free it up for that week in July. ;D Bob F.

Dr. Bob, glad that you can make it!

So name another one. And you could say that about most of the towns in that area.

I stayed in Leadville for a night last summer. Never again.

Don, Three of us did all of that except for Estes Park in the last week of September this year. It was great. I will mark the calendar for these dates in 2013. I have not been to Estes and would love to do this.
Thanks for posting. Bruce
Great to hear our Fellow Alps and Dolomites "Raider" Bruce Cain can make this trip, CO high passes here we come!

Found a new book on Motorcycling Colorado over at Adventure Rider I'm going to order, after I get it and read it I'll write a review on it for you:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone' date='
Long time member at ADVRIDER. It was suggested a couple of weeks ago I make a post here about a comprehensive book I wrote on motorcycling Colorado. Well, while tending to be low key about such things, thought some of you might get a kick out out of the availability of something like this exhaustive thing. It was a big project.

bookfront360.jpg
bookback360.jpg

I know you can't read the details of the back cover above, but the book has made a recent (and selling well) appearance at Amazon, and there is a nice readable preview here... https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Motorcycling-Colorado-Definitive/dp/1884313922/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313704947&sr=8-1

In the coming months it will start making an appearance at book and bike dealers.

Quick overview notes...

- The are 172 road/ride chapters covering the entire state.

- Even the Eastern Plains are covered with rides to historic places, like mesmorizing Indian battlefield sites.

- Of the 172 chapters, 45 or so are off road (I drew the line that a big dual sport could handle it, and of course it had to be special).

- In addition to the 172 chapters, there are regional/statewide chapters where longer roads/rides are linked, things are ranked, etc.

- There are 200+ maps. Whitehorse Press, the publisher, did some amazing work with the maps.

- There are 300+ videos. Every road/ride has at least one onboard recording (many have two or more), useful as a preview, or to re-ride what you rode.

- There are 500+ photos. The texture of the road/ride was the focus. The Denver Public Library granted permission to use photos in their historical archives.

- The text of each chapter provides the background and/or history of the road/ride, the details of what to expect and look for, how to best ride it, recommendations along the way, and how to link it to other nearby roads/rides, etc.

The book has the attitude the ride is the destination. I know many of you are like-minded. It was written for those in the region, and also for those further away intending on experiencing the Rocky Mountains of Colorado on two wheels. It was written to be the standard for years and years and years, with no gaps, nothing left out. Very pleased with the early reviews, which can be noted at the Amazon link.

Feel free to leave any remarks/questions here. I'll be gracious.
lol8.gif

Anyway, from one enthusiast to another, may your rides always be special.

Steve[/quote']