Rotella T6 Syn w/o STP Oil treatment.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhaze

Reaction score
So I did an oil change the other day with the new Rotella T6. Now normally I add 8oz of STP Oil Treatment. This time I did not and went for a little ride.

I had very notchy shifting, and a refusal of the bike to go into 1st gear at a stop light. (I didn't downshift while coming to a stop, but instead dropped from 4th to 1st) I don't usually do that. I also experienced a false neutral between 4th and 5th at speed.

..so I stopped by an AutoZone and picked up 15oz of STP, slapped in about half the bottle, and went for a ride.

Within a few mile the shifting became noticeably more smooth and damn near perfect.

Just an FYI for y'all. Maybe I can get a post moved to NERPT? :)

I only put in 4qts of Rotella..I know I was 1/4 short, so by adding teh STP I was at the fill line. I dont think being a 1/4 qt short would cause those issues, but you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never add any additives like STP, Slick 50, etc, to my bike. You have a clutch to worry about too. :dribble:
I 2nd that; and my last oil change (which also was my first on this bike) I put in Rotella synthetic as well. I have no idea what the PO had in there, but with the Rotella the shifts were all of a sudden butter-smooth with no clutch issues at all. I think your bikes clutch has a problem, and you adding STP is masking that...

Hot Shit, another oil thread and it's only Tuesday. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

STP is 'paratac' and is removed in the refining process (by 'conscientious' motor oil manufacturers). It used to sit in barrels -- (hopefully?) destined to some linoleum manufacturer or ?....

Then, Andy Granatelli decided to 'bottle' it and sell it to the "American consumer" (with a very effective ad campaign) -- the-rest-is-history (as they say). :rolleyes:

two words for STP Oil Treatment - Zinc dithiophosphate

Isn't higher levels of ZDDP what we desire in our oils which is what lacks in most todays oils?

Isn't higher levels of ZDDP what we desire in our oils which is what lacks in most todays oils?
Yes, and there is less in the 'new formula' Rotella, supposedly. It's the reason I toss in 8 oz when using the Rotella synth or dino. Many people are doing this on the forum, and many are not. The beauty of oil threads is everyone gets to do what they want for their bike. Clean and slippery is good, dirty is bad. Most agree that using energy conserving rated oils is not desirable for a wet clutch.

Yes, and there is less in the 'new formula' Rotella, supposedly. It's the reason I toss in 8 oz when using the Rotella synth or dino. Many people are doing this on the forum, and many are not. The beauty of oil threads is everyone gets to do what they want for their bike. Clean and slippery is good, dirty is bad. Most agree that using energy conserving rated oils is not desirable for a wet clutch.
+1. That's my habit and my reasoning.

I am not arguing for against STP or anybodys choice in oil. It just seems to me that if the STP was really that good the oil company would be adding it at the refinery and screwing us out of more money than they are now. They do need a new spokesman to market it. Just look at what Shelby has done for Z-max . Maybe Danica would be willing to bare it all and lather up with STP. :rolleyes:

I am not arguing for against STP or anybodys choice in oil. It just seems to me that if the STP was really that good the oil company would be adding it at the refinery and screwing us out of more money than they are now.
I think they do that already. It's called 'Motorcycle' oil and they charge twice as much for it. This is the diesel truck oil thread. Get your game on Ray. ;)

I am not arguing for against STP or anybodys choice in oil. It just seems to me that if the STP was really that good the oil company would be adding it at the refinery and screwing us out of more money than they are now.
I think they do that already. It's called 'Motorcycle' oil and they charge twice as much for it. This is the diesel truck oil thread. Get your game on Ray. ;)
OK Fine, I like DELO 400 15-40 and use it in everything excapt my 07 Edge. I still think Danica would look good all oiled up. Pick any brand excapt Amsoil, Wouldn't want synthetic on the real deal. :rolleyes: :yahoo:

You kids crack me up. :rofl: I love Oil and gasoline threads. Commodities are awesome and that's when another business force comes into play....

It's all in the marketing and that's what I keep saying.

Whether it's Uncle Bill's home grown motor oil, Yamalube, or Pennzoil (I'm not advocating that Pennzoil makes Yamalube), it more than likely comes from the same place. Different label etc.

So if you want to pay $2/qt for Quaker State QSX; $3/qt of Shell Rotella-T Dino; $6/qt for Mobil1; or even $12/qt for Monkey Butt Superlube Premium MBSP 4-stroke synthetic; bottom line is, your parts are getting lubed at the rated oil certification, all "meet or exceed" those certifications. Sooooooo, what's left to say what's best. Marketing!

Either way which ever gives you piece of mind use it. Until someone can produce fine scientific documentation proving that i.e. Valvoline does harm to a motor, it's all what makes all ya'll feel good. :D

Enjoy. :yahoo:

You kids crack me up. :rofl: I love Oil and gasoline threads. Commodities are awesome and that's when another business force comes into play....

Whether it's Uncle Bill's home grown motor oil, Yamalube, or Pennzoil (I'm not advocating that Pennzoil makes Yamalube), it more than likely comes from the same place. Different label etc.

So if you want to pay $2/qt for Quaker State QSX; $3/qt of Shell Rotella-T Dino; $6/qt for Mobil1; or even $12/qt for Monkey Butt Superlube Premium MBSP 4-stroke synthetic; bottom line is, your parts are getting lubed at the rated oil certification, all "meet or exceed" those certifications. Sooooooo, what's left to say what's best. Marketing!

Either way which ever gives you piece of mind use it. Until someone can produce fine scientific documentation proving that i.e. Valvoline does harm to a motor, it's all what makes all ya'll feel good. :D

Spoil Sport. You aren't allowed to add truth to a good oil thread. :yahoo:

Spoil Sport. You aren't allowed to add truth to a good oil thread. :yahoo:
Oh don't give up so easily! I left the door open huge. I could argue all day in either direction. :dribble: :lol: :D :p
I miss DPF's. ;)