Routes to Golden Colorado

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to be in Yellowstone, you might want to consider going northeast on US-212 over Beartooth Pass. I've haven't been there yet myself, but it's on my list of must-ride roads:

beartoothpass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on leaving on july 18 early in the morning and than ride 50 to Utah and do some exploring and riding in Utah and Colorado than head to 'Golden C for Nafco and ride some more than maybe go a southernly route home undecided.

All routes are subject to change. weekend rider :)

If you're going to be in Yellowstone, you might want to consider going northeast on US-212 over Beartooth Pass. I've haven't been there yet myself, but it's on my list of must-ride roads:
beartoothpass.jpg
Take the red route marked to the top of the Beartooth and then come back down and take 296 SE to Cody. That is called the Sunlight Basin road and it is unbelievably pretty. Then south through WY to about Craig in Colorado.

Cheers,

Just got off the phone with the timeshare people. We are booked!!!

The route to Golden is yet TBD but may involve home to St. George UT on day 1, St. George to Torrey, UT on day 2, Torrey to somewhere else on day 3 then Golden on Thursday 24th. I was looking at GunMD's route just now, and might look more closely at that. Then again Zion National Park, the 12+24, then Capitol Reef NP are pretty cool places to ride through.

On the way home, we've reserved a place with our timeshare point, in Vail, CO. It's not far from Golden and pretty central for some awesome riding.

It may end up being close to an Iron butt to get home though, leaving Vail Sunday morning with a view to being at work in Los Angeles on Monday.

Jill

Probably head up from Houston to Austin (visit cousins), then NW to New Mexico... turning north eventually to hit Pagosa Springs (that's the same starting path I've used to get to the last 2 WFOs...). After that, I'm still debating how much time to spend riding through Colorado BEFORE I get to NAFO. Could go up towards Lake City, or west towards Durango/Ouray... no lack of options, that's for sure.
Most likely the same route as Groo or close to it since we live about a half mile from each other - what day are you leaving on Dan as we should ride out together?

I sort of got a route planned out... Still got to figure which I am going around Lake Michigan. North of it, South of it, or take the CAT across it.

Then I want to stop and see maybe Devils tower, Mt Rushmore , ride through Spearfish Canyon and maybe see Crazy Horse. Then head west until I hit the mountains before heading south to Golden.

Anyone riding out from the east coast interested in meeting up along the way?
gypsy
gypsy, when are you leaving for Golden?
Um, Michael, you don't live on the East Coast. :glare: Did you forget to take your meds again? :huh:
My Dear brother, I'm exploring all options and if a couple of things were to work out, I could find myself and my blue motorcycle on the Atlantic coast in mid-July. If those things didn't work out, I'd be streaking toward NAFO on 50 east at 2am on the 24th. :D

beartoothpass.jpg
Take the red route marked to the top of the Beartooth and then come back down and take 296 SE to Cody. That is called the Sunlight Basin road and it is unbelievably pretty. Then south through WY to about Craig in Colorado.

Cheers,
I came across this interesting section of Beartooth Hwy. on Google Maps:

beartooth2.jpg

Ok here is a very rough idea of the route I may take to NAFO. Any comments or suggestions? Anyone riding out from the east coast interested in meeting up along the way?
gypsy

Road_to_NAFO2-600x501.jpg

what day will you be coming thru memphis?? or are you crossing the river at dyersburg?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is tentative...my route might change based on where some of my family plans to vacation this summer.
NAFO_2008_RoutePlan1.jpg
It's hard to tell because the map is zoomed out so far, but if your route includes Colorado State Highway 90 (west of Montrose, CO), that is mostly a dirt road and slicker n' snot when wet. It used to be a state highway but it was abandoned by the state long ago. Many maps haven't been updated to reflect that. Just an FYI.

Dave

My plan, so far, is to ride straight through to Steamboat Springs. Leaving Dixon no later than Tuesday, 7/22/2008. I may tag along with others if I can work that into my goal of a SS1K for this leg of the trip.

I've been looking at fuel stops, Sparks NV, Winnemucca NV, Wells NV, Salt Lake area UT, Green River Wy, Craig Co. I have an open invitation to stay with friends in Steamboat Springs so I can start my ride whenever based on weather, etc. If I don't feel up to the task along the way I will stop for some sleep along the way.

Start Dixon, CA

End Steamboat Springs, CO

Travel 1,067 mi – about 15 hours 29 mins

1. Head east on E a St toward S 7th St 0.3 mi

2. Continue on Dixon Ave E 0.4 mi

3. Turn left at Pedrick Rd 2.9 mi

6 mins

4. Turn left to merge onto I-80 E toward Sacramento 14.6 mi

15 mins

5. Take the exit onto I-80 E toward Reno

Passing through Nevada

Entering Utah 651 mi

9 hours 4 mins

6. Take the exit toward I-15 S/I-80 E 0.3 mi

7. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-80 E/I-15 S/Cheyenne/Las Vegas and merge onto I-15 S/I-80 E 2.5 mi

3 mins

8. Take exit 304 to merge onto I-80 E toward Cheyenne

Entering Wyoming 261 mi

3 hours 36 mins

9. Take exit 187 for WY-789 S/Baggs toward Creston Jct 0.3 mi

10. Turn right at Baggs Rd/WY-789

Continue to follow WY-789

Entering Colorado 53.2 mi

54 mins

11. Continue on CO-13 38.3 mi

40 mins

12. Turn left at E 4th St/US-40 N

Continue to follow US-40 N 0.4 mi

2 mins

13. Turn right at US-40/E Victory Way

Continue to follow US-40 41.1 mi

46 mins

14. Turn left at 10th St 194 ft

1 min

To: Steamboat Springs, CO

I came across this interesting section of Beartooth Hwy. on Google Maps:
When I first rode Beartooth Pass, I couldn't help thinking of the guy on the D-8 Cat who built it...!

Take the red route marked to the top of the Beartooth and then come back down and take 296 SE to Cody. That is called the Sunlight Basin road and it is unbelievably pretty.
WY 296 -- AKA "Dead Indian Pass" and, agreed, very pretty road. Don't miss the 'bear warning' signs.... :blink:

Since we're in Wyoming: these 3 (thru the Bighorns) are great if you can route yourself thru any (or all) of them:

• US 14 A (14 Alt), the 'Oh My God' hwy (W. from Burgess Jct)
  • US 14, Shell Canyon
  • US 16, Ten Sleep Canyon
All, about a day's ride N. of Golden. :)

I sort of got a route planned out... Still got to figure which I am going around Lake Michigan. North of it, South of it, or take the CAT across it.
Then I want to stop and see maybe Devils tower, Mt Rushmore , ride through Spearfish Canyon and maybe see Crazy Horse. Then head west until I hit the mountains before heading south to Golden.
If you go South around the lake, you'll get a full dose of the Plains.

Not that there is a scenic route from there to the Bad Lands, but may I suggest a route through the Nebraska Sand Hills? Google Valentine NE.

If you go North around the lake, you'll be passing through my neighborhood.

I'm tentatively planning to go via Lincoln. (Memory Lane for me)

WY 296 -- AKA "Dead Indian Pass" and, agreed, very pretty road. Don't miss the 'bear warning' signs.... :blink: Since we're in Wyoming: these 3 (thru the Bighorns) are great if you can route yourself thru any (or all) of them:

• US 14 A (14 Alt), the 'Oh My God' hwy (W. from Burgess Jct)
  • US 14, Shell Canyon
  • US 16, Ten Sleep Canyon
All, about a day's ride N. of Golden. :)
So, to recap, we've left Yellowstone and took Beartooth Hwy to Red Lodge, MT, then back to WY-296 south to Cody. From Cody, we could bag all the routes you listed with this 275 mile run through the canyons of northern Wyoming:

wycyns.jpg

which ends in Buffalo, WY - 395 miles north of Golden on I-25.

This is tentative...my route might change based on where some of my family plans to vacation this summer.
NAFO_2008_RoutePlan1.jpg

That is just about the same as the route I'm coming back from my Vegas/Havasu trip in May except it will be going east somewhere south of Denver...89 and 89A through Prescott and Sedona is very good, so i'm told.

If I can get away for NAFO it will be interstate as fast as I can get there...Kansas is boring like that

Here is my proposed route, but it may change. I have a little over two weeks off, and I want to do some exploring.

2008NAFOMap.jpg

NAFO_2008_RoutePlan1.jpg

That is just about the same as the route I'm coming back from my Vegas/Havasu trip in May except it will be going east somewhere south of Denver...89 and 89A through Prescott and Sedona is very good, so i'm told.

If I can get away for NAFO it will be interstate as fast as I can get there...Kansas is boring like that
Actually I might end up in KC before NAFO. My family lives just East of KC and I might be dropping off my son there before attending NAFO. If that ends up happening then I'll be takin' the 70-slab across that "great" state of yours en-route to Golden...and uhhh, yeah, boring.