Routes to Golden Colorado

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I'm on a laptop in a motel in Glacier Park and I could barely figure out how to log in on it, I'll be posting no fancy map with colored lines and little pointers. However, I left last Tuesday (the 8th) with stops in Crater Lake, OR, John Day, OR, Joseph, OR, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, Coeur D'Alene, ID (with a loop--the "Selkirk Loop"--into Canada), back into MT at Yaak, then Whitefish and Glacier, MT. I'll spend a few days here, then find my way down south, probably fairly direct. And man, there's some FUN roads along the way, aren't there? Can't wait for NAFO!
Is the Sun Road open in Glacier Park? Looks like your having a ball... See you in Golden. Rich

I am starting in Minneapolis and getting to Loveland, CO and then taking this route to Golden. 8GB of memory for the camera. I am so ready for this trip. Perhaps I will run into some of those making their way up from the desert southwest to Golden. The clock is ticking... :yahoo: :D
nafoii9.jpg

Wow! Quite a ride. I am envious.

But.................

In my not so humble opinion, I think you are making a mistake on the routing through southwest Colorado. The Million Dollar Highway - US550 from Durango to Ouray is an absolute MUST. Especially if you have never done it before. While on your route, Montrose to Delta is freaking boring, and can be pretty darned hot.

This is what I would do: At your point 'O', head south to Durango. From there east to Pagosa Springs. From there north on 160 to your point 'T'. From there backtrack your route until you get to 50. Then make a trip west to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, or just head east directly to Gunnison, CO. Now you are back on your route.

Even on this route, you are missing Mesa Verde National Park, which is one of my favorites, but to get up to the park is a lengthy detour. Well worth it though.

As I said, if you have never been there, you want to do 550 between Durango and Ouray. Scenery-wise, it just doesn't get any better.

Also, at your point 'K, I would recommend heading south and and taking 89A east from Fredonia vs. 89. Much more scenic on the southern route. 9 times out of 10, I will take 89A. It will be a bit hotter though. If you have time, you can make the 80 mile round trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. This is all at 8000-8500', in the pines, and cool. Then of course you get the awesome view of the Grand Canyon.

Lastly, at Kayenta, head north on US163 through Monument Valley and Mexican Hat. Then take US191 south back to US160 and back on your original route. Much more scenic. Again, if you have never done it, you want to!

Enjoy!

Agreed, the engineering and the scenery on 550 is unmatched. It is a marvel to behold (by you and thousands of your closest friends in 18-wheelers, dump trucks, rv's, cement trucks, station wagons, squad cars, etc. on any given day of the week). BUT, as a local who rides both routes on a regular basis, I very humbly suggest that you've made the right call in trying South Fork to Lake City. If you add up traffic, scenery, road surface quality, LEO density, and general off-the-beaten-track and away-from-it-all funkiness, 550 looses.

Of course, the ride, as shown (I think) from Delores over Lizzard Head Pass, short spur into Telluride, Montrose, etc. aint no slouch either. Some like it every bit as much as the Million Dollar Highway.

Ok, my route is pretty short compared to most :blushing: , but here it is. Everything north of I-70 is unfamiliar to me, so if anybody has any suggestions, please post up.
nafo_route.jpg
I'm coming from Boise and plan to do something similar from Dinosaur, taking highway 40 all the way from Salt Lake. Any experience on that route???? I don't know what to expect.

Being in the PNW, I've ridden the I-84 and I-80 slab a bit too much. I'm pondering a little detour through Eastern Idaho and Western Wyoming...with a little cut through some Colorado two-laners. Clicky here. I hear about the Tetons and hoping I'd get a nice sunset of them in my rearview one evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being in the PNW, I've ridden the I-84 and I-80 slab a bit too much. I'm pondering a little detour through Eastern Idaho and Western Wyoming...with a little cut through some Colorado two-laners. Clicky here. I hear about the Tetons and hoping I'd get a nice sunset of them in my rearview one evening.

Man, I'd be so tempted to move that route north a bit to go through southern Montana and then drop into Yellowstone through Beartooth pass. On the other hand, the tourist traffic in Yellowstone this time of year may be just too miserable.

The Tetons are as gorgeous as everyone claims. Looks like a great ride.

Man, I'd be so tempted to move that route north a bit to go through southern Montana and then drop into Yellowstone through Beartooth pass. On the other hand, the tourist traffic in Yellowstone this time of year may be just too miserable.
I won't have time to do park tours unfortunately. Gotta get to Golden and setup for all your arrival! Stuffing 260 packets of goodies the night before registration starts is a big task. ;)

And, I have this feeling I'll end up getting sent to Yellowstone during one of my rallies anyway. Regardless, I hope I'll get some good Teton views and perspective of the area using the regular highways....hopefully without massive tourist congestion.

For all those that are thinking of coming through Steamboat Springs (Pinhead, Ignacio), here is a map of some roads that are a little more fun than what you may have thought about. Rabbit Ears Pass is fun, but I like these roads a little better out of Steamboat, not as much traffic. Hwy 9 from Kremmling down to I-70 is not very exciting and people drive really bad on that road. We have lots of head on accidents.

Point one is the turn off for CO 131, Point two is the turn off for CO 134,then to Hwy 40.

Also when are you going to be going through the area. I am heading down to Golden on Thursday.

334127163_f67am-L.gif

Nice to see you guys taking the 'shun-pikes'...

'Mogan': I'm coming from Boise and plan to do something similar from Dinosaur, taking highway 40 all the way from Salt Lake. Any experience on that route???? I don't know what to expect.
A little detour from Vernal up to Flaming Gorge may be rewarding -- fun road and pretty grand scene. U.S.40 from Steamboat east gets great, imo (nothing wrong w/1FJR's route, either) -- and, Steamboat is one of my favorite places.

I'm pondering a little detour ...the Tetons and hoping I'd get a nice sunset of them in my rearview one evening.
It's been my experience that views of the Tetons (Fr. for 'tits') are best either directly 'behind' West or 'in front of' East. Of course, East will be filled with all sorts of tourism 'flotsam & jetsom' and West is a little 'remote' and harder to get to -- but, probably worth it? The East views are 'the money shots', tho.

I'm not sure you'll see what you want... by -- to and from Jackson from the south...?

p.s. I avoid Yellowstone like the plague during 'tourist season'...

For all those that are thinking of coming through Steamboat Springs (Pinhead, Ignacio), here is a map of some roads that are a little more fun than what you may have thought about. Rabbit Ears Pass is fun, but I like these roads a little better out of Steamboat, not as much traffic. Hwy 9 from Kremmling down to I-70 is not very exciting and people drive really bad on that road. We have lots of head on accidents. Point one is the turn off for CO 131, Point two is the turn off for CO 134,then to Hwy 40.

Also when are you going to be going through the area. I am heading down to Golden on Thursday.
Good to know.

I rode I-70 to Granby last August and thought I'd try something different, but concur that stretch was nice. I'll weight the extra time through Toponas.

It will be Wednesday because I have to setup for the event. (hint hint folks....please don't come Wednesday...we already have more than enough help....registration will be open Thursday)

I won't have time to do park tours unfortunately.
Park tours be damned, how 'bout BEER tours?

This one is on my route and not TOO far off of yours, Iggy. (It would require some route modification though.)

I know what you're all thinking...but it's OK. They sell beer to go. I've packed the bike in such a fashion that I'll have room for a few brews along the way.

Mappage to the beer stop

lovely_food.jpg

For all those that are thinking of coming through Steamboat Springs (Pinhead, Ignacio), here is a map of some roads that are a little more fun than what you may have thought about. Rabbit Ears Pass is fun, but I like these roads a little better out of Steamboat, not as much traffic. Hwy 9 from Kremmling down to I-70 is not very exciting and people drive really bad on that road. We have lots of head on accidents. Point one is the turn off for CO 131, Point two is the turn off for CO 134,then to Hwy 40.

334127163_f67am-L.gif

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check those out. I’m completely unfamiliar with the roads up there and was hoping someone would make some recommendations.

I'll be coming through there on Thursday, but at this point, I have no idea what time.

Cheers.

My plans are to leave Houston on Monday, and head for Austin to stay with relatives for the night... I'll then get a good chunk of mileage out of the way on Tuesday, stopping in Las Vegas, New Mexico.

Wednesday will be the first one with roads I'm looking forward to... Leaving LV, I'll head up to Taos, then to Hwy 64 out of Tres Piedras towards La Puente, and then turning north towards Pagosa Springs. From there, I'll head through Wolf Creek Pass to Hwy 149 to Lake City. I'll stop at Poker Alice's for lunch, then continue north up to Gunnison.

Thursday I'm going to make use of some of DaveT's wonderful ride information, and starting in Gunnison, do a large chunk of his Butt kicker ride, although running it clockwise. Once I get past Independence pass, I'll be stopping in Leadville for an open faced Meatloaf sandwich at the Golden Burro Cafe. (yum!). The afternoon will see me going north on Hwy 91 through Fremont pass, then on to Loveland Pass. I'll run East on I-70 for a bit before turning south to hit Evergreen, then East on Bear Creek to Red Rocks Park. From there it's a short jaunt north to the hotel.

Friday, I'm probably going to run DaveT's canyon ride, unless something better presents itself... Saturday will be DaveT's Poudre Canyon ride, and I'm thinking about tacking Mt. Evans on to the end... just to say I've done it.

Sunday I'm heading home, but I'm going to hit Pike's Pike on the way South to Amarillo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wednesday will be the first one with roads I'm looking forward to... Leaving LV, I'll head up to Taos, then to Hwy 64 out of Tres Piedras towards La Puente, and then turning north towards Pagosa Springs. From there, I'll head through Wolf Creek Pass to Hwy 149 to Lake City.
That's exactly what I'm doing what I'm doing tomorrow. I'm in Santa Rosa right now and staying Pagosa tomorrow night. I'm really excited to see and ride all this tomorrow! I didn't see any FJRs today but quite a few sport touring bikes.

Wednesday will be the first one with roads I'm looking forward to... Leaving LV, I'll head up to Taos, then to Hwy 64 out of Tres Piedras towards La Puente, and then turning north towards Pagosa Springs. From there, I'll head through Wolf Creek Pass to Hwy 149 to Lake City.
That's exactly what I'm doing tomorrow. I'm in Santa Rosa right now and staying Pagosa tomorrow night. I'm really excited to see and ride all this tomorrow! I didn't see any FJRs today but quite a few sport touring bikes.
You'll absolutely love those roads Chik... Wolf Creek is a blast, the road to Lake City is too... and 64 is a ton of fun. The only reason I didn't stop in Pagosa Wednesday night was to make sure I got to Golden in time for the kart racing... LOL.