Routes to Golden Colorado

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maptonafo2xb6.jpg

A. Leaving Fort Worth, Saturday, July 19, butt crack of dawn, arriving in Santa Rosa, NM. 517 miles

B. Sunday, July 20, heading for Las Vegas and then up through Taos, Chama and into Pagosa Springs. 284 miles, looking forward to the hot spring pools!

C. Monday, July 21, head out of Pagosa to Salida to meet Duff. 140 miles, then we head to Colorado Springs to stay at his sister's place. 2 days of exploring CO, then onto Golden on Wednesday to hang out with a few troublemakers I know for a coupla days. :D

I booked my hotel rooms today and just did the GPS route tonight. Can't wait to get outta here! :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting in Minneapolis and getting to Loveland, CO and then taking this route to Golden. 8GB of memory for the camera. I am so ready for this trip. Perhaps I will run into some of those making their way up from the desert southwest to Golden. The clock is ticking... :yahoo: :D

nafoii9.jpg

maptonafo2xb6.jpg

A. Leaving Fort Worth, Saturday, July 19, butt crack of dawn, arriving in Santa Rosa, NM. 517 miles

B. Sunday, July 20, heading for Las Vegas and then up through Taos, Chama and into Pagosa Springs. 284 miles, looking forward to the hot spring pools!

C. Monday, July 21, head out of Pagosa to Salida to meet Duff. 140 miles, then we head to Colorado Springs to stay at his sister's place. 2 days of exploring CO, then onto Golden on Wednesday to hang out with a few troublemakers I know for a coupla days. :D

I booked my hotel rooms today and just did the GPS route tonight. Can't wait to get outta here! :clapping:
Chama is a wonderful ride. Be sure to allow time to ride the narrow gauge RR there..You will NOT forget it.

I am starting in Minneapolis and getting to Loveland, CO and then taking this route to Golden. 8GB of memory for the camera. I am so ready for this trip. Perhaps I will run into some of those making their way up from the desert southwest to Golden. The clock is ticking... :yahoo: :D
nafoii9.jpg
holy crap! are ya leavin anything left for the day rides during NAFO??? :lol:

looks awesome dude! ride safe

I plan to start from San Jose on Tuesday da 22nd. What's your overnite accommodations, where do you plan to be that nite? You think it's possible for me to meet up? Anyone else on this time table?

990 miles from Mpls to Golden. My route will be just shy of 3,000 miles. Total trip should be close to 3,800. I will only have 2 long days the whole trip, day 1 to Loveland and Sunday back to Mpls from Golden. Otherwise I should have plenty of time to stop and see the sights and take plenty of photos. I am going to do a little hiking down to Calf Creek Falls in Utah off Hwy 12, and walk through the trails around Dead Horse Point, a hike in Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and others.

I am tearing down the FJR tonite. New coolant, roller bearings in the steering head, oil change, new tires, new plugs and new brakes. I did the suspension over the winter. My trip will start next Friday. I am hoteling the entire trip. No camping this time.

I have one question for the shutterbugs out there. I am bringing my new DSLR(Oly E-510) with along with all three lenses I have, 84mm, 300mm and 600mm. I have a large fairly well padded camera bag. Do you think it will survive being strapped to the passenger seat? I hope the vibration doesn't knock it too far out of whack.

I am tearing down the FJR tonite. New coolant, roller bearings in the steering head, oil change, new tires, new plugs and new brakes. I did the suspension over the winter. My trip will start next Friday. I am hoteling the entire trip. No camping this time.
Personally, I think you're nucking futs for doing all of that this close to NAFO. I'm changing oil and that's it. :) Nothing new electrical either for me...

I have one question for the shutterbugs out there. I am bringing my new DSLR(Oly E-510) with along with all three lenses I have, 84mm, 300mm and 600mm. I have a large fairly well padded camera bag. Do you think it will survive being strapped to the passenger seat? I hope the vibration doesn't knock it too far out of whack.
My, way-less-expensive-than-yours camera has survived riding on a gorilla pod. Ok, so the first camera did until the gorilla pod busted and the camera fell off somewhere in Napa Valley, CA :angry: The replacement camera has survived the same treatment on a new gorilla pod (which I've modified a bit with duct-tape).

RickCorwn has a niiiiice camera he puts in an aluminum briefcase looking thing with a TON of foam that rides on the rear rack. Maybe PM him to ask about his set up.

We are heading out a week early, traveling through Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton national parks. I used Google maps to map out an approximate itinerary: Da Route. Over 5k miles total, the Feej will be long overdue for an oil change when this is over!

We still have to figure out which rides we are doing once we get to Golden. Forbes.com lists a loop out of Durango, CO (routes 160-145-62-500) in their top ten motorcycle rides that I would like to incorporate, but it adds a lot to the trip. I am considering earning an IBA license plate on the way back (leaving Sunday morning), we will see what sort of condition I am in by then!

We plan on leaving Orange County Tuesday the 22nd and spend two nights on the road. The route will take us through the Grand Canyon, the Million Dollar Highway and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. I am crossing my fingers in hopes that it isn't sweltering for the ride through the desert. It reached 114 degrees in Mesquite NV last year on the way home from Park City!

FJRRoute.gif

nafoii9.jpg
I think you've nailed it perfectly. Your route includes all the best roads that Southwestern Colorado and Southern Utah have to offer, including a couple of "unknown" roads. For example, how did you end up including Colorado Hwy 114 between Gunnison and Saguache? That little stretch of road is only 60 miles long and kind of leads to nowhere, but it puts a smile on the face every time.

Hope you get a nice cloudy, cool day in Northern Arizona. I'm sure you know, that can be rough in July.

Pinhead

Info: For all those riders that run regular dino oil why dont you try this.

When I take an extended trip such as this I run synthetic oil and run same filter the whole trip. When I get back than change.. My max mileage for syn. oil is between 9-10K

Works for me :)

Oh, to be able to meander around this great land, on the way to Golden.

My itinerary.

Wed. 2am. -Up the hill - 80 thru Fernley to 50 across NV to 70 to Green River, UT. Sleep. 70 to Golden.

But it's gonna be a great ride! See ya'll there!

Zoom lenses will be packed this trip. Canon 24-70L and 70-200L with cameras Canon 5D and 10D. (my 100-400L is staying home).

For the scenery, I'd recommend a wide angle lens. One trip I made, my plastic lens hood threads got stripped and screwed up the lens too. I was under warranty so no harm. Canon recommended taking the plastic lens hood off and the lens off the camera to avoid damage. I might stow my long lens separately but my wide angle lens and camera will stay attached for easy accessability in my tank bag. I will have a tripod and laptop for downloading and posting.

Stowing your camera bag behind you could work if it will not fit in your side bag or top box. Make sure it is secure as not to fall off the bike but not too tight to tweek the contents.

I will have MsNASCAR as pillion, therefore I will have to spread my equipment in every nook and cranny I can find.

Maybe we will cross paths along the way. Good luck and ride safe.

I'll leave the east coast Monday night for a quick ride to Borrec's house (325 miles) then sleep about 5 hours and we'll depart 6am Tuesday for Searcy , AR. Sleep, then do the western Arkansas/southern MO area. After playing around the Ozarks we'll be heading due west across the f__kin dust bowl state of Kansas. Plan is to arrive thursday lunch time. Wife is flying in around 6pm so I'll miss the go carts....damn. Can't wait to meet all the assholes I've conversed with over the last couple of years. I'm sure I owe some of you a beer for all the help with the FJR.

nafoii9.jpg

Wow! Quite a ride. I am envious.

But.................

In my not so humble opinion, I think you are making a mistake on the routing through southwest Colorado. The Million Dollar Highway - US550 from Durango to Ouray is an absolute MUST. Especially if you have never done it before. While on your route, Montrose to Delta is freaking boring, and can be pretty darned hot.

This is what I would do: At your point 'O', head south to Durango. From there east to Pagosa Springs. From there north on 160 to your point 'T'. From there backtrack your route until you get to 50. Then make a trip west to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, or just head east directly to Gunnison, CO. Now you are back on your route.

Even on this route, you are missing Mesa Verde National Park, which is one of my favorites, but to get up to the park is a lengthy detour. Well worth it though.

As I said, if you have never been there, you want to do 550 between Durango and Ouray. Scenery-wise, it just doesn't get any better.

Also, at your point 'K, I would recommend heading south and and taking 89A east from Fredonia vs. 89. Much more scenic on the southern route. 9 times out of 10, I will take 89A. It will be a bit hotter though. If you have time, you can make the 80 mile round trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. This is all at 8000-8500', in the pines, and cool. Then of course you get the awesome view of the Grand Canyon.

Lastly, at Kayenta, head north on US163 through Monument Valley and Mexican Hat. Then take US191 south back to US160 and back on your original route. Much more scenic. Again, if you have never done it, you want to!

Enjoy!

Skoot,

I have done 550..more than once. Never been to Telluride...thats why I am on that route. I will take your advice on 89A. Looks like I can see Cliffdwellers from that route. More stuff I haven't seen. Thanks for the reroute! See you in Golden!

Since I'm on a laptop in a motel in Glacier Park and I could barely figure out how to log in on it, I'll be posting no fancy map with colored lines and little pointers. However, I left last Tuesday (the 8th) with stops in Crater Lake, OR, John Day, OR, Joseph, OR, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, Coeur D'Alene, ID (with a loop--the "Selkirk Loop"--into Canada), back into MT at Yaak, then Whitefish and Glacier, MT. I'll spend a few days here, then find my way down south, probably fairly direct. And man, there's some FUN roads along the way, aren't there? Can't wait for NAFO!