running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an unbelievable week this has been for this forum!! I applaud each of you, 1 and all.

Keeping up with this thread assures me that the world isn't going to crap. Good people that do good things just because it's the right thing to do.

Thank you Fred for leading this charge. You sir are a fine gentleman.

Hang tight my friend, you and your silver girl will be paying it forward very soon.

Fred, I don't do PayPal. Never have. PM me your address and I'll mail you a check. Cash it and add it to the account. :)
I'm with majicmaker in that Papa Chuy will not deal with those Pay Pal Punks, send me an address and whom to make the check out to: Check will be in today's outgoing AZ mail!

I'm riding to Florida in 2014 during Bike Week to see RadioHowie, want to ensure I get to see this rolling mess with my own eyes. 'Zilla's riding with me to kick RH in the balls!

231194_3977605240002_841492758_n.jpg
Yep! No PayPal for me. I understand the convenience of it But, Those guys make waaaay too much money for what they do. Which is Nothing that a check can't do. JSNS
no.gif

Any ride where Radio Howie gets kicked in the nuts is a good ride!! I can't wait!!
Feb 28 through March 9 2014, get those dates off from work and tell your dogbreath Brother about Daytona Florida Bike Week Ride. Has Patch switched to liking girls yet?
I'll set those days aside and join you guys. I always go to Daytona Bike Week. I'll also meet you up at Howie's place and hold him down while Zilla kicks him in the Balls. Ohhhh What fun we'll have!
grin.gif
I can be there with the camera, so EVERYBODY can enjoy!!!

Any ride where Radio Howie gets kicked in the nuts is a good ride!! I can't wait!!
Feb 28 through March 9 2014, get those dates off from work and tell your dogbreath Brother about Daytona Florida Bike Week Ride. Has Patch switched to liking girls yet?
I'll set those days aside and join you guys. I always go to Daytona Bike Week. I'll also meet you up at Howie's place and hold him down while Zilla kicks him in the Balls. Ohhhh What fun we'll have!
grin.gif
Dude!! Come on down! We can use a good camera man. It will become FJR Forum Folklore! Our next generation will speak of this in Hushed Tones in church on Sundays.
popesmiley.png

Last edited by a moderator:
grin.gif
Dude!! Come on down! We can use a good camera man. It will become FJR Forum Folklore! Our next generation will speak of this in Hushed Tones in church on Sundays.
popesmiley.png
OK, you want to kick Howie in the balls, fine. But remember who we are talking about, where you will be, and respect the history of the moment and place...

In other words, get Howie to tell you where the good restaurants are BEFORE you kick him in the balls. That man knows where the good eats are.
punk.gif

Just once for the camera Howie. Come On! It won't take too much time.... Think of the Memories you will provide! ;-)

That IS of course AFTER you show us the good restaurants! Mmmmmmm Bacon.... Wrapped around a stick of Butter! Mmmmmm

It'll be just like your Avatar!! :))

grin.gif
PLEASE...no pictures.

Hey folks... I know that we haven't made a decision yet as a forum on this, but I'm really having a hard enough time of keeping track of all of donations and contributions and stuff that we really need to get accomplished here with Mike's engine swap.

Could we please keep the chatter down a bit in this particular thread, at least until we reach a conclusion? Then you can have at it. Thanks.

Signed,

Still one stuck up individual.
wink.png

Hey folks... I know that we haven't made a decision yet as a forum on this, but I'm really having a hard enough time of keeping track of all of donations and contributions and stuff that we really need to get accomplished here with Mike's engine swap.
Could we please keep the chatter down a bit in this particular thread, at least until we reach a conclusion? Then you can have at it. Thanks.

Signed,

Still one stuck up individual. ;)
Dear Stuck Up,
This is what you would call the pressure relief valve letting off a little steam as the major hurdle has been jumped. The rest is all academic. We know you got this Fred, YOU GOT THIS BRO!! Now... Everybody just calm the **** Down! Lmao :))

There is no way I'm gonna let the first forum member I met in person (and it was an accidental meeting at that) go through this without some assistance. Half a week's pay sent.
(Well, it would have been half a week a hundred years ago.....)

As for that meeting, I rode over to Pensacola one day to visit the Naval Aviation Museum, and found an FJR and a Hondapotamus in the parking lot. Parked by them and left a note of "Are you on the forum? I'm wfooshee" Here's Isabella over 4 years ago (December '08,) no horn, fewer stickers, original engine.......

001PatriotDSC_2419.jpg
oh crap...totally ineffective "tip over guards"

NO SLIDERS !!!

no2.gif

Well I thougt Fred had missed something but sure enough he didn't. Guess what folks we still have one more item up for grabs.

Since spring will be here soon and I am sure someone out there will need to mount there GPS or Cell phone the RAM-Bone

is still available.

Ram Bone, $36.00 Shipped to US only
100_4452.jpg

Courtesy of A41Billy

bSDYE.jpg

Actually, I did forget something, Dave;

I missed that the WynPro Ram-Bone hadn't been claimed!

If you've been looking for place to mount your GPS, or anything else for that matter, via the RAM mounting system, these things are great.

I have one and absolutely love it! $36? What a deal!

Thanks for your confidence, majicmaker, but, time is of the essence, as they say. We do have the engine on its way now, but we still need to scrounge up any bits and pieces needed to do all of the things that mechanic Aaron should do before the engine goes into the frame.

Per prior suggestions, we'll want to have a valve check done and the CCT replacement (both great suggestions) and the PAIR blanking plates installed. Is there anything else?

If not, the only parts needed would just be a new CCT and the coolant o-rings, since DenverFJR graciously donated his set of PAIR plates to the cause. That is unless any shims need adjustment, but those should be locally available to Aaron.

I plan on calling and discussing these things with Aaron on Monday, make sure that we are on the same page. Also to discuss the CCT replacement and the need to pull the timing cover and ty-wrap the lower sprocket. We wouldn't want the timing to be off a tooth after installing the new engine, and many mechanics wouldn't think of doing that.

I also want to discuss the "too clean" pair of spark plugs, as there is a real possibility that this symptom was not related to the bad rod bearing, and if it was due either to the ignition or the fuel injection system we will be re-using both of those from the old engine.

Of course the bike will get all new fluids in the course of the engine install.

Is there anything else that needs immediate attention?

Thanks again for everyone's donations and participation this far.

Valve cover gasket?

Spark plugs and air filter?

Perhaps test the coils individually to see if the resistance is matched, (I've forgotten the actual test procedure)?

Perhaps add a brake/clutch flush and bleed to the work order if it hasn't been done for over a year and funds are available for the extra work.

Is there anything else?
Thanks again for everyone's donations and participation this far.
I talked to my illegitimate Bastard Son SkooterG last night on the phone, he's going to ship out a zip lock bag of his boogers for you to put on Isabella after she is rebuilt.

I've never had a mechanical problem with any motorcycle that GreggieM has hidden his boogers on, so this is just inexpensive and reliable insurance against problems!

The forum helped me out of a jam last summer when the fuel pump relay started acting up when I was out on the left coast plus I was riding around with a pretty used up front tire. The PNW crew worked together to get me fixed up. George wouldn't even let get off the bike before he started putting the wrenches to the FJR.

Given the above it just wouldn't be right if I didn't help out this time around. PayPal sent.

Valve cover gasket?
Spark plugs and air filter?

Perhaps test the coils individually to see if the resistance is matched, (I've forgotten the actual test procedure)?

Perhaps add a brake/clutch flush and bleed to the work order if it hasn't been done for over a year and funds are available for the extra work.
Thanks Eric. Good suggestions.

I really doubt that we'd need to replace the VC gasket. I never have. Plus he could steal the one from the old engine if really needed.

I've got to order the CCT, so I'll order some plugs and the filters too.

We'll have to see where we roll up labor-wise against the Paypal donations before authorizing the hydraulic fluids. I'll put it on the "optional" list. It can always be done later on.