Russell of Rick Mayer seat????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about one of these seats too. Can those of you that have a Rick Mayer or a Russell tell how well they let you move around on the seat? I ride long distance AND I have been known to do a track day with the FJR. Being on a track, you have to be able to move around on the bike to lean in the corners. I have heard that the Russell design prevents that movement. I wonder if a Russell can be made to let you move around a bit, or would that sacrifice the LD comfort?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohio,

Can't tell you about the Russell, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem on the Rick Mayer standard saddle. It's built up in the back (think butt cup) but not in the front, where it has a rounded profile. As long as you move a little forward when you hang off, it's not a problem. You can also get other styles (maybe not as comfortable) or request that the butt cup be modified a little to allow easier movement.

Ohio,
Can't tell you about the Russell, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem on the Rick Mayer standard saddle. It's built up in the back (think butt cup) but not in the front, where it has a rounded profile. As long as you move a little forward when you hang off, it's not a problem. You can also get other styles (maybe not as comfortable) or request that the butt cup be modified a little to allow easier movement.

Thanks Slick. I have seem and sat on Rick's saddle. I thought it felt great, but I can not argue with the flood of glowing reports I hear on the Russell. The Russell's that I have tried out seemed even more comfy than Rick's, but less able to more around on. I am wondering if a Russell can be made to allow you some movement and still be as comfy? Hopefully someone will shed some light on that.

Thanks Slick. I have seem and sat on Rick's saddle. I thought it felt great, but I can not argue with the flood of glowing reports I hear on the Russell. The Russell's that I have tried out seemed even more comfy than Rick's, but less able to more around on. I am wondering if a Russell can be made to allow you some movement and still be as comfy? Hopefully someone will shed some light on that.
I can't comment on what the stock seat is like, mine had a Russell on it when I bought it. But here is my experiance with the Russell in the 8K mi I have put on it since Jan 07:

I don't like the way it looks, shape wise. Not much for the cool factor! <_< BUT, it is by far the most comfortable M/C seat I have used. I put a Corbin on my Blackbird, and a Sargent on my 929, and while they were an improvement it was not that significant. The Russell supports you where you need it for a long day. It feel's different than conventional type seats, took a little getting used to.

As far as the moving around is concerned, you can do it but it is also different. Standard hanging off styles will put the tip of the "horn" (or whatever you call the end of the tractor seat support) in a, um, "tender" spot! You can slide up near the tank, and kind of pivot with very good results, or scoot out on the seat sort of like an outrigger. I took mine out for a sesion at a trackday a couple months ago, and it did really well. I would have prefered to have had a stock seat for that, but on the ride home I got into some great roads in central/south Missouri and NW Arkansas (highway 7 in Ark is awesome!). The seat was not a hinderance there. I hugged the tank, pivoted my hips to the inside and concentrated on getting my upper body inside the turn, and it worked out great.

On the long, less interesting highway from eastern Ark on home to FL, the comfort of the Russell easily outweighed any inconvienence in the twisties.

Here is a pic of what I found to be the fastest technique on the track: https://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x42/Sha...D_Grattan07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: