Russell Seats taking a stance... (my rant)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Russell was fulfilling an order that was not 'standard', which is to say custom, they should have notified the buyer that there may be some risk of fit/function issues and defined those for the customer before accepting the modifications. Or, perhaps this was an honest case of a supplier learning that a particular configuration has some unexpected issues.

On a scale of 0 = total and utter lack of delivery or performance to the contract, and 100 = satisfaction with letters to the local business bureau with glowing accolades, this 'failure' seems to be around a 90 or more success, providing the saddle is comfortable. With comfort being the primary goal of a Russell seat. Perhaps off season there may be room for negotiations
shrug.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read anyone saying anything about the freight/shipping cost the customer is going to have to endure if in fact it goes back to russell and that is not cheap. I don't see what the problem with russell is, they are not paying for the seat to go back to their shop, all they are going to do is spend some labor on redoing what should not have happened in the first place. I don't think someone should pay 800 dollars for a custom seat and have to push his seat in to open his luggage and if there was going to be a fitment problem russell should have spoken up. As stated above russell will make comfort adjustments, I had one done and I did not appreciate having to pay for shipping both ways. I can appreciate the skill required to make these custom seats from pictures and measurements but that is why they charge the big bucks. They aren't doing anyone any favors they are making a good buck on these seats and they should do them correctly and if they don't they need to simply say ship it back and we will take care of it. Just my two cents.

Valid points. They do get their (high) prices because they are custom. So reworks should be part of the equation.

We received our Russell Day-Long seat the other day and and immediately notice a problem. The "wings" on the passenger seat interfere with the operation of the saddlebag latches. They contend the pics we sent with the order did not have the saddlebags on and they are not going to fix it. Plain and simple, the seat interferes with the function of the stock bike.
We have traded pics showing the issues and they refuse to pony up and make the change. I am not expecting this to resolve our situation but I want people to know what they can expect if they do business with Russell Seats.

Pop
This is where I have a problem... You state you sent pics w/out bags. Granted the bikes have them but it's built per the picture.

The repair involves foam rework, new cover, and labor. Non of that is cheap anymore..

I dunno, I'd be happy for half the money anyway.

JMHO

:jester:

We received our Russell Day-Long seat the other day and and immediately notice a problem. The "wings" on the passenger seat interfere with the operation of the saddlebag latches. They contend the pics we sent with the order did not have the saddlebags on and they are not going to fix it. Plain and simple, the seat interferes with the function of the stock bike.
We have traded pics showing the issues and they refuse to pony up and make the change. I am not expecting this to resolve our situation but I want people to know what they can expect if they do business with Russell Seats.

Pop
This is where I have a problem... You state you sent pics w/out bags. Granted the bikes have them but it's built per the picture.

The repair involves foam rework, new cover, and labor. Non of that is cheap anymore..

I dunno, I'd be happy for half the money anyway.

JMHO

:jester:
There should be some type of compromise that can be reached. Every time I dealt with Bill Mayer I had a great experience. I can't believe they can't do anything for you.

PopCycl, you can fix this very easily by grinding down the end of the latch, as someone else mentioned. It won't hurt its functionality at all and will allow it to clear your seat since it very nearly does already, judging from your photo.

Secondly, take a picture of your seat from the front just like Hudson did, so we can see if it's lower or wider than his and get an idea of what happened here. Since these seats are custom-made it's possible for two of them to be different just by accident.

I don't know about the grinding of the latches thing. If I were looking to buy this bike(somewhere in the future), I would really be concerned that "the owner cared so little for his bike to go grinding on it"...Know what I mean? There is something not being told here, whether an accidental oversite by the owner, or Russell, something important is being left out.

I, too would like to see a comparison of the previously added seat photo and yours from the same angle.

If Russell was fulfilling an order that was not 'standard', which is to say custom, they should have notified the buyer that there may be some risk of fit/function issues and defined those for the customer before accepting the modifications. Or, perhaps this was an honest case of a supplier learning that a particular configuration has some unexpected issues.
I concur. I can see both sides and I'm only hearing from pop and giving him the benefit of the doubt on Russell's story. I don't know every detail; however, I really agree with ionbeam. If there's going to be a problem Russell should have stated this.
Sorry you're in all this mess, I hope it gets resolved well for both parties.

Good luck.

Actions speak louder than words, and I just added Russell to my suspect seat manufacturer list. Right below Corbin. Really is a shame they didn't make it right. Sorry you had to go through this. Don't grind down the handle. That could be a bigger hassel if you sell the bike later.

Actions speak louder than words, and I just added Russell to my suspect seat manufacturer list. Right below Corbin. Really is a shame they didn't make it right. Sorry you had to go through this. Don't grind down the handle. That could be a bigger hassel if you sell the bike later.
You shouldn't do that at all. It's one grumble in a sea of "they're fricking awesome!" comments and experiences. However, don't listen to me, you're far to close to Russell to bother with that, ride up to them and talk with them directly if you are considering a custom seat.

You shouldn't do that at all. It's one grumble in a sea of "they're fricking awesome!" comments and experiences. However, don't listen to me, you're far to close to Russell to bother with that, ride up to them and talk with them directly if you are considering a custom seat.
I'm with OCfjr here I've had a couple of Russell Seats and every seat and every experience with them has been first rate, I'm really surprised at their reaction to this problem.

Below Corbin, that's harsh man.

Yeah, the more I think about this, I think somethis is amiss here... not so sure it is with Russell, either.

What would help immensely is if the actual photos sent to Russell could be posted here. Then we could all see *exactly* what Russell had to work with here.

If the pics have been posted, I'm sure all would be interested in seeing them.

What exactly did Russell tell you the last time you spoke with them?

For God's sake... doesn't the bike have enough problems going around life as a Kawasaki?! :lol:

REGARDLESS.... let usforward a motion to lifetime ban twodogs for serious ocular injustice.... aye? :p

Thanks! Now I have to go gouge my own eyes out. :angry2: As far as the Russel seat issue goes,I have to side with Pop. Whether or not the pics they were sent all showed the bags installed,they know that FJRs come standard with bags. If there was even an inkling that there may be interference with the latches,they should have contacted the customer to make sure that was ok. Then the customer can say "I never use the bags,make my super comfy seat as you see fit" OR "I use the bags all the time,and any interference is unacceptable." Russel should be picking up the tab for this improper fit, including shipping IMO.

Mike

Not for nothing, but from the pictures it looks like the latches are only hitting by an inch or so, all you'd have to do is push the cushion out of the way a little and then you can open it.

A Russel Saddle is specifically designed for the person sitting on it, the sculpt it specially for that, if they had to make it smaller to clear the latches then the seat wouldn't be comfortable and then you would not be happy with it, if they had made it so that you couldn't open the latch at all without taking the seat off then I'd say they messed up and should fix it, but in this case I just don't see it.

Sorry, just my 0.02