Saddle bag protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comleader

Reaction score
I have several scratches is my '05 saddle bags, at least on the right one. I get on the bike from left to right, and when I swing my leg over, a number of times my boot has hit the front of the bag. This also happens in reverse when getting off the bike. The same thing sometime happens when a rider gets on.

I know the obvious answer is to be careful when getting on or off (and I am) but stuff happens.

Are there any bag protectors made for the FJR bags? I have tried the ones from Sargeant and the mounting system was a bit of joke. Besides, the stitching let go the first time I tried mounting them, in addition to the bags being hard to close. Right idea, executed exactly the wrong way.

Anyone used the clear film from 3M?

Thanks for the help.

I used the film that came with the complete tankslapper kit. It was ok, while it lasted, but started peeling up one day, and before I could do anything about it, it blew off while I was riding. The other one followed shortly thereafter. I'd probably be more likely to mask off portions of the case, and use a spray-on bedliner material to cover them... need to come up with a pattern that went well with the bike though.

I used the film that came with the complete tankslapper kit. It was ok, while it lasted, but started peeling up one day, and before I could do anything about it, it blew off while I was riding. The other one followed shortly thereafter. I'd probably be more likely to mask off portions of the case, and use a spray-on bedliner material to cover them... need to come up with a pattern that went well with the bike though.
I've been thinking about doing the same coating for the fairing 'chin' and the first 3 or so inches of the belly pan.

Has anyone used a 'spray on bedliner' from a can or undercoating with good results? If so, which brand?

tx

I know I've seen posted pics of someone doing this using a can product, but can't say where, or if the thread is still viable (may have been lost in the hack...).

I've had the TankSlapper plastic on for going on 3 years, no problems, works well (I can tell because it's full of scuffs and dings from me kicking it).

I'm with FJRJeff - tankslapper on for 1.8 years and it works cause it's scuffed and my bags aren't.
Yeah, but Mike, you never get out of second gear... come on.... ;) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several scratches is my '05 saddle bags, at least on the right one. I get on the bike from left to right, and when I swing my leg over, a number of times my boot has hit the front of the bag. This also happens in reverse when getting off the bike. The same thing sometime happens when a rider gets on.
I know the obvious answer is to be careful when getting on or off (and I am) but stuff happens.

Are there any bag protectors made for the FJR bags? I have tried the ones from Sargeant and the mounting system was a bit of joke. Besides, the stitching let go the first time I tried mounting them, in addition to the bags being hard to close. Right idea, executed exactly the wrong way.

Anyone used the clear film from 3M?

Thanks for the help.
Comleader...I have used the 3m product on all my bikes over the years. Up here it is sold as "number plate backing" and it comes in various shades. I have only used the clear. From the top of the gas tank where the jacket zipper would normally scratch to the top and sides of cases, the product works like a hot damn.It can be tricky to work with however. You need to be carefull on curves and corners, as it will kink on ya.To prevent this you need to use angle cutouts in strategic places. Also, it sticks like hell so you have to be carefull with your placement as well as not get any air bubbles trapped. Once it`s on...IT`S ON !!!!! :assassin:

Groo, first your Fenda Extenda fell off your bike, then the tankslapper stuff. What's next?

Hmmmmmm, starting to see a trend here...

I may never get out of second gear but I did somehow manage to acquire 29,000 miles on mine.

Besides that, second gear is good to about 90 mph anyway so who needs more?

Groo, first your Fenda Extenda fell off your bike, then the tankslapper stuff. What's next?
Hmmmmmm, starting to see a trend here...

I may never get out of second gear but I did somehow manage to acquire 29,000 miles on mine.

Besides that, second gear is good to about 90 mph anyway so who needs more?
:rofl: fair enough Mike, fair enough... I think it's passing through the sound barrier that tends to rip the most things off... :thumbsup:

I give another vote for tankslapper. I've had it on for 3 years and it's worked very well. I think it sticks better if you wax the bike before you apply it. I did have 2 pieces blow off, but tankslapper replaced them for free, including shipping! How can you beat that? I've had the kit installed for over 23K miles.

Here's what MM2 has done to his side bags. I think its the same stuff used for bedliners?

IMG_1422.jpg

You could easily tape of the section of the front quadrant, following the bodyline and spray the rattle-can bedliner. I've got a couple of scratches in mine and have considered spraying the upper portion.

Follow the directions on the can. I taped off the area (I made a pattern so that both sides are the same) with some pinstripe tape, then added masking tape and finally paper to collect the overspray. Make sure you rough up the area to be sprayed with some sandpaper (IIRC, it was 150 grit) then make a couple of light passes before the final coat. Let it dry before you pull the tape off.

If the "triangle piece" of the lower fairing gets much worse from road splooge, it may also be sprayed. Of course I have the "black and blue" thing going, anyway.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Couple questions...I am not familiar with the tankslapper product. Is that its trade name? Where can I buy/investigate it?

As for the spray on bedliner, what brand would you recommend? Where is it available?

Both look like promising solutions. For those who recommended the Sargeant product - have you actually tried it? I would NOT recommend it. It's not that unattractive, and the neoprene is a good idea, but the mounting mechanism is not well thought out. And the price is excessive, given there is about $2.00 worth of material.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Couple questions...I am not familiar with the tankslapper product. Is that its trade name? Where can I buy/investigate it?
As for the spray on bedliner, what brand would you recommend? Where is it available?

Both look like promising solutions. For those who recommended the Sargeant product - have you actually tried it? I would NOT recommend it. It's not that unattractive, and the neoprene is a good idea, but the mounting mechanism is not well thought out. And the price is excessive, given there is about $2.00 worth of material.
Tank slapper can be found here:

https://www.thetankslapper.com/

It's a mixed kit of surface tension plastic (repositionable) and 3M stick on stuff. I used it on the sides of my tank and the back of the tank. When I go long distance, I put the whole tank top piece on to avoid scuffs from the tank bag. I've had it on my saddlebags the whole time. My kit came with a little plastic wiper thing. Squirt some water on the bag, position the piece, then use the wiper to push the water out from under the plastic and it's on. A couple of pieces were a little tricky until I got the hang of it...

Thanks Jeff. I was just about to order the FJR kit from them. I actually traded emails with Lucas this morning. Did you get the entire kit (tankslapper and 3M film), or just individual pieces? It looks like the 3M pieces would be effect stone guards on fairing lowers and other high impact areas.

Anyone have any experience with the entire kit?