Saddlebag clip/covers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharif

Reaction score
Folks,

I don't have a wide-enough garage to keep the bags on the FJR all the time. I'm thinking of a top case and just riding "scooter style" so I always have storage on the bike for commuting.

The question I have is - do others who typically ride w/o the bags on put the caps on? If so, all three per side? I've been putting the two on top because it cleans up the look of the tail, but what about the one underneath where the bag locks into place? Seems like a good idea to keep the grime out, but I haven't done it yet.

Thoughts?

-Sharif

Very early on, I used to put the covers in and out. A couple of times the retaining tabs broke. I glued and they re-broke. Haven't had them in there for eight years now. I don't much care what the machine looks like compared to how it works.

I ride without the system cases on 98% of the time, and I always put the little covers back on. They just snap in place

in seconds. Do be careful, as the two top ones are different shapes, so make sure that you put the right ones in the right

spots. By the way, I have a '06FJR, and I have removed and replaced them many times with no problems.

winewhisperer

I've never ever ever actually ridden without all three cases on the bike, except once where I bungeed the dead battery from Jan's car onto the Givi rack to take to Autozone and swap out. (Well, I say "swap" when it was return for core charge.) I think after I bought the bike I did fit the covers into place just to prove I knew how. I have all six, and they live in the plastic Ziploc bag under the seat that holds my registration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never bother. The bags are on/off so often it's not worth the effort. My trim pieces are right...damn...where did I put them.... :blink:

--G

I never bother. The bags are on/off so often it's not worth the effort. My trim pieces are right...damn...where did I put them.... :blink:
--G

I just recently began riding mine without the bags. Truth be told, I love them, but I like the handling difference when I hammer one of our local roads. I think my covers are in the same place as Escapefjrtist's...Shit!

Interesting - so, for the "where are the covers" crowd, do you have the 3M protective "clear bra" stuff on around the mount points? I put that on after I got the bike - it was in a little baggie along with the trim pieces, and I thought it was strange that they hadn't been put on already.

-Sharif

Interesting - so, for the "where are the covers" crowd, do you have the 3M protective "clear bra" stuff on around the mount points? I put that on after I got the bike - it was in a little baggie along with the trim pieces, and I thought it was strange that they hadn't been put on already.
-Sharif
Mine was already on. The dealer I bought my bike from did an awesome job with the assembly. I think that is why I have had none of the issues others have complained about. The only thing I found not done was loc-tite on the saddle bag locks, but a year after I bought my bike, when I loc-tited them myself, they were not loose. My throttle is fine, my head bearings never wiggled, my drive shaft was lubed, my clutch is smooth, and I did get the covers, I just don't remember where I put them. I'm betting they are under the seat with my third lock cylinder. Either that or I'm an idiot and lost them...It's really a toss-up!

Either that or I'm an idiot and lost them...It's really a toss-up!
So where do I place my bet??? :p
WTF? RH: I got a message from you this AM that you had left for a Manatee Love Retreat in the Everglades and you were non communicado. I understood that puppychow - Sam had been put in charge of the Gen1 Secret Society of Extra Ordinary Gentlemen until you and RenoJohn returned from your sabbaticals. So, are you back at the helm of the ANTI-BLACK WIDOWS GEN2 LEAGUE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Either that or I'm an idiot and lost them...It's really a toss-up!
So where do I place my bet??? :p
WTF? RH: I got a message from you this AM that you had left for a Manatee Love Retreat in the Everglades and you were non communicado. I understood that puppychow - Sam had been put in charge of the Gen1 Secret Society of Extra Ordinary Gentlemen until you and RenoJohn returned from your sabbaticals. So, are you back at the helm of the ANTI-BLACK WIDOWS GEN2 LEAGUE?
I defer to RJ. It's like I told my boss the other day when he asked me for some insight on a project. I learned LONG ago that my opinion was fairly worthless ( :p ) so I told him "I don't decide where to dig the hole...I just dig it after the decision's been made."

The Love Retreat has been cancelled. All them damn sirenians are out cleaning up tar balls on the Gulf coast. :(

I ran across the baggie with the spare lock, covers and 3M protectors for the 2005 several months ago and left them right there.

Where ever that was.. :blink:

Funny.

Just this afternoon I was in my storage shed and ran across the covers for the saddle bag mounting points.

Only thing is, they were for the Concours I totaled in 2003.

I used to actually use them.

I have never used the ones for the FJR even though I ride without the bags most of the time.

I've had my 2008 FJR for 2 years this month. I didn't know about these covers. Did my dealer not give them to me?