Scratches on my 07 gas tank!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... using the rubbery shelf liner stuff seems like that would work. Although, my tank is all scratched up already. What's the best way to get rid of the scratches??
Repaint....or you can leave the tankbag on all the time. You can try the scratch cover stuff from the Autozone (or CSK or any other autoparts in-the-box), but nothing is going to fill them to your satisfaction. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using a Cortech super mini tankbag for years on several bikes and now also use a large Nelson Rigg magnetic tankbag with no problems. I always make sure to carefully "peel" each magnet off the tank when lifting off and then hand wipe the magnet surface before carefully placing back on tank.

After reading this thread I'm a little worried but still no problems after 3k miles on my '07.

What about the sticky clear photo laminate you can buy for a few bucks at Walmart?

I say that because I have a bunch of it at home. I know it would not come off but does it matter?

Steve

At some point in time my FJR went through a metamorphisis. What began as: "My new bike. Wow! What a gorgeous and absolutely wicked-fun bike to ride. I'm glad I bought it. This IS my pride and joy"....

has now become: "My FJR. What a fun, responsive, wicked-fun bike to ride. It fills needs in my soul I didn't know I had. I'm so glad I bought it and get a smile on my face each time I see it in my garage or have it out for a ride."

The little dings, scrapes and scratches are part of the riding experience and show that my bike is enjoyed for its capabilities and is enjoyed. Of course I wish it were pristine but realistically I understand that there will be "wear spots". I do my best to ameliorate those but inevitably, because it is not parked in my garage, covered and never ridden my FJR is going to have evidence that I do indeed use it at my pleasure.

Hence my using the "rubberized mesh" to prevent any more scratches. Every product will have issues, from the clear plastic "yellowing", peeling at the edges or getting dirt under the edges to the mesh allowing sand or grit to get in the spaces if you are not careful about it. We all do our best to protect our bikes. Good luck with whatever you try.

my Joe Rocket tank bag works great, it leaves a residue sometimes, you might want to wipe off the bottom of the bag now and then to get rid of road grit,as well as a good wax job will help protect it,

but if you ride as much as some here, you will stop seeing them anyway!!!

using blue masking tape would look gay to me. But... using the rubbery shelf liner stuff seems like that would work. Although, my tank is all scratched up already. What's the best way to get rid of the scratches??
I saw an ad today for NuFinish scratch remover... They said it is new. Wonder if it works???

I like CarverTape™. It looks gay (actually it is gay), but works pretty well.
No wonder TWN finds himself so drawn to my tank.. :rolleyes: Actually, the non slip stuff sounds like it might the ticket. Off to the store I go.
Yep. By the way, you did wash the bike before you rode it, right?

:p

no... why? (dare I ask)
a clean bike is a gay bike by some standards. Then again, twn has low standards by some reports. But I don't know how low some of the people reporting that info go....... :p :lol: ;)

I like CarverTape™. It looks gay (actually it is gay), but works pretty well.
No wonder TWN finds himself so drawn to my tank.. :rolleyes: Actually, the non slip stuff sounds like it might the ticket. Off to the store I go.
Yep. By the way, you did wash the bike before you rode it, right?

:p
LOL oh yeah, you betcha. Let's see... a clean bike is a gay bike, 99.9% of the time your bike is cleaner than mine, therefore.... maybe Rad will loan you his tiara... :yahoo:

At some point in time my FJR went through a metamorphisis. What began as: "My new bike. Wow! What a gorgeous and absolutely wicked-fun bike to ride. I'm glad I bought it. This IS my pride and joy".... has now become: "My FJR. What a fun, responsive, wicked-fun bike to ride. It fills needs in my soul I didn't know I had. I'm so glad I bought it and get a smile on my face each time I see it in my garage or have it out for a ride."

The little dings, scrapes and scratches are part of the riding experience and show that my bike is enjoyed for its capabilities and is enjoyed. Of course I wish it were pristine but realistically I understand that there will be "wear spots". I do my best to ameliorate those but inevitably, because it is not parked in my garage, covered and never ridden my FJR is going to have evidence that I do indeed use it at my pleasure.

Hence my using the "rubberized mesh" to prevent any more scratches. Every product will have issues, from the clear plastic "yellowing", peeling at the edges or getting dirt under the edges to the mesh allowing sand or grit to get in the spaces if you are not careful about it. We all do our best to protect our bikes. Good luck with whatever you try.
Yup. I was just thinking about this. I've got several little dings and scrapes now. It's all broken in and still fun as hell to ride. BTW, been using a magnetic tank bag now for many years on all my bikes with no issues. Just take some care and dust off the bottom of the bag AND keep your tank clean.

I had a cortech mini tank bag on mybike for 17,000 miles/2 yrs and never got a scratch. I had no protection on either. I must have been real lucky.

Glenn

One other option is to glue a thin layer of felt or flannel to the underside of the tank bag.

Fella at the 05 Iron Butt Rally had his entire gas tank covered with black electrical tape (IIRC, it was an FJR). Maybe he was just being prepared or maybe just trying to cover up some gay blue.

I dropped a wrench on my tank after I had the bike for a couple of months. I tried Colorite paint and it just looked worse every time I tried to make it better. Should have just left it alone. So far I've lived with this blemish for over 4 years, so I guess I'll get over it. I picked up a chip on the tank, I think right in front of the tank bag. I have one of those little mag bags (cortec?) and it works well.

If it bothers me too much, maybe I'll cover the tank with some electrical tape. Too bad they don't make it in silver. Wait a minute - DUCT TAPE! Comes in a nice, tasteful silverish gray. Never heard anyone call duct tape gay :) I wonder if they still make those neat bandaides for kids with the polka dots and other kool stuff on them. Maybe a Barney one would be kool.

Now here's some folks with cosmetic problems: RATBIKE

Fella at the 05 Iron Butt Rally had his entire gas tank covered with black electrical tape (IIRC, it was an FJR). Maybe he was just being prepared or maybe just trying to cover up some gay blue.
I dropped a wrench on my tank after I had the bike for a couple of months. I tried Colorite paint and it just looked worse every time I tried to make it better. Should have just left it alone. So far I've lived with this blemish for over 4 years, so I guess I'll get over it. I picked up a chip on the tank, I think right in front of the tank bag. I have one of those little mag bags (cortec?) and it works well.

If it bothers me too much, maybe I'll cover the tank with some electrical tape. Too bad they don't make it in silver. Wait a minute - DUCT TAPE! Comes in a nice, tasteful silverish gray. Never heard anyone call duct tape gay :) I wonder if they still make those neat bandaides for kids with the polka dots and other kool stuff on them. Maybe a Barney one would be kool.

Fred-H has a lot of duct tape..........you might ask him if you catch him. :rolleyes:

they make band aids in duct tape! <G>

mary

also camo...

What the heck??? Is there any freakin' magnetic tank bag that doesn't scratch the crap out of the paint?

Just glue your bag to the tank with contact cement and you will never have to worry about scratches again or having your bag fall off your bike! :rolleyes:

Hey guys, it normally not the bag that causes damage to your tank, it’s what comes in contact between the bag and the paint, i.e. dust, dirt, road grime and sand. We test our microfiber® fabric that is used on our bags where they come in contact with paint on many types of painted surfaces and make sure that it is not damaging in any way. Also if you ever drop your magnetic tank bag, I would be VERY careful before putting it back on your bike as it will pick up all and any metal shavings that come close to the magnets. Some hardly visible to the eye but can be very damaging. Just FYI

I purchased a full cover tank bra from Second Look in carbon fiber vinyl. It is a beautiful fit and completely covers the tank. My magnetic tank bag stays on tight thru the vinyl. Looks great. Problem solved. Call Second Look and they will make one for you. I used the tankslapper kit before but the edges started to peel.