Sell the FJR, or will a PCIII fix the throttle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the FJR doesn't corner worth a damn, thanks to that fooked up throttle.
For me, the PCIII in my 2006 AE didn't help with your comment quoted above. I've given up with riding the twisties due to this fact and only "tour" with my FJR to/from work and "touring" on the weekends (freeways).

I have 20k on my FJR. I've had the PCIII for about 15k of that.

I have an '04 so I have a slow wussy bike. I just ride it slowly and make sure I am very slow and careful in the twisties... :)

j/k..Hope you find a solution right for you real soon. :clapping:

I just ride it slowly and make sure I am very slow and careful in the twisties... :)
Wheaty, you lie, careful, yes.....

I agree with Bokerfork, (normally) one shouldn't have to make mid corner adjustments .....in slow out fast and smooooooth :assassin:

But the FJR doesn't corner worth a damn, thanks to that fooked up throttle.
For me, the PCIII in my 2006 AE didn't help with your comment quoted above. I've given up with riding the twisties due to this fact and only "tour" with my FJR to/from work and "touring" on the weekends (freeways).

I have 20k on my FJR. I've had the PCIII for about 15k of that.

I have an 07AE and I totally agree the PC3 doesn't address it entirely. It's not bad enough for me to halt twisties but we'll see. I am still in the no-clutch squeeze romantic part of the relationship with my feej (despite dropping it outside a parking lot a day before NAFO). Arg.

========hellcreep

You guys that installed a PCIII, how did it affect the fuel milage? I heard of cases where the milage went from the mid to high 40's to mid to high 30's. :eek:
My 04 went from high 40s (46-49) to low 40s (40-43) or about a 15% drop. Well worth it. My FJR#2-also an 04, does not have the PCIII installed YET. It gets in the high 40s, sometimes low 50s but the damn surging is driving me nuts when I ride it which right now isn't much. It's also a lot hotter than FJR#1 so I am hoping the PCIII solves that too.

So what I'm hearing, is a resounding "YES IT FIXES THE PROBLEM". That's a good thing ;-) Time to order the part, and if my wife notices, I'll point out that this should have been included in the purchase price of the bike in the first place (which she bought for me).

It sounds like this will also fix the lean surge, which makes it difficult to maintain a constant freeway speed. Not that I care much about that .. it just irritates those behind me.

The VFR was just managable because it has NO BALLS!!! I had one, I know.........
Once in a while I jump on my old (2000) VFR (sold it to my brother) and am struck by how much more responsive and smooth the power delivery is than the FJR. Sure, in an all-out acceleration comparison, or any roll-on tests, the FJR will beat the VFR slightly, but when it comes to useful power, the advantage the FJR has is offset by the higher weight and the difference is negligible. Not to mention that the Vfour, with 92k miles, just feels 'tighter' and better put together than the FJR's buzziness. In case you can't tell... I still have a soft spot for Honda's engineering prowess. They have never let me down, whereas Yamaha has.

You're probably wondering why I even bought the FJR .. in a nutshell, motorcycling involves tradeoffs, and when I lived in Oregon the VFR had the perfect combination of performance and comfort for short distances to twisty roads and mild weather. Now I'm in Minnesota, with twisty roads few and far between with weather extremes resulting in four good riding months every year. Thus .. FJR is a better bike for MN than the VFR. But I still need to sort out this throttle response issue.

PCIII definitely will fix the abrupt throttle. If it still has more power than you are comfortable with at small turns of the throttle, add a G2 throttle tube. I was thnking today what I'd buy if I was in the market, and I can't think of a bike I'd rather have than the FJR.
That's the problem - I can't think of another bike to replace the FJR with, either, unless I want to give up something. Anything bigger is out of the question .. anything smaller, and I give up the weather protection or ergo's. I've considered the Multistrada, but feel it is over priced (as are the roundel's offerings). Maybe a Dl1000 .. if I can get past the looks. I dunno what I would get instead.

I came off a Triumph Sprint and it was so smooth that you forgot you were riding. This bike never lets you relax. It is almost hard to ride it. Makes it rough when unlike a car you can't test ride them first, well at most places.
The VFR is smooth like that. It feels like an extension of my body (full GP suspension didn't hurt either). The only time I can really relax on the FJR is when I'm out of the twisties.

Maybe its just a matter of riding style, but for what it's worth, here's my cheap (free) fix.
Go into the turn one gear lower than you currently enter them. This will cause you to be on the throttle as you enter and you avoid the lurch coming out. The other advantage of this is that you are generally in a higher RPM range when rolling back on the power, and therefore, you come shooting out of the corner much faster and more in control.

While this is a bit disconcerting at first, due to high engine noise, give it a try for a few miles of twisties. What have you got to lose except the 300 bucks for the PCIII. I'm not trying to downplay what others have said about the PCIII. Just offering a possible cost saving alternative.
That has worked for me on occasion (sometimes two gears lower), when I am in the mood to ride aggressively, hang off, etc. But when I am more relaxed, or riding around town, or when traction is compromised, etc. and not interested in racing through corners, I'm still spending way too much thought on feeding the power smoothly and avoiding unsettling the bike.

---

I don't mean to complain too much. I am generally happy with the FJR, but I am a bit frustrated that the reason I picked the FJR over the ST1300, is for it's better handling capabilities, which are nullified by the effed up throttle. If I can't solve the throttle issue, I'm not sure there's much point in putting up with the other shortcommings of the bike (heat, windnoise, weight, etc).

My VFR had a PC-2 for a couple months. While it increased the low-end grunt a little, it dropped my fuel range from 220 to 180 which was unacceptable (and those behind me complained about the smell of unburnt fuels). This experience has me a little leary of the claims Dynojet makes .. but since y'all seem to like it so much, I'm going to give it a try.

And for the record ... I really do enjoy your input, and appreciate learning from your experiences ;-)

You guys that installed a PCIII, how did it affect the fuel milage? I heard of cases where the milage went from the mid to high 40's to mid to high 30's. :eek:
I only have 2 fillups since installing the PCIII, but mileage has gone down. Please note that the bike computer shows my mileage going UP to about 42mpg from my usual 39mpg, when in fact the mileage has gone DOWN to about 36mpg. DON'T TRUST THE COMPUTER! Calculations must be done by hand!

No comments??? :unsure:
My '07 is perfect with the throttle spring release and the PCIII. With the PCIII and the new ECU I went from 43 mpg to 41. A small price to pay. My mpg readout still says 44-45, so don't trust it!

Last edited by a moderator:
they must have changed things on the 08 because i'm just not getting much in the way of throttle issues. either that or i'm just too dumb to notice, but i've chased some good riders through the twisties with this bike in stock form and i'm always right there. my 06gsxr1k had huge throttle issues in stock form, but not this one. all relative i guess.

... With the PCIII and the new ECU I went from 43 mpg to 41. A small price to pay. My mpg readout still says 44-45, so don't trust it!
The MPG is calculated on the fuel the FJR's MCU wanted to put into the cylinders, not what's actually put in by the PCIII, so the displayed MPG can't be relied on. On my stocker, it's optimistic anyway. Possibly because I spend so much time stationary, and I think it only calculates when moving (?)

... With the PCIII and the new ECU I went from 43 mpg to 41. A small price to pay. My mpg readout still says 44-45, so don't trust it!
The MPG is calculated on the fuel the FJR's MCU wanted to put into the cylinders, not what's actually put in by the PCIII, so the displayed MPG can't be relied on. On my stocker, it's optimistic anyway. Possibly because I spend so much time stationary, and I think it only calculates when moving (?)
My readout was more accurate before I installed the PCIII, for sure. Maybe a bit optimistic. Now I don't even refer to it anymore. The replacement ECU seemed to affect the readout as well.

06 with 32k miles and totally stock, I've experienced no such problems, did this occur right out of the box or did it take time to occur?

Just put in a quart of pure white lightin' and your fjr will run like a rocket ship...

I have an 07A with 6700 miles. 700 miles ago I installed the pcIII with one of the smoothness maps. I did the throttle spring rewind (1 rev) at 200 miles and synched the throttle bodies at 5500 miles. This past weekend I changed the plugs for the NGK iridiums.

Not an expert here, but, the pcIII has provided increased positive difference on the abruptness and jerkyness of the throttle. There is still some abruptness when the throttle is engaged but it's very minor and usually only in 1st gear. When the bike is warmed up I hardly notice it. I can tell a difference with the new iridium plugs.

Get the pcIII. I'm sure if you don't like it someone here will buy it from you.

My gas mileage went from approx 48 to 52. I could get a higher mpg but I ain't ridin' my baby like a scooter.

I only have 2 fillups since installing the PCIII, but mileage has gone down. Please note that the bike computer shows my mileage going UP to about 42mpg from my usual 39mpg, when in fact the mileage has gone DOWN to about 36mpg. DON'T TRUST THE COMPUTER! Calculations must be done by hand!
I agree - the fuel economy readout is no longer valid. Rule of thumb is that it is about 5mpg off now. My mileage has decreased about 10%. It was a good tradeoff, though.

Just put in a quart of pure white lightin' and your fjr will run like a rocket ship...

My gas mileage went from approx 48 to 52. I could get a higher mpg but I ain't ridin' my baby like a scooter.

A quart of pure white lightin eh.....your 48 to 52, OR BETTER, most of us won't get. <_< You probably do most of your riding at higher altitudes than most of us....hence the good MPG.

Or, you do ride it like a scooter. :rolleyes:

While on the subject, are most doing the PCIII to fix issues or to make the bike run better over all. From other bikes I've owned and ran PC's on I don't see the bang for the buck unless you do some pretty decent engine mods, not just slip ons and intake mods.

For the price of this bike we shouldn't have to do ANY thing to it to make it ridable. Just my thoughts.
Riiiiiight...and rear drive shafts shouldn't fail on bikes costing $6,000 MORE than the FJR.

I don't have the PCIII, g2 and only one TBS. I'm happy with the way it is. I've done as much adjusting to the bike as I've adjusted on the bike.

I didn't want a scooter....

While on the subject, are most doing the PCIII to fix issues or to make the bike run better over all. From other bikes I've owned and ran PC's on I don't see the bang for the buck unless you do some pretty decent engine mods, not just slip ons and intake mods.
I did it to fix the jerky throttle response issue. It did.