selling my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRmartin

Reaction score
I'm contemplating selling my '06...I've never sold a motorcycle before. So, I was looking for opinions on allowing test rides. Do you just hold their license and hope for the best or take some kind of deposit? I'm sure many of you have been through this process before.

Thanks,

Matt

Thats a tough call since I havent had to sell my bike but when I sold my modified WRX I made sure I was along for every test ride. Too many kids want to drop the clutch and see what it'll do and the last thing I needed was to have my transmission sitting in the middle of the road and someone walking away from it.

I'd be inclined to let someone experienced test ride my Shadow VLX. With regards to my FJR it would depend on a few variables. What have they ridden before, how long have they been riding...how serious are they? (did they come from 20 miles or 200 miels to look at it). I guess it would be a gut check thing depending on what kinda vibes I got from them. A deposit would be nice but I am not sure it would matter if they laid it downaunless there were some signed conditions attached to it when they handed it to you.

Thanks for the input, db.

Also, just read a suggestion on wikianswers: Offer as a condition of sale the option to return the undamaged bike within an hour of purchase. Basically buy it to ride it. Sounds good to me...might turn away some buyers though.

I sold a bike not too long ago and let the prospective buyer take a test drive, of course I had the keys to his vehicle while he was riding. If I am going to spend a chunk of money on a bike, I'm going to take a test drive or go elsewhere.

IMHO, check with your insurance agent first to make sure the bike and you are covered should prospective buyer injure himself or others or your bike. Even so, don't let prospective buyer ride it without prospective buyer proving to you he is licensed and insured should prospective buyer injure himself or others or your bike. Anyone going to the trouble of buying a pre-owned FJR should be unflustered by this.

I say 'YES'.

I haven't bought or sold a lot of used bikes, but have not had any problems. Any time I have looked at a used one I was considering, I have taken a test ride without any weird conditions. I wouldn't buy a used bike without a short test ride.

I normally allow test rides, but I always:

1. Insist they ride up on a bike and show me they have insurance.

2. Photo their drivers license.

3. I want to see that they can pay. (That normally means show me cash.)

4. I normally lead the demo ride and do it on their bike. I've gotten some interesting rides out of this, especially when I sold my Ducati.

I've bought and sold several used bikes and have always been allowed to test ride and have allowed potential buyers to test ride.

If my gut feeling and research on the prospective buyer convinces me he's servious about purchasing, has made a deal agreed upon, has money in hand, and now for the very last confirmation of his buy decision, want a test ride - already owns a bike, shows me his driver's license and has a motorcycle endorcement, seems to definitely be an experience motorcyclist by his demenor and conversation of knowledge of motorcycleing, and we agree on how long and route he will take, I would agree on the test ride.

I purchased SouthernCruiser's '04 in September meeting him at the Yammy dealership where he was picking up his brand new '08. He knew I already owned 2 bikes and asked how long I was riding and why I wanted his FJR. We had already agreed on price and I had money in hand. I came with my wife in a cage, he asked her about my riding and her riding (she like to ride only on the back of my bike with me driving), but he had no question who and what I was. I asked to see his bike and then for a ride on it. He readily agreed and I said I would take a quick jaunt only on the road in front of the shop back and force, hardly never out of his sight. He said that wasn't necessary, but was extremely comfortable with my terms.

I did just that and ran back and forth (straight line other than U turns at the corners - about a half mile stretch) going faster and stopping harder at each pass. Did about 10 passes with a bigger shit eating grin involuntarily coming over me at each pass. Fell in love with the bike right there. Yelled a "whoop" as I pulled back into the parking spot. Jammed onthe brakes quipping "Hey Jay - Sold" with a chuckle.

As a buyer I would insist on a ride, even if the owner insisted on me riding on the back as he took the bike through the paces. I would have done my homework that this was the bike for me (in theory) and just wanted to know it was running well, handling as it should, and could stop as it was designed to. At least, I would want the owner to do what I did in my sight to see with my own eyes the bike is roadworthy.

Just my 1.5 cents.

Best of luck on your sale,

Mike in Ole Nawlins'

Check out my Gathering Ride March 6-9, everyone here is invited

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?a...&pid=522878

"Sometimes You Have to Use the Whole Speedometer"

"Riding is Life...Everything Before & After Is Just Waiting"

"The Best Pilots Have a Great Wingman"

"If you can't Ride, Fly or Sail it, Why Bother?"

"Go like Hell...worse that can happen is you go to Heaven"

I write out a contract, Take the cash, Then if it doesnt ride adn run as advertised all they have to do is return the undamamged bike within 30 minutes adn I will give them their money back. I learned this lesson with my Seca 900. Guy dumoped it and I got screwed, Luckily it was already beat up. But noone rides my bike without a deposit of the full asking price.

If they want to test ride, they need to show a license with M endorsement, and MSF card. No tickee no ridee.

25 years of buying and selling, no regrets. A few pissed people, but that is their problem.

Checkswrecks has it right. I'd add that I'd want the potential buyer to make me feel good about letting him on the machine. I'd still say "No." to anyone who didn't pass my eyeball test.

I've sold a bunch of bikes. I have been most successful through Craig's list. It is a face to face sale. I do not allow test rides until the agreed upon cash amount is in my hand. If after the test ride they do not like the bike, and they return with it undamaged, I will refund the cash. If they drop the bike or otherwise break it, they own it.

In one case a prospective buyer asked me to drive it up and down the street so that he could see how it ran OK. I suppose that I'd let one ride bitch if they really insisted on it. So far none has. Says something about my BO, I guess... :blink:

I can usually spot a "richard cranium" pretty quick. I've done deals in the past where they hand me the cash to hold while they take a test ride.

Actually, the last bike I sold was a KTM 450. The guy wanted to take it down the street just to make sure it shifted properly through the gears. I asked him if he knew what he was doing and he looked at me like I was an idiot and told me he'd ridden all his life. He pulled out of the drive hit the gas and promptly did a feet up sideways power wheelie right into the ditch.....

I run down the street to see if he's OK and he gets up all scraped up and says, "I'll take it!"

Be careful.....

I allow them if they have a license and funds for the bike. I hold the funds, you ride the bike. You break it, you buy it.

I've never bought a used bike without a test ride and walked away from one that the owner refused.

I can usually spot a "richard cranium" pretty quick. I've done deals in the past where they hand me the cash to hold while they take a test ride.
Actually, the last bike I sold was a KTM 450. The guy wanted to take it down the street just to make sure it shifted properly through the gears. I asked him if he knew what he was doing and he looked at me like I was an idiot and told me he'd ridden all his life. He pulled out of the drive hit the gas and promptly did a feet up sideways power wheelie right into the ditch.....

I run down the street to see if he's OK and he gets up all scraped up and says, "I'll take it!"

Be careful.....

Haaa! hahaha. I guess that was one Richard Cranium that slipped through the "net". ;)

I've never bought a used bike without a test ride and walked away from one that the owner refused.
I guess that wasn't a very good deal then, or you'd have bought it anyway.

What the heck is a two minute test ride going to show you that you can't tell already by starting it, listening to it, shifting through the gear box (stationary) and feeling the clutch, all in the driveway? Maybe the tires are out of balance? whatever...

Last edited by a moderator:
... With regards to my FJR it would depend on a few variables. What have they ridden before, how long have they been riding...how serious are they? (did they come from 20 miles or 200 miels to look at it). I guess it would be a gut check thing depending on what kinda vibes I got from them. A deposit would be nice but I am not sure it would matter if they laid it downaunless there were some signed conditions attached to it when they handed it to you.
+1.

When I sold my M50, NO Test Rides. As the people looking at it were either first time riders or coming from something smaller. The guy who bought it was coming from a Honda Rebel. I only say NO to protect their safety and avoid a situtation that could have been nothing but grief. Plus nobody passed the "eyeball" test. However, the factors that dbvolfan listed are key IMHO.

When I bought my FJR, I had thoroughly researched here. I was fully prepared for no test ride. The first time I rode it, was after the guy I bought it from had cash in hand.