Seriously Injured fellow FJR'er

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis is both a friend and co-worker of mine. I didn't hear anything about this until I got to work this morning. I figured I could get better info here and I was right. Thanks Fjroamer for keeping us informed. I am going to see if visiting Dennis today would be a good idea. I called Harborview and, of course, they can't tell me much and I understand that. His visiting hours are from 10AM to 10PM. I don't have contact info for his wife but I'm working on it. In the meantime, I have passed what I know on to a dozen or more prayer warriors who are hitting their knees as I type this.

Dennis: I know you'll be reading this thread soon and that you'll be amazed at how many folks have posted their best wishes and thoughts for your recovery. Those that believe in prayer are doing so. Those that do not are thinking positively and pulling for you and it's ALL good. So, hang in there, be encouraged and know that there's a whole community of riders that care about you and want only the best outcome for you and your family.

Man, I spent summers at Mt. Rainier NP growing up because my Dad was a park ranger at Ohanapecosh. My first ride on a motorcycle ever was up Steven's pass with another ranger. I was about 10 or 12, I think. Even today, I think about riding those roads and passes on the FJR, and how exhilirating it might be, even at reasonable speeds. I've got to do it someday.

I really hope Dennis will be okay soon. I shudder to think of the potential danger when leaving the paved surface almost anywhere in that area. There's no such thing as a soft landing anywhere. Fingers crossed for his quick, minimally painful recovery.

Complete and total bummer. The helmet lost with chin strap still in place most definitely sounds uncool.... :unsure:

Prayers being sent. Heal up quickly, Dennis.....

Dennis is both a friend and co-worker of mine. I didn't hear anything about this until I got to work this morning. I figured I could get better info here and I was right. Thanks Fjroamer for keeping us informed. I am going to see if visiting Dennis today would be a good idea. I called Harborview and, of course, they can't tell me much and I understand that. His visiting hours are from 10AM to 10PM. I don't have contact info for his wife but I'm working on it. In the meantime, I have passed what I know on to a dozen or more prayer warriors who are hitting their knees as I type this.
Dennis: I know you'll be reading this thread soon and that you'll be amazed at how many folks have posted their best wishes and thoughts for your recovery. Those that believe in prayer are doing so. Those that do not are thinking positively and pulling for you and it's ALL good. So, hang in there, be encouraged and know that there's a whole community of riders that care about you and want only the best outcome for you and your family.
Please keep us posted on visiting, what is Dennis's last name, and when he can take visitors.

Thanks

Yeah, we'll have to discuss the helmet issue once Dennis is well enough. I'd like to know what brand and model and how well it fit, stuff like that.

Wow, I'm glad he is alive and is moving toes. I sure hope the mental functions come around and should if concussion. As to the helmet coming off, I've heard that before. It is a good reason to do a test especially with flip face by seeing if can pull from rear of the helmet with chin strap latched. Many people don't get the strap tight enough thinking that it will just stay OK if some slack. Some helmets seem to be more prone to failing a "pull off" test than others. I had a good friend who was rear ended few years ago whose helmet came off just like Dennis' did. He did switch to a different helmet that wouldn't come off from a rearward, upward pull.

doctorj

Very troubling news. Had I made the ride, I would very likely have been in this group and would have continued home from Chinook Pass summit.

My best wishes to Dennis and his family and friends.

Painful to read about another PNW rider going down. I ride that road often and have often noted that many of those corners can prove a logical exception to the "ride right" theory. Thoughts and prayers sent for a fast recovery.

My thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery. Forget "Get well soon", how about "Get well now!!!"

I am also curious about what type of helmet he was wearing. I have heard that the HJC flip face helmet (the lower model I think it was called the Cylmax) had this issue and thats why it was discontinued. I was told this by a vendor at Americade this past year, but I'm not sure if he was just trying to get me to buy a new helmet.

...the Helmet. Shows you that my mind was not all there... I saw it, picked it up, examined it, wondered whether to take it back with us, send it with the helicopter, or NPS officials. I don't know where it ended up, don't remember the brand, It ( the helmet) was flipped open and the flip front was not detatched, but again, I don't remember how tweaked it was. I've never been that stunned....... So much seemed to be a blur. After Dennis was evacuated, flaggers departed, NPS officials packing up, Dan and I went back down into the hole for a last sweep. 1 hour later (or so) I noticed the running lights glowing under the undergrowth. We turned it off and removed the key. There was no windscreen as I reached right over the top.The GPS (retrieved) was still attached near he triple clamp, undamaged. A little more fumbling around and we found a set of car keys on the ground. Must've fallen as medics said they had to cut away some of his clothing.

Keep up the support, encouragement and prayers. I only met Dennis for the first time on Saturday. He is unquestionably a good rider and had a good, friendly and enjoyable spirit about him. I couldn't have asked for two better riding companions that day!

Last edited by a moderator: