SHFT_26 AGAIN! - AS OF JULY 1, FJRHELL IS OVER!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Stump

Reaction score
I can't believe I am away on a weekend ride & my FJR is leaving me stranded YET AGAIN!

I went outside, packed her up, and then tried to start her. I am getting the shft_26 error on the AE and I can't get her to roll-over.

I am still 400 miles from home and it is SUNDAY!!!!

Any suggestions? I am going to start looking into towing options to get me to the dealer in Austin.

Any help would be appreciated as I am stranded in Big Spring, TX!

Best Regards,

Shane

979-218-6352

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear you are stranded.

I dont know what the error code is but I was just wondering if you have had a chance yet to check that ground connector under the left side of the fuel tank as discussed from that thread last week. It sounded like from your responses that you've been having similar problems.

Also, for a quicker response, I wonder if re-posting with the words HELP-STRANDED! might get more peoples attention. I almost missed this one, just checked out of curiosity.

Good luck.

Dan

Adjust the idle higher then start it up and see if you get the same error.

The idle screw can be reach on right side of the bike. You don't need to remove any panels to get to the screw.

There is a post around here with a pic. If, I find it I will edit this post and link to it.

EDIT

Link

This pic may be a GENI, but the screw is in the same place if I remember correctly.

I had to adjust mine a couple times after putting the PCIII on my bike. After the PCIII install air temperatures would affect me getting the 26 error.

I can't believe I am away on a weekend ride & my FJR is leaving me stranded YET AGAIN!
I went outside, packed her up, and then tried to start her. I am getting the shft_26 error on the AE and I can't get her to roll-over.

Any suggestions? I am going to start looking into towing options to get me to the dealer in Austin.

Best Regards,

Shane

979-218-6352

Shane,

Shift code 26 states "Abnormal clutch movement is detected during check when main switch is turned on"

"Detected clutch motor current when main switch is turned to ON is too high"

HJHFJR said:

Best Regards,

Shane

979-218-6352

Shane,

Shift code 26 states "Abnormal clutch movement is detected during check when main switch is turned on"

"Detected clutch motor current when main switch is turned to ON is too high"

I just got home via flat-bed + riding last 100 miles.

Tried everything and bike wouldn't start.

Called AAA and used by 200 mile two + paid for extra 90 miles to dealer (to leave bike).... I tried to start bike every stop we made on flatbed (3 times) and same results.

Get to Austin, get bike off flatbed, have credit card charged extra $247 for 90 miles.

I figure I will try bike one last time .... it STARTS every time! So I loaded my gear back up and rode straight home.

This is how my problems started last summer... dealer could never duplicate it but did see it do it once.... after bike leaving me stranded twice, Yamaha told dealer to replace the YCCC computer.... that seemed to fix that problem before al of my new electrical problems began.... it looks like we are repeating and I am starting to wonder if the original problem has ever been fixed.

Dealer has had their top tech look at it in the past and Yamaha had their regional guru look the bike over and say it looked good....

I am not sure where that leaves me since this problem is intermittent and seems to only happen when I am way beyond walking distance to the house :blink: !

Best Regards,

Shane

That's frustrating, I am sure. Kinda makes you want to get something under warranty, huh? At least you had a BEAUTIFUL day in central Texas to ride the last 90 miles.

Adjust the idle higher then start it up and see if you get the same error.
The idle screw can be reach on right side of the bike. You don't need to remove any panels to get to the screw.

There is a post around here with a pic. If, I find it I will edit this post and link to it.

EDIT

Link

This pic may be a GENI, but the screw is in the same place if I remember correctly.

I had to adjust mine a couple times after putting the PCIII on my bike. After the PCIII install air temperatures would affect me getting the 26 error.

Once again I learn something new about my FJR! Thanks. :thumbsupsmiley:

That's frustrating, I am sure. Kinda makes you want to get something under warranty, huh? At least you had a BEAUTIFUL day in central Texas to ride the last 90 miles.
Texan,

The ride back was BEAUTIFUL (about 4:45 - 6:30pm)!

I wanted to stop in Elgin for some BBQ or head down to Lockhart, but I was afraid the bike wouldn't start!

I am honestly thinking about purchasing a 2010 GL1800 at the end of summer .... I know to many the GL1800 is BORING compared to the FJR but this is my 6th trip being taken a good distance in flatbed with my FJR in the back (over 600 miles to date).....

The sad thing is I honestly don''t know what to do any more as my bike obviously has an electrical problem somewhere and I am at the disposal of everyone who represents Yamaha to guess what it is :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: !

Best Regards,

Shane

Has any other AE user had this error? I started getting this error last summer and after 6 weeks, Yamaha had the dealer replace the YCCC computer which I doubt was the problem. Any how, it seemed to fix the problem before I started getting other electrical problems....

I am honestly at my wits-end with this bike because no dealer is going to completely take it apart and diagnose every electrical connection without Yamaha's say-so!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Best Regards,

Shane

P.S. I have tried all previous suggestions and the code still comes up when I start the bike now in my garage!

Well, I just got off the phone with Yamaha Customer Service (I am starting to feel like I should work there) and they are having yet another dealer from 70 miles away pick up the bike and service the problem!

Hopefully the 3rd dealer is the charm!!!!

Oh well, the saga continues!

Best Regards,

Shane

Shane,

Hope you find your problem... leave the codes in the bike so the Tech can see it.

Don't feel bad, I have my bike to 5 Dealers with a Rare and Hard to Diagnose problem (Located in the Donut Hole of the Diagnosis Schema) ... at least Yamaha is making an effort to make this right.

P.S. When I talk to the experienced Service Reps, they All told me, Yamaha makes the Best Efforts to get things done

more than any other manufacturer. (I know it is hard to be patient & tolerant when your Fun Machine is on the Blink...I know.)

Shane,
Hope you find your problem... leave the codes in the bike so the Tech can see it.

Don't feel bad, I have my bike to 5 Dealers with a Rare and Hard to Diagnose problem (Located in the Donut Hole of the Diagnosis Schema) ... at least Yamaha is making an effort to make this right.

P.S. When I talk to the experienced Service Reps, they All told me, Yamaha makes the Best Efforts to get things done

more than any other manufacturer. (I know it is hard to be patient & tolerant when your Fun Machine is on the Blink...I know.)
As of now, I am in a patient mood (as long as they get it fixed by the weekend :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )!

I honestly hope the 3rd dealer is the charm!

Best Regards,

Shane

Shane,

As of now, I am in a patient mood (as long as they get it fixed by the weekend :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )!

Best Regards,

Shane
Shane,

I'm feelin' ya, man...don't know if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't have thrown in the towel by now. It sounds like your Feej is cursed.

didja piss-off odot or anything?

Shane,

Best Regards,

Shane
I'm feelin' ya, man...don't know if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't have thrown in the towel by now. It sounds like your Feej is cursed.

didja piss-off odot or anything?
I must have pissed off one of the bike-gods :dribble: :dribble: !

I am SERIOUSLY thinking of trading it in for a GL1800 at the end of the summer if my partner & I close a few more deals (software).

Best regards,

Shane

Shane,

Lemme see if I unnerstan this. You're gonna kick the Feej into the ditch, buy a Wingabago that has a clutch lever, but won't buy a Feej with one, instead condemn the one that doesn't have one and because of problems concerning that feature are jumping ship. Got it right?

Lemme see if I unnerstan this. You're gonna kick the Feej into the ditch, buy a Wingabago that has a clutch lever, but won't buy a Feej with one, instead condemn the one that doesn't have one and because of problems concerning that feature are jumping ship. Got it right?
Good points, Rad....BUT, with all the problems the lad has had, it is easy to see how he's soured on the Feej. Plus, it's not the first time Shane's mentioned the desire for a two-wheeled motorhome. Sounds like that's pretty "top-of-mind" in his desires, right next to the one to get his Feej running right.

BTW, did you get your FPR back? Still haven't heard from ya.

Rad,

Before commenting, I wish you could

1) Spent ~$780 out of your own pocket having your "reliable" bike that has been "fixed" several times towed (in less than 1 year and this is with road-side assistance but the bike always seems to break down far, far from home).

2) Spend 6+ hours on a BEAUTIFUL day riding back in a flatbed (again)!

3) Spend countless hours (actually days) talking to Yamaha Customer Service + various dealers who all mean well but the bike still seems to keep having problems.

Any how, my GL1800 was the most reliable bike I ever owned. I decided a while back I only needed one bike and I chose my FJR.... when the FJR rides without problems, I LOVE IT (why I have been willing to go through all this).... but I am honestly running out of patience.

I am too the point I would rather be riding the "Wingabago" as you call it then sitting in the passenger seat of a fladbed with my FJR on the back.

Too each their own.

Best Regards,

Shane

Well, just like Toyota dealerships, Honda dealers are unsure of what to do if a mechanical failure shows up, being as they have only oil change bays and personnel. Checked a GW forum or 2 and damn if some there aren't some people complaining of issues! I know, floored me too!

Seriously, your bike has a problem, always has, the cause has yet to be found. I don't know if you've had issues other than the Wonder-ShiftOmatic®, but as I alluded to previously, Yam does make a FJR without it. Were it me, and patience was running out, the dealer would be talked into one hell of a deal on a new machine sans the Super-TouchShift®.

Latest posts