Shorai Battery - not good in cold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex at Mishacycles.com has the 18 A/H battery for $165 with free shipping. If you list this forum and your forum name in the notes, he takes another $5 off before charging your card.

As usual, no affiliation other than being a forum friend, and I don't get nuttin out of it. I just think its a good deal and will go this route for my battery.
Funny... The Mishacycles website shows both 14 and 18 LFX battrees out of stock, and $169 for the 18. Sooooo.... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex at Mishacycles.com has the 18 A/H battery for $165 with free shipping. If you list this forum and your forum name in the notes, he takes another $5 off before charging your card.

As usual, no affiliation other than being a forum friend, and I don't get nuttin out of it. I just think its a good deal and will go this route for my battery.
Funny... The Mishacycles website shows both 14 and 18 LFX battrees out of stock, and $169 for the 18. Sooooo.... :unsure:
That's why I contacted him and asked. Says he has a load of them, but hadn't had a chance to update the site. The regular price IS $169. The price he gave me is for Forum members only.

I tried mine this morning in a temperature of 39.276 degrees. Plus or minus the .276. The bike started in around 1 second, maybe a tad more but certainly not 2 seconds.

It did seem to lag just a tad compared to normal, like maybe it cranked at 34.8 RPM's instead of 40. I let it run for awhile, killed it, and then started it again. Did about the same as the first time.
BR - Do have the older Shorai version or newer version? Which battree is it, 14AH, or 18AH?

I tried mine this morning in a temperature of 39.276 degrees. Plus or minus the .276. The bike started in around 1 second, maybe a tad more but certainly not 2 seconds.

It did seem to lag just a tad compared to normal, like maybe it cranked at 34.8 RPM's instead of 40. I let it run for awhile, killed it, and then started it again. Did about the same as the first time.
BR - Do have the older Shorai version or newer version? Which battree is it, 14AH, or 18AH?
It is the 14AH, I like it a lot. I have no idea on version but will check. It is all of two weeks old, but no idea how long it was on the shelf before I got it. I will figure it out when I get back to the house and can check it out.

How do I check to see if I have a gen 1 or gen2 18 amp battery? I bought it on May 24, 2011

Thanks

I order a battery back in april and received a e-mail stating

That they were on back order in april and they were waiting for a new and improved production of batteries and battery terminals, so that is all I have to go by. Two consecutive days of cold starts around 36 and the bike fires up in 1.5 seconds. Key in ignition, turn on, start button and vroom. 1.5 seconds 4 seconds total.

I bought one just a couple weeks ago. The battery terminals are of the newer type, and it came with two sets of terminal nuts with foam spacers. I don't think Gen I had that.

Here is a video of starting FJR in 30F with 18AMP Shorai.

Bike was sitting outside all night.

Bike has not been started in 8 days.

My link
Did seem to crank a bit slowly. I picked up the Shorai in May, so I've been monitoring how it does, now that its starting to get colder. Garage is usually 10 def F warming than ambient, so that will help. Wondering if turning on the motolights would help 'warm' the battery.

Here is a video of starting FJR in 30F with 18AMP Shorai.

Bike was sitting outside all night.

Bike has not been started in 8 days.

My link
Most excellent! Thanks for the great data point. It did turn over a bit slow, but still started it fairly easily. I assume if it hadn't started, a subsequent attempt shortly thereafter would have been successful.

Now, waiting for the 20 degree cold soak test. ;)

If someone wants to buy a gen 2 batt and ship it to me I'll test it all winter long.. down to 15F. PM your info if interested. Especially you Skooter! :huh:

I have a GEN 2 (18AMP) and GEN 2 (14AMP) Shorai. I will test it in the 25F and 20F as soon as it gets cold here in Chicago.

I will also post a short video of each.

My 4yo OEM battery cranks better than that.
Odd the differences between bikes... his start at 30F was better than what I experienced with the OEM battery and Westco batteries (two separate ones) used over the past several winters with my 05 ownership. I do see a noticeable difference in cold cranking speed when using a lighter weight oil in the winter time instead of the 20W-50 oil I use in the warmer months.

Finally changed my battery and she starts in the cold with in one second. Best sixty bucks I spent since that last male massage I got.