Shorai battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By the way, I could use some advice here.

When the bike does start on these cold mornings, I shut it off after about 5 seconds and begin the waiting process to try it again. Should I continue to do this, or change my precedure? Maybe I shouldn't let the bike run more than a second or so... to prevent the battery from getting charged by the bike's charging system???

Gary

king of the crow #44

Best advice: Once started, NEVER turn off the ignition until you have at least one bar on the temperature gauge. You risk flooding the engine, then you'll have a real test of the battery to get it started again.

Won't happen every time, but it's a real SOB when it does.

Best advice: Once started, NEVER turn off the ignition until you have at least one bar on the temperature gauge. You risk flooding the engine, then you'll have a real test of the battery to get it started again.

Won't happen every time, but it's a real SOB when it does.
Whoa !! I would have never dreamed... my FJR starts like it's on steroids, ALWAYS -- as long as there's enough voltage to gitter-done. Guess I've been blessed?? Anybody else out there experienced this?

Gary

Let there be crow#44

Biker geek, the information you've provided is so much like what I've read over and over on this forum and others like it. It was aproximately such and such a temperature and the bike wouldn't start.
You are correct - I am not a happy camper as far as Shorai batteries go. But this is 100% my opinion based 100% on my personal experience with it.

Aboot a year ago, I made a video of me trying to start the FJR in cold weather with the Shorai installed. FWIW, here you go and, for the record, the FJR DID start just after the video ends.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPwPBY_k6TA[/media]

And Gary - yah, killing the engine before it's warmed up can lead to flooding. There is a reason why I know this. Here's a LINKY with more information.

For some reason I feel like I'm an example for others...

Another conformation that turning off a cold engine and then restarting can cause a flooded condition.

Since 'Geeks bad experience Shorai has introduced a Gen II battery and upped the recommended AH rating for the FJR from 12 AH to 18 AH. 'Geeks battery is not the same as the one being sold from mid '12 on. In addition to chemistry and internal changes there was also a redesign of the battery posts. There have been no more reports of (rare) battery fires with the Gen II.

On the one hand, the chemistry and construction of the Shorai battery has the ability to move more current on startup compared to a conventional PbSO4 battery. On the other hand, the LiFEPO4 chemistry of the Shorai battery does not perform as well below 40ºF. Shorai claims that their battery will perform first crank 'normally' down to 20ºF. The FJR does not seem to back up this cold start claim even with the Gen II battery. Any players in the Great Battery Test need to be using the current Gen II 18 AH battery.

I love the idea of the LiFE battery but I'm waiting for the battery to move from being a guinea pig lab animal and become a proven mainstream battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the battery located quite high above the CG it's weight is not insignificant! Just a thought!

Doesn't mean a damn thing when the bike won't start, though, other than that's 10 less pounds to push.

I, too, experimented with a Shorai, the 18ah. I yanked it and it's been sitting on a bench in the garage for ... uh ... a while. The final straw was when the bike had been sitting for a couple of weeks, plugged into a Battery Tender, and I was going to ride to work. Temperature that day was somewhere in the low 40's or so. Bike would not start. I ordered a Westco from Bike Effects that day.

No way in hell would I ever endorse a Shorai battery.
I need a battery for my portable jump box. What ya take for yours?

My stock battery lasted 5 years! It has never been charged. It's just now showing signs of weakness, and is time to replace. I was considering the fancy new battery, but not starting in cold weather is a deal breaker. Last thing I need is to be camping in the mountains and the bike not start. Although I may consider a smaller one to use for recharging several devices on extended trips then regharge it when I get home.

Although I may consider a smaller one to use for recharging several devices on extended trips then regharge it when I get home.
For that application, the Shorai would accel as it's lightweight, doesn't leak because it contains no fluids, and doesn't have to be stored upright. No doubt there will be more than a few around the country sitting on shelves due to their poor cold weather manners. Maybe we've stumbled upon the the perfect life's work for a used Shorai.

Gary

crow sliders (yum)#44

Has anyone using the new Shorai battery considered relocating it to the tool box location under the seat? It looks like it would fit there and free up a lot of room where the original battery is located.

Stay tuned:

Tonight it's going down into the low 30's. All the plants are covered up, and I've wheeled the FJR out of the garage and onto the driveway in preparation for the big freeze. Hopefully, I'll be trying it at right around freezing first thing in the morning. The plan is to turn the heated grips on low for about 3 or 4 minutes before my first attempt. We'll see what happens.

Don't touch that dial...

Gary

crow chomper #44

Gary,

I am waiting with bait on my breath.
bad.gif

Every so often we get down toward freezing here in the San Jose Bay Area. Since I work the graveyard shift my bike sits out all night long. Several mornings I've had the fun of attempting to start my AE with a thick layer of frost on the seat. Usually the first 2 or 3 attempts fail but it does fire eventually. My drill is to make the first attempt as soon as I walk up to the bike. I don't wait a given amount of time, I watch my Datel voltage monitor climb back up to 13.2 volts before stabbing that button again. Typically by the time it fires up the disk lock and lunch box are stowed, my stitch is zipped up and the gloves are on. It always seems for me to take a bit longer to get under way than the cagers around me. Thats O.K., I'm in no hurry, I usually catch a nap on the commute home anyway.

By the way, for all my fellow SHORAI guineapigs owners, you may want to mosey on over to the Pay It Forward thread. I am offering something that may be of interest for the first to take the bait.

smile.png

Brodie

Finally got some decent (is there such a thing?) cold weather. It was 34 bone chilling degrees outside. Good grief, I just looked at the thermometer and it's 39 already... and it's only been 15 minutes since I was outside getting the FJR started. Weather man says sunny and 70 today. Anyway, I left the bike outside last night (something I NEVER do) to be able to test the Shorai at a colder temp. When I turned the key on it was 34 degrees. Here's the results:

Check voltmeter: 13.2
Turn on heated grips to medium setting: voltage slowly dropped to 12.7 or so. 3 minutes later I hit the start button for 6 seconds. Cranked slowly at first, then got slower still. Voltage dropped to the 8's. No start. Clock reset to 1:00. Cranking duration: about 6 seconds

Second attempt: Left the key (and parking lights) on, waited one minute, tried again: voltage just before turning the key, 12.5 Same results as above, no apparent difference in cranking speed (that I could tell). Cranking duration: about 6 seconds.
Third attempt: Left the key on again, waited one minute, voltage just before hitting starter button: 12.6 Same results as above with the exception that engine cranked slightly faster initially, but slowed to a very slow steady crank. Cranking duration: about 6 seconds
Fourth attempt: Left the key on again, waited one minute, voltage just before hitting starter button, 12.8 Same results as above with the exception that engine cranked quite a bit faster (initially), almost fast enough to start (I'm getting good at telling by ear what cranking speed is necessary to light her off, it's pretty consistent). Clock didn't reset this time, but starter slowed to a slow steady crank... faster than earlier attempts. Cranking duration: about 4 seconds
Fifth attempt: Left the key on again, waited one minute, voltage just before hitting starter button, 12.9 Wow what a difference. The last attempt was noticeably faster, and this one was faster still. I could hear as soon as I hit the button that we were within the range where it normally starts. And of course, it did.
Total duration of all this: about 7 or 8 minutes.

What I learned today: the engine definitely cranks faster each time I make the attempt. Today I noted that the battery's voltage after waiting one minute in between starting attempts was rising slowly.

THIS IS SOMETHING I DIDN"T KNOW, AND HAVE NEVER READ CONCERNING THESE BATTERIES.

At the instant just before hitting the starter button, the voltage was getting higher with each attempt. This correlated exactly with what I was hearing as the battery cranked the engine over quicker with each subsequent attempt.

Still not sure how long it might take to wake up the battery by just running the lights or the grip warmers for a while instead of actually attempting to start the bike over and over. I DO KNOW that making these repeated attempts works, and it works well. The battery consistently gets the job done once it starts waking up. Interesting to watch how this battery reacts to repeated attempts to start the engine. Every other battery I've ever owned... be it for a car OR a bike, cranked slower with each subsequent attempt. The Shorai indeed works just the opposite.

Gary
the crowman#44

ps: curious about the actual size and power of available Shorai batteries? https://www.shoraipower.com/specs.html

--the one they recommended for the fjr is the FX18A1-BS12... case size #1 on the link above.

I've got a desulfating charger from bike effects...so I'm not really interested in changing technologies yet.

I'm trying to remember the advantages of this battery besides lesser weight and size?

It obviously costs more, and still does seem to be in a beta stage...

EDIT: Thanks to all who are forging the way forward in determining whether this battery will succeed for the FJR owners.

Great test to confirm the cold weather performance still isn't up to snuff. Still a deal killer for me.

After the repeated attempts to start, I'm surprised the bike wasn't flooded...big time.

--G

Great test to confirm the cold weather performance still isn't up to snuff. Still a deal killer for me.

After the repeated attempts to start, I'm surprised the bike wasn't flooded...big time.

--G
Escape

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. But like i said, as soon as I cranked it the 5th time when the voltage came up to 12.9, I could hear that it was cranking over at the speed that's required for starting. About a second to a second and a half of that and bang, it started with authority, and idled smoothly at about 2k rpms while it warmed up. The FJR has never failed to start, even with all the battery troubles I've had... as long as it was turning over fast enough to do so. Wish I knew why other FJR's flood and mine doesn't but as the old saying goes, never look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll just be happy to be the proud owner of an FJR. And the best part: it's all paid off.

I have the 18ah also. Im in north central Indiana and am experiencing the same things gary is talking about. I went out to the garage yesterday to start the fjr and it wouldnt start till I woke the battery up. But it did start. The garage temp was 28 degrees. As far as price- I paid 169 bucks for it and thats what the dealer wanted for a OEM battery.

Great test. Thanks for posting. I will not forget this one. Living in the Specific Northwet, I ride in cold weather from time to time and don't need a battery I have to warm up. I do appreciate the Shorai's size - it would be nice to have a fuse box up front but not at the expense of a battery that requires warming up.