Should I buy an '08 or '09?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the better deal used '08 or new '09 model

• Save $2k and get an '08

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's worth $2k to buy "new"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bk000

Reaction score
Please vote...

Ok, so the wife relented and is allowing me to drop some serious change on a new bike but I don't want to be stupid about it.

There are a couple of '08s for sale in the area with less than 2k miles on them.

The price for new 2009 from the local stealerships is about $2k more.

For a $2k premium I would get:

1.) A never before ridden bike that I would break in...both a good and bad thing. Good: I would do the break-in procedure. Bad: I would have to wait 1k miles to really start "enjoying" the bike.

2.) 12 mos. of warranty.

3.) A revised clutch.

Be sure and VOTE in the POLL above. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking myself and was wondering the same thing .... I like the look of the 09 better and since being the original owner as well as a newer bike the 09 is my vote.

there are new left over 08 and 07s out there...i bought a new left over 07 in march.. still get the warrenty and save the $$... good luck..

Howdy folks I'm back. Picked up an 09 last thursday in Florence, Co. Rode the required 600 miles and went back to the dealer Saturday for oil change.

So, I vote for the 09 because it's the fastest, best looking, stealth mode som bitch out there. :ph34r:

Howdy folks I'm back. Picked up an 09 last thursday in Florence, Co. Rode the required 600 miles and went back to the dealer Saturday for oil change.So, I vote for the 09 because it's the fastest, best looking, stealth mode som bitch out there. :ph34r:
I like this guy!! B)

Thanks for the replies!

Although, I don't think 13 votes is a representative sample.

I'll keep checking back...

BK ~ While you're sitting here on the pot looking for a representative sample, some other SOB is out there snagging the deal that could have been yours!

Pull the trigger, man! :p

Don

I voted for the 2008, but you may want to make sure you can still get the YES extended warranty if you want it (well worth the $400 from D&H). If they 2008s have been in private hands for more than a year, their factory warranty may have run out - and thus the window to buy the YES has expired.

If you can still buy the YES for the 2008s, a 4 year warranty vs. a 5 year (YES + factory for a new bike) isn't such a big deal.

If you buy the 2009, I believe you can write off the sales tax on your income taxes (part of the stimulus package). That drops the difference to less then $2,000.00.

Man, I just had to sell my 1-year old KLR, and I hate to say it, but I took an awful bath. Fact is, after I replaced my wrecked FJR, the KLR just wasn't getting any attention, pointless to keep making the payments. But still, what a hit on depreciation, not to mention all the extra dough I put into it making it right for me. And what a crappy time to be trying to sell ANYTHING!

My point (and I do have one) is this is a hell of a GOOD time to be buying a used FJR--or KLR--or anything else. There are so many excellent Gen II feejers here on the forum and elsewhere with low miles, all the expensive goodies you'd go spending boo-coo bucks to put on already installed. Go price sliders, heated grips, cruise control, top cases, bigger windscreens, aux. lighting, and on and on. You'll get a bike that's broken in, maybe a set of fresh tires, lots of wonderful miles in front of it, set up just how you'd want it, or darn close. AND you'll have lots left over for a nice set of Cycleport gear like Toe's. :p And five or six coast-to-coast trips worth of gas.

I voted for the 2008, but you may want to make sure you can still get the YES extended warranty if you want it (well worth the $400 from D&H). If they 2008s have been in private hands for more than a year, their factory warranty may have run out - and thus the window to buy the YES has expired.
If you can still buy the YES for the 2008s, a 4 year warranty vs. a 5 year (YES + factory for a new bike) isn't such a big deal.
+1 - if you can still get the YES (or if the '08 has it, get it transferred?) If it's out of factory warranty, I would opt for a new bike, regardless of year.