Side bag removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pronomian

Reaction score
How hard is is to remove and replace the side bags? The "kid" putting the bags on had a somewhat of a difficult time, though not that bad really, putting them on. Should they be a "snap" to take off and put on? Or do they take some "maneuvering?"

Mike

How hard is is to remove and replace the side bags? The "kid" putting the bags on had a somewhat of a difficult time, though not that bad really, putting them on. Should they be a "snap" to take off and put on? Or do they take some "maneuvering?"
Mike
Easy on, easy off. Shouldn't be a problem. Take one off and see where the attachments go and it'll be second nature in no time.

When you initially pull up on the handle it almost feels as if you are going to break it off if you continue to lift but you will hear an audible click when it unlatches. Just pull straight up to remove and when reinstalling just line up the bottom "socket" with the rubber tipped lug and make sure you get an audible click when you are latching. When I picked up my bike the owner of the dealership had to scratch his head for 30 seconds or so before he figured it out...

When you initially pull up on the handle it almost feels as if you are going to break it off if you continue to lift but you will hear an audible click when it unlatches. Just pull straight up to remove and when reinstalling just line up the bottom "socket" with the rubber tipped lug and make sure you get an audible click when you are latching. When I picked up my bike the owner of the dealership had to scratch his head for 30 seconds or so before he figured it out...
+1 on aligning the bottom of the bag with the tab on the bike. Very easy and fast for off/on.

I give mine a test lift once they're on to make sure they're seated right. Not interested in having one take off on me.

+1 on aligning the bottom of the bag with the tab on the bike. Very easy and fast for off/on.

I give mine a test lift once they're on to make sure they're seated right. Not interested in having one take off on me.
roger that on what jeff said. and they DO feel like funk when they are new, especially if you are used to hondas or bmws! ;) that said, i'll ride the feej any day...

shu

I never noticed an audible click when removing or installing mine. They do go on and off very easy. I always make sure the top tangs are securely in the slots, not just hooked over the thin body plastic, before folding the handle down.

roger that on what jeff said. and they DO feel like funk when they are new, especially if you are used to hondas or bmws! ;) that said, i'll ride the feej any day...

shu
My new AE bags are very stiff to unlatch and remove. Audible pop when they release but feels like they will break before finally releasing. Hope it gets easier with use.

The more you take them on and off, the easier they get. I know the first couple of times I took mine off I thought I was going to break something because it was very hard to get the handle up and down. Now they move much easier.

I would say that FJR Bag removal is very easy, even the first time. Just line up the rubber tab when re-installing it for sure. It makes it way better to shine up the exhaust pipes and clean the crud out of the swingarm and fender area.

Go for it.

The '06 FJR has noticeably stiffer latching onto the bike than in previous years.

The '06 FJR has noticeably stiffer latching onto the bike than in previous years.
You think that is due to the redesigned bracket or...?

If I recall the '06 redesign made the bike almost 2" slimmer in the rear with the bags on

Never tried taking off any '06 bags yet myself, should have played with the demo bike a little more at Reno.

My '06 s are harder to pop off then the '04 was, but they had been off and on a few times before I bought the '04.

I like the "click" when the latch is engaged. And I like the new latch openings-- better looking without the covers than the '04, so I can ride around without.

I will probably pin the bags like I did on the '04 for peace of mind-- I'm getting forgetful. Looks easier to do on the '06 due to the metal under the rubber peg being hollow and not solid like on the '04. B)

Remember the "No Bag Left Behind" fix?

Drill a hole thru the lower side case mounts and the rubber covered bracket where the case mounts. Insert a "wire lock pin" and, voila, no bag left behind!

I can't take credit for this idea but I do remember it.

My '06 s are harder to pop off then the '04 was, but they had been off and on a few times before I bought the '04.
I like the "click" when the latch is engaged. And I like the new latch openings-- better looking without the covers than the '04, so I can ride around without.

I will probably pin the bags like I did on the '04 for peace of mind-- I'm getting forgetful. Looks easier to do on the '06 due to the metal under the rubber peg being hollow and not solid like on the '04. B)
Went to pin the bags and one side worked fine. Had trouble getting the other side work or line up and go on and off easily. Finally noticed the rubbers are tapered not rectangular. There's and up and down-- take them off and put them in the lower bracket slot on the bag and you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, one rubber piece has 2 holes in it now rather than one like the other side. But the bag slides off and on easily. B)

Latest posts