Sidestand fix?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not arguing that it doesn't work like others.I am arguing that now that you know you should remember.

I fully extend all of mine and don't rely on anything to make sure it holds my bike.

It is something that everytime on any bike I make sure it is done right.
So you are telling me that just because I recognize a flaw exists in something, I should just live with it instead of fixing it? Why in the world would I want to do that? I don't get this logic.

After the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion, folks at Nasa learned that the cause was from launching in too cold of conditions that resulted in O rings leaking. I wonder, why did they go to all the trouble and expense of redesigning the O ring seals when all they had to do was not launch in cold temperatures to avoid the problem?

If I fix my sidestand, and it just saves me from dropping my bike one time, it is worth every bit of effort I put into fixing it.

If you feel totally confident that you will never make a mistake and not get your sidestand down 100% then more power to you. I sincerely hope you never drop your bike, and have this happen to you. Personally, I know I am not perfect, and there is a likelihood I could at one time or another not get my stand all the way 100% down and locked, and recognizing my shortcomings, I am seeking a way to prevent it from happening to me again. I appologize if it somehow offends anyone that I would like to improve my bike to make it better and share this knowledge with others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not arguing that it doesn't work like others.

I am arguing that now that you know you should remember.

I fully extend all of mine and don't rely on anything to make sure it holds my bike.

It is something that everytime on any bike I make sure it is done right.
So you are telling me that just because I recognize a flaw exists in something, I should just live with it instead of fixing it? Why in the world would I want to do that? I don't get this logic.

After the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion, folks at Nasa learned that the cause was from launching it too cold of conditions that resulted in O rings leaking. I wonder, why did they go to all the trouble and expense of redesigning the O ring seals when all they had to do was not launch in cold temperatures to avoid the problem?

If I fix my sidestand, and it just saves me from dropping my bike one time, it is worth every bit of effort I put into fixing it.

If you feel totally confident that you will never make a mistake and not get your sidestand down 100% then more power to you. I sincerely hope you never drop your bike, and have this happen to you. Personally, I know I am not perfect, and there is a likelihood I could at one time or another not get my stand all the way 100% down and locked, and recognizing my shortcomings, I am seeking a way to prevent it from happening to me again.
It seems that you want things to just be the way you want it.

Every parking situation involves thinking, the angle your bike is positioned, the ground and if the sidestand will dig into it and on and on. Like I said, the bike has been out for 4 years, it is not something that has changed in all those years. The amount that have had a problem with it is less than a %.

If you can't remember to think about a simple thing like how to put down your kickstand you have way more problems than that believe me. It was something I noticed the first time I put it down. I never had a problem because I kept my foot in contact with it all the way to stop and even as I layed the bike over.

It is so simple it doesn't require any more time or discussion than just that.

I think Fred's point is being missed.

Those of us that aren't having the sidestand problem have compensated for that engineering short-coming. I leave the bike in first, let out the tranny slack, put the sidestand down all the way, and leave my boot behind it as I dismount.

All Fred is saying is that he would like to find a way for the sidestand to retract from 60%, like most other bikes. I mean, do we want to discourage folks from tweaking their bikes and sharing this info. on the forum? I don't. Whether I will use the information or not is immaterial, some will.

I think Fred's point is being missed.
Those of us that aren't having the sidestand problem have compensated for that engineering short-coming. I leave the bike in first, let out the tranny slack, put the sidestand down all the way, and leave my boot behind it as I dismount.

All Fred is saying is that he would like to find a way for the sidestand to retract from 60%, like most other bikes. I mean, do we want to discourage folks from tweaking their bikes and sharing this info. on the forum? I don't. Whether I will use the information or not is immaterial, some will.
You know how many problems become preceived as a problem by people just because they read it on the internet?

The fjr sits fairly straight up.

You could change it to sit lower and to have the kickstand more forward.

Many on Harleys change their kickstands to lean the bike over more and to be different than stock to suit them but that doesn't mean that stock is a problem.

I don't think that stock on the fjr is a problem, different maybe but not a problem.

If you find you want it to act special for you great but I wouldn't call it a fix to something that really isn't anything more than operator error.

If you close a knife on your finger it isn't the knifes fault it is your fault for doing it wrong.

I haven't tried to discourage him from changing anything but I don't think the sidestand should ever become something you should "EXPECT" to be down. You should ALWAYS check.

He made it seem like after coming off the centerstand and possibly hitting it that it should have stayed there.

That was his wrong assumption.

Perhaps what they are trying to say, Fred, is that your thread topic wording would seem to suggest that there is something wrong with the component, when, in fact, it's plainly an operator issue.

If you do not absolutly make certain it is 100% fully deployed, the bike can and will fall over when you rest it on the sidestand.
You are simply referring to a lack of situational awareness here. When you extend your sidestand, don't extend it 90% or 95% of the way.... extend it all the way. Problem solved.

So you are telling me that just because I recognize a flaw exists in something, I should just live with it instead of fixing it?
Perhaps there is merit in examining if it's really a "flaw", or if it's perhaps an operator-induced problem, and thereby becomes a "flaw" in your own mind. It's clear to me, however, having been on this platform for many years now, that the latter is the issue here. If you operate the component correctly - extend the sidestand all the way, even so far as to give it a little kick with your boot to ensure it's all the way forward - then you should never have a problem.

But if one is inattentive, in a hurry, or otherwise distracted.... it's not the bike's fault; it's the operator's fault.

I give up. Uncle. I am obviously an idiot and don't know a thing.

Now, now Fred. You can't go giving us ammunition like that. Do you have any idea how difficult it was for me not to have a little fun here? ;)

Mark the time and date folks. SkooterG actually excercised a wee bit of self control.

:lol:

Perhaps what they are trying to say, Fred, is that your thread topic wording would seem to suggest that there is something wrong with the component, when, in fact, it's plainly an operator issue.
Seems to be a common theme on this board. There isn't a single thing wrong with the FJR, every single perceived problem can be blamed on the operator. Valves don't tick, operators are just too sensitive to noise. Bikes don't get hot, folks just need to learn to adjust and wear aluminum foil underwear. Throttles aren't too sensitive, folks just need to learn not to turn the throttle more than .05mm at a time.

The only thing that needs fixed is the operator, cause obviously the bike is perfect and has no room at all for improvements. And the reason all those other manufacturers make side stands that lock forward is cause the riders of those other bikes are all sissies.

I found another Yamaha memo, but I shant post it. Looks like skooter has done a sufficient job here. Give that man a gold star! :grin:

Seems to be a common theme on this board. There isn't a single thing wrong with the FJR, every single perceived problem can be blamed on the operator.
Bingo. The magic bullet.

I give up. Uncle. I am obviously an idiot and don't know a thing.
Funny some times you start a post like this and you are acclaimed a visionary, other times you are made out to be an idiot. :blink:

I too would like to see a fail safe FJR sidestand locking system; and maybe after using one for several years I would probably learn to stop kicking it several times to ensure that the sucker is really and truly all the way forward.

Let this thread be a lesson to anyone who wishes to come to this forum and share anything about how to fix something on this bike.

I too would like to see a fail safe FJR sidestand locking system; and maybe after using one for several years I would probably learn to stop kicking it several times to ensure that the sucker is really and truly all the way forward.
I'm quite pleased to perform this little step as insurance against a tip-over. Not a big deal. Second nature.

Every time I sit down in my car I buckle up. Every time I leave the room I shut off the light. Every time I deploy the sidestand I hold it forward w/ my boot to ensure a complete and safe deployment. Second nature. Done deal. No added effort...no regrets.

Now...go ride. :rolleyes:

bikeforsale.jpg

Let this thread be a lesson to anyone who wishes to come to this forum and share anything about how to fix something on this bike.
No. Let this be a lesson that one person's alleged fix isn't a design defect to most others.

We just pick on folks that delude themselves into thinking motorcycles should have magic powers.

If it's really a defect to you....then you should probably go beyond the grinding or sidestand repair and just install something like this:

bmw08.jpg

Oh, for crying out loud. Such drama!

Get off your high horse Fred. If it all possible, try to shrink that huge ego of yours. Have you ever considered that its not WHAT you are saying, but HOW you are saying it? You may be one hell of an engineer, but your people skills need some work.

And yes, so do mine! B)

I'm quite pleased to perform this little step as insurance against a tip-over. Not a big deal. Second nature.Every time I sit down in my car I buckle up ( what? you don't give the belt a sharp tug to make sure the belt is fully engaged and operational.) Every time I leave the room I shut off the light (what? you don't peek back in the room to make sure the light really stayed shut?)

Now...go ride. :rolleyes:

Ok I'm riding now :lol:

Seems to be a common theme on this board.
Oh, not just here, I assure you of that! :lol: You can go to most any modern web forum and find the same phenomena: those that are new to the platform (say, less than a year of ownership) are quick to point out a perceived "issues" and want to discuss how to "fix" them. Those that have been on the bike for many years and have already gone through this phase pretty much just have to sit back and smile. We were there once.

There isn't a single thing wrong with the FJR, every single perceived problem can be blamed on the operator.
Well, you can be facetious if you want to, but the fact is, in the case of the sidestand issue, yes, it's an operator issue.

When Dale uses the F word, it's time to take a step back and re-evaluate ones options.... ;) :p

While I agree it's an operator issue and not a design flaw per se because the stand does in fact work, I would suggest that it could be made to be more operator friendly.

How's that? Everyone happy?