Signup For E. KY Ride April 11-14th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not the rain that is the problem, but what it does to the ride. You can't enjoy the twisties and you are always looking for the crap it washed onto the road. It is like getting the keys to a high performance helicopter and being told you can only go hover because the weather is too bad to go screaming across the tree tops at 140KIAS. If I can't ride the way I want to, then what is the point.

I hope the Wx man is wrong and you guys have a great time. The good side is I had a bunch of crap come up at work while I was gone today that I have to take care of tomorrow. So even if I went I would have had to head back on Sunday.

Please tell me someone checked Scab's tire pressure before he went out to play. ;)

It is not the rain that is the problem, but what it does to the ride. You can't enjoy the twisties and you are always looking for the crap it washed onto the road. It is like getting the keys to a high performance helicopter and being told you can only go hover because the weather is too bad to go screaming across the tree tops at 140KIAS. If I can't ride the way I want to, then what is the point. I hope the Wx man is wrong and you guys have a great time. The good side is I had a bunch of crap come up at work while I waat I have to take care of tomorrow. So even if I went I would have had to head back on Sunday.

Please tell me someone checked Scab's tire pressure before he went out to play. ;)
borrec. You are missing a great time here at Pine Mtn . Its 65 and sunny here, had a great ride today, you are missing it

Just posting up to let everyone know that Lovely Lady and I returned home safe around lunch today. Great ride, great people, big thanks to Keithaba for all the ground work, prep and efforts!!!

Hey Borrec, you are now officially competing with Fencer for the award.

:)

Just wanted to let everyone know that the wife and I made it home safe and sound. It was a bit cold on the ride home (34 degrees at times) but we had no snow and very little rain. All in all, a great weekend event.

Hey, hey.

Home and warm again.

Highlights:

Friday - nice ride and finished up the day with an indoor swim.

Saturday - beautiful day, fun ride, until the front end washed out in a left hand turn onto a one lane bridge

and we got dumped doing 15-20mph.

The bike (still in gear) jumps right back up, and we found ourselves watching it drive away without us.

30 yards later...., well that's not going to end well....

Sunday - Everything but the left mirror is functional. Nothing worse than her bruised knee.

F*#K IT. Let's ride.

Heidi leads the Indy Crash Crew and a Goldwing over the mountain, in the snow.

First time in 5 years the FJR windsheild is covered in snow while moving!

Wonderful dinner a Breaks park with great company. I'd go back there.

Monday - 34 degrees,

wet,

nothing but mountain roads,

and 1 1/2 hours 'til dawn.

Let's roll.

9.5 hours later, home at last.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you guys made it home safely! I hope that Angela's knee feels better real soon! Good to see you!

JW

Made it home yesterday; cold and wet. Saturday's ride is the only one I remember, though. Rt. 421 was awesome!

Great roads, great bikes, great people; Mrs. Jager and I loved it.

Glad everyone had a nice time and everything seemed to go well for the most part with the adverse riding conditions that some of you may have met up with.

brent and Angela sorry to hear about you spill and hope your knee heals up and glad the bike was still in pretty good shape and you could ride it home...

Hey all post up some photos of you all and the fun places you saw and visited.

Yeah, 421 was a hoot when i road it almost all the way to Boone for the o6 gathering.

i could ride that everyday......

Hey Gang,

Made it home Sunday just fine! It took me a little over 14 hours with stops to thaw the toes, :cold: lunch and dinner! Temps were in the upper 30's half the way home and saw snow at the higher elevations. I decided to ride VA58 all the way across the state of Virginia, west to east, really cool! That is a great road all the way from Middlesboro to Martinsville.

Had a blast, meet some fine people and eat BEER DOGS! (picts to come soon). Also, Scab does have a flatulences problem. :bad: (just kidding).

Later,

V

:assassin: :cold: Hey all, great weekend, any who, I did not get very many pics this time. Could you guys please send some my way. (No money shots please) :) My kids already think that I am nuts.

I also wanted to thank everyone for the TLC after our asfalt surfing. Luckily neither Brent nor I were seriously hurt and we were blessed to have all of those great FJR people around to help us out. I must say, yall come prepared. Very prepared. OK, ya next time I will pack a real first aid kit with meds and bandages. I owe you an ace bandage Heidi. You really do not want this one back. (Maybe I should see what I can weasle out of my doctor) A big thanks to all ! :)

As a tourist, when Brent started buying me gear, I thought that he was nuts. After all who needs those jackets, boots and armored pants. They just take up space in the coat closet and you get loads of stares when you wear them. Five years later, I have seen what a good set of armour can do. I guess all of his nagging paid off, thank you honey and oh I found a new pair of pants on line............. they are only $250 ..... oh and there is a really cool helmet to match. Do they sell snow suits for bikers? ?? I think that a heated vest is in order.....

See you guys at the EOM, if not before.

ang

Angela,

I'm glad that you are both OK. Check out the link below. At the bottom of the ride report on my website there is a link where you can download the full resolution pictures. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

JW

Ride Report Link

I'm so glad to see that you guys made it through relatively unscathed. I can't say as much for Brent's bike. What's he planning to do with it? No sweat on the Ace bandage, Angela. I'm glad to help you out.... & that bandage did what you wanted it to do. That's a good thing.

OK, here are a few of the picture I took:

Beer Dogs - Yum!

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

That Nasty Little Bridge on KY 221 :assassin:

PICT0019.jpg

Scab at Cumberland Falls

PICT0035.jpg

And Some one taking a wiz out the back door - :unsure:

PICT0017.jpg

He he!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on my toy:

Back on the road!!!! Woo-ho!!

Spent several weeks out of town on bid-ness, so that slowed progress down,

but the 3 day weekend got me there.

Progressive coughed up $4300 including some gear replacement. We haggled a little, but they did me right.

So far, I'm out ~$2500 plus about 40 wrenching hours. (I work slow)

New upgrades:

Added a Centech fuse box with custom harness from EasternBeaver

(Damn those little things are pricey, but I had a heated grip gremlin was pissing me off, and this seems to have cured it.)

2nd Look tank bra. (black bras are always sexy :) )

Used pieces mounted:

front fender off Ebay (actually that scratch was not from this event, but got replaced anyway)

R&G slidder from the bottom of my tool box. A bonus of being a long term FJR owner. ;)

New stuff: (all from Ron Ayers, free shipping in April made them the easy choice. It was a big ass box.)

left side - lower, upper, and FZ-1 mirror

headlight / nose cowl (both mine had broken mounting tabs)

front subframe

generator cover & gasket

speedo rear mounting plate (had a broken mounting point)

Maintenance while it was down:

fresh fork oil and brake fluid (front and back)

disassembled and cleaned front calipers (mostly)

Still have a small dent in the tank and a scratched turn signal. Time will tell if those get replaced.

I bought a used tank off Ebay, but it arrived damaged. The seller says he will refund my money and pay shipping,

so it's all good. If that works out, I'll be giving them a favored supplier plug.

So, I'll roll with the dented tank for a while. If you know of an undamaged '03 tank shot me a PM.

A used '03 saddlebag is on the way from a very gracious forum member. You guys rock!!!

I figured pics of a fixed FJR would be a little silly. It looks like the one on the far left of the top of the page. B)

except for the custom Corbin, bobbed tail, D&D cans, FJRForum logo windsheild, SS bar weights, Jastek power plug, Modified rear shock area Ohlins shock, and..... maybe I'll just take a pic.......

See ya on the road !!!!! :drinks: :bye:

Good to hear that your mistress is on the mend; hope the evilbay tank works out.

After weeks of torture, I'm sure you need to ride!

Glad to hear about it, Brent. I sure was really proud of you guys finishing out the weekend in style. As Angela said... Hey, we have a babysitter so we're gonna' ride!

I have a picture that I've been wanting to post since no pics of this person were taken all weekend. First thing in the morning, being in the fun mood, I took a piture of Borrec as he slept.

hola061.jpg

Ahhhh, I must have just missed him. He's already in the bathroom taking that morning constitution.