• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skyway's Aux. Fuel Cell Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to exactly tell from the pics, but does the mounting kit protect the area below it from the elements as well as the passenger seat does now? Trying to figure out if the electronic stuff I have under there now is at any greater risk of getting wet.
There is a gap there as shown in the photo, but I'm working on the raincover to shroud this area during rain. I'm seeing if it's possible to use the 2 front posts of the rack as anchor points to hold it in position. Nothings decided yet, but another aspect of the design is that I have to ensure that the rain cover can be removed quickly for fuel stops with little fuss and maintain under seat protection from the elements.

Hi Skyway

I have sent a couple of questions via PM's but I haven't got a response. Just curious if they are actually getting to you?

Hi Skyway
I have sent a couple of questions via PM's but I haven't got a response. Just curious if they are actually getting to you?
I have the PM's, however I'm hunkered down right now and snowed in. Pricing for shipping to follow soon for the Canadian contingent of fuel starved FJR pilots. :D

Hi Skyway
I have the PM's, however I'm hunkered down right now and snowed in. Pricing for shipping to follow soon for the Canadian contingent of fuel starved FJR pilots. :D
Thanks!!!!!!!

Tom

System looks great, check is in the mail

Thanks Ian for putting this together.

Here's a couple more photo's I took today. The first shows what the color of the raincover will look like, and the second is another angle.

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Ian.

I went to public schools so a bit slow sometimes ...would you mind confirming my thoughts here ..and a few questions as well:

$400.oo (375 + 25ship)

$170.oo <optional> cover

$185.oo (aprox) for tank

$???.?? for misc fittings/parts etc to pipe fuel into the primary tank.

-----------

-You say:

"I will not be supplying the fuel cell or the bulkhead fitting that will be required for fuel supply to the front of the bike. This transaction will be between you and the manufacturers/suppliers of the product."
I totally understand! But wonder if you could give some (rough) idea as to what additional parts we'll need, their aprox cost, best sources and if you don't mind, a brief overview of what is involved. If you're not comfortable with doing this, perhaps others can provide a source for this info. Not asking you to go further than you've stated, but aproximates with a general idea of needed parts and what is involved to pipe this aux fuel to the main tank would be appreciated. (Perhaps there are some write-ups here on the forum that I missed?)

I'm assuming that this will work with non-oem front seat sections (ie: front Corbin). I currently use Corbin Canyon which works well for me ...but obvioulsy will go away with your groovy mounting stuff. So, I'll be swapping my Canyon out for a front modular Corbin or perhaps having Rick Mayer re-do my OEM for when I have the tank on.

What is your APROX guess to the time/effort involved to swap this out to OEM configuration? (like when you need to go 2-up) ..and vice versa? Can it be done relatively easy and say in 20minutes or less guestimated ..or is it a more involved job?

Sorry for the D U M (dumb) questions, .....and thanks much

...renojohn

Nice job Ian.
I went to public schools so a bit slow sometimes ...would you mind confirming my thoughts here ..and a few questions as well:

$400.oo (375 + 25ship)

$170.oo <optional> cover

$185.oo (aprox) for tank

$???.?? for misc fittings/parts etc to pipe fuel into the primary tank.

-----------

-You say:

"I will not be supplying the fuel cell or the bulkhead fitting that will be required for fuel supply to the front of the bike. This transaction will be between you and the manufacturers/suppliers of the product."
I totally understand! But wonder if you could give some (rough) idea as to what additional parts we'll need, their aprox cost, best sources and if you don't mind, a brief overview of what is involved. If you're not comfortable with doing this, perhaps others can provide a source for this info. Not asking you to go further than you've stated, but aproximates with a general idea of needed parts and what is involved to pipe this aux fuel to the main tank would be appreciated. (Perhaps there are some write-ups here on the forum that I missed?)

I'm assuming that this will work with non-oem front seat sections (ie: front Corbin). I currently use Corbin Canyon which works well for me ...but obvioulsy will go away with your groovy mounting stuff. So, I'll be swapping my Canyon out for a front modular Corbin or perhaps having Rick Mayer re-do my OEM for when I have the tank on.

What is your APROX guess to the time/effort involved to swap this out to OEM configuration? (like when you need to go 2-up) ..and vice versa? Can it be done relatively easy and say in 20minutes or less guestimated ..or is it a more involved job?

Sorry for the D U M (dumb) questions, .....and thanks much

...renojohn
The only items that need to purchased seperatly are the bulk head fitting and the aux cell, I will supply everything else needed to complete the installation. The bulkhead fitting for the main tank is gonna run around $20 (inc. shipping) and the fuel cell prices are on the first page of the thread. They will vary based on total sales.

The fuel line from the main tank to the cell remains on the bike at all times and is separated from the cell under the passenger seat via a marine grade quick disconnect fitting.

The cell is very easy to attach and remove. On 03-05 for instance, I have designed it in such a way that the main piece that bolts to the rear subframe remains on the bike at all times, whether or not the cell is being used or the passenger seat and does not take up any storage space. So all that's involved will be removing the main base that's shown in the jpeg photos on page 1, which will require the use of an allen wrench. Less than 5 minutes with your eyes closed is my best guess. ;)

Bulk head fittings are available from Sampson Sport Touring and BLM accessories. I'm not sure how they may both feel about supplying this part for a similar product that they produce, but if for some reason they don't want to handle this, then I'll supply you part numbers so you can purchase the bulkhead fitting yourself from a reputable supplier.

Bulk head fitting installation is well documented here: www.fjr1300.info/howto/bulkhead fitting

I can't comment on how every front aftermaket seat is when finished, but my guess is that if it works like the OEM front, then I see no reason why it wouldn't fit.

The only items that need to purchased seperatly are the bulk head fitting and the aux cell, I will supply everything else needed to complete the installation.
The fuel line from the main tank to the cell remains on the bike at all times and is separated from the cell under the passenger seat via a marine grade quick disconnect fitting.

The cell is very easy to attach and remove.

Bulk head fitting installation is well documented here: www.fjr1300.info/howto/bulkhead fitting
Damn, why was I making this so complicated? OK, didn't realize you were supplying more than just the mounting hardware ...you're supplying all other stuff needed: fuel line, quick disconnect, etc. anyway, I get the idea now. I haven't seen mention of valve or filter ...and assume that both would/should be used.
Also, great write up on installing the bulk head fitting thanks for pointing me there. ....that is going to be easier than I had anticipated (thanks in large part to the great write up!)

Thanks much ....this looks like a great solution for me ....I need to get my (front) modular seat built ... ......looks like I'm "In" on this.

Cheers from reno ....john

Damn, why was I making this so complicated? OK, didn't realize you were supplying more than just the mounting hardware ...you're supplying all other stuff needed: fuel line, quick disconnect, etc. anyway, I get the idea now. I haven't seen mention of valve or filter ...and assume that both would/should be used.
Also, great write up on installing the bulk head fitting thanks for pointing me there. ....that is going to be easier than I had anticipated (thanks in large part to the great write up!)
Sorry about not being more specific on the first page. When I think and work on something for so long, I guess I forget that everyone else is looking at it for the first time. Will keep this in mind in the furure.

Update for the Canadian riders.

Shipping including insurance will be $35. Updating the first post as well.

The sun finally popped its head out of the clouds enough for me to take a couple pictures outside.

Here's how the Givi looks.

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

And then a full view shot of my bike finally all farkled up ready for some serious ground pounding 150 mile CBA days. :lol:

IMG_2012.jpg

Just to let you guys know that there are 12 peeps who have commited so far.

I got to see the complete install on Saturday. The bracketry is a work of art (Not you Mr. Montoya) as usual. Skyway thinks about every little detail and includes it in his plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.