Sliders - Confused over torque sequence

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Rich

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, I did search via google but I'm still confused!

I'm installing the OES Delrin sliders. The instructions say to install the right side and torque, then install the left side and torque. From their pictures, it may be backwards, but...

From this forum and the '08 FSM, I should torque the left side first then the right side (both at 35 lbs/ft). I got that. What is not clear, and I don't understand, is do I

- Remove left side bolt and install the slider snug

- Remove the right side bolt and install the slider snug

- THEN, torque the left side

- then, torque the right side?

OR, install the left slider and torque; install right slider and torque.

The FSM, in the "Engine Installation" section says "Do not fully tighten the bolts" as later there is a tightening sequence. However, that is for all the bolts during installation.

Sorry if I'm making too much out of this, but when I read about the effect on alignment, I want to follow the correct procedure.

Thanks,

Rich

When I installed sliders on my 06, I loosened both bolts - then removed the left, installed and re-torqued; then removed the right, etc.

Now at 45K, and the engine hasn't fallen out. Yet.

YMMV.

I don't think it will make any difference if you do the complete job on the left and then move to the right side, or if you do both sides snug and then tighten them, left side first. The reason for the left side first is that the right side has a sleeve in the frame that takes up the slack so you want the left side stable before you tighten the right.

Easy to do.

Remove left side bolt, install the slider and torque to 35lbs

Remove the right side bolt, install the slider and and torque to 35lbs

Hello,
Yes, I did search via google but I'm still confused!

I'm installing the OES Delrin sliders. The instructions say to install the right side and torque, then install the left side and torque. From their pictures, it may be backwards, but...

From this forum and the '08 FSM, I should torque the left side first then the right side (both at 35 lbs/ft). I got that. What is not clear, and I don't understand, is do I

- Remove left side bolt and install the slider snug

- Remove the right side bolt and install the slider snug

- THEN, torque the left side

- then, torque the right side?

OR, install the left slider and torque; install right slider and torque.

The FSM, in the "Engine Installation" section says "Do not fully tighten the bolts" as later there is a tightening sequence. However, that is for all the bolts during installation.

Sorry if I'm making too much out of this, but when I read about the effect on alignment, I want to follow the correct procedure.

Thanks,

Rich
Installed T rex sliders, right side first at 35, and then the left at 35. Unless there is a study that shows any difference, go with it. By study I mean 1000 installs a five year follow up on the effects, etc.