Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too cold and wet to smoke yesterday, so did a Instantpot pot roast instead.

potroast01.jpg

I guess I’m OK with having separate appliances for grilling (hot searing) and BBQ (lower temp indirect cooking). I am lucky enough to have a spousal unit that doesn’t get upset if I clutter up the back yard with cooking equipment.

Still debating about smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving. The turkey "roasts" I did before were good, but the smoke flavor kind of masked the taste of the turkey itself. My son thought it tasted more like ham than turkey. I guess I could just use less wood.

I'd like to just do a turkey breast, (or two) as the gathering will be small this year, but I like leftovers. ;)

On an unrelated topic, here's the finished black walnut coffee table we made:

IMG-1949.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still debating about smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving. The turkey "roasts" I did before were good, but the smoke flavor kind of masked the taste of the turkey itself. My son thought it tasted more like ham than turkey. I guess I could just use less wood.I'd like to just do a turkey breast, (or two) as the gathering will be small this year, but I like leftovers.
wink.png

On an unrelated topic, here's the finished black walnut coffee table we made:

IMG-1949.jpg
Now if it had a knot in the right place it would look like a Lab dog.
Nice, like the colors, Dave

Cooked up a small Beef Rump Roast yesterday that I picked up earlier in the day at Wally World. Took about 3 1/2 hours on the smoker to reach my target internal temp of 132F. It coasts in to 135F for a perfect medium rare during the rest. Came out pretty nice for a cheap piece of beef.

Not too many days warm enough for smoking left this year before Ill have to store away the pit again.

I guess I’m OK with having separate appliances for grilling (hot searing) and BBQ (lower temp indirect cooking). I am lucky enough to have a spousal unit that doesn’t get upset if I clutter up the back yard with cooking equipment.
At one time I had five different appliances. Down to three now.

Your appliances probably have a different purpose from Normal people.
bleh.gif
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/****.gif

I managed to smoke some back ribs Sunday in the rain, while the Steelers motivated the Browns ownership to fire the coach and offensive coordinator. The ribs, and game were good from my point of view.

Same here.

I bought one of these RecTec RT700 grills. I like that it has wifi built in, it holds temp +/- 3 degrees on the first baby backs I did. They call it ultra smoke to run it at 180 degree. The smoke ring was all the way through after three hours of smoking, 2 hours at 225 degree foiled and water added, then 2 hour on the grill unfoiled, saucing the last hour. They came our great - much better than my Treager. It also has the ability to use two temperature probes and track/graph the temps with their app.

CON: it is not cheap.

PRO: can cook really low (cold smoke with optional unit add on), and cook at over 550 degrees. HOLDS temp really well. Better made than the Treagers are. The really big plus: I don't have to tinker and constantly monitor it while cooking. I can be busy with other things and have really good (and I predict repeatable) results with this grill.

I'll get pictures of my next cook.

Your appliances probably have a different purpose from Normal people.
bleh.gif
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/****.gif
Somebody remind me to send this guy a smoked cok.

A Kamodo Joe showed up on our back porch last week. After eating two whole chickens cooked inside the thing, my wife has decided I am a genius. (And she cooked the chickens!)

A little cheaper than a Big Green Egg, because the store was moving and wanted to move a bunch of inventory. Website, and that's a photo of us lounging on the back porch with friends.

Good you could get a locally made grille too. I didn’t realize they were made in GA until I followed your link.

Also, all of your friends are very attractive.

Still looks pretty green there Fred...

View off our deck:

IMG-3697.jpg

This is actually the first year in a while where we have had more traditional fall weather, highs in the upper 50's lower sixties. Leaf color this year has also been spectacular. Last year it seemed to go from summer weather right into winter. :(

Hopefully the weather will be tolerable on turkey day. Decided I'm going to do two breasts....bake one and smoke one. :)

On another note. Heated up another slab of ribs from the freezer for dinner. (No photos, but you've seen what they look like) superbly delicious. Three? racks left. Guessing a Christmas rib cook coming;)

Same here.

I bought one of these RecTec RT700 grills. I like that it has wifi built in, it holds temp +/- 3 degrees on the first baby backs I did. They call it ultra smoke to run it at 180 degree. The smoke ring was all the way through after three hours of smoking, 2 hours at 225 degree foiled and water added, then 2 hour on the grill unfoiled, saucing the last hour. They came our great - much better than my Treager. It also has the ability to use two temperature probes and track/graph the temps with their app.

CON: it is not cheap.

PRO: can cook really low (cold smoke with optional unit add on), and cook at over 550 degrees. HOLDS temp really well. Better made than the Treagers are. The really big plus: I don't have to tinker and constantly monitor it while cooking. I can be busy with other things and have really good (and I predict repeatable) results with this grill.

I'll get pictures of my next cook.
Got the RecTec 680 and the Bullseye. Neither one has let me down and their customer service is above all else!!