Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took it off after 12 hours, let stand 30 minutes.

Internal temp in several places was 156f. Once I started pulling it off the bone I found some done and done not done. Chopped it up and micrivaved it for 6 minutes. The crowd loved it! Great flvor. Kinda upset that 12 hours didn't cook a 9.5# roast at 200F.

The old cooker is on her last legs. Cast iron Burnershave about rusted away. Steel support structure underneath is the latest high teck honeycombed rust.

Took it off after 12 hours, let stand 30 minutes.
Internal temp in several places was 156f. Once I started pulling it off the bone I found some done and done not done. Chopped it up and micrivaved it for 6 minutes. The crowd loved it! Great flvor. Kinda upset that 12 hours didn't cook a 9.5# roast at 200F.

The old cooker is on her last legs. Cast iron Burnershave about rusted away. Steel support structure underneath is the latest high teck honeycombed rust.
Isn't 167-170F the desired internal temp? At 200F you will struggle to get there. You might try raising the cooking temp to 230F next time.

Glad it tasted good though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can plateau too. Where cooking off some of the water in the meat cools it against the smoke. I've stalled for up to 6 hours before on larger shoulders. The first time I freaked and upped the temp; drying out the cut. Now I either crutch it or make the extra time by starting earlier. I try to hold 225F.

Got (2) 8lb. pork shoulders started at 5:45 this morning...

and after 12 hours...

A little treat for the attendees of FODS.

...actually had a tough time getting them off of the smoker in one piece...they where literally falling apart and very tender.

There's a nice 12 hour cook...... Those super long cooks are one of the reasons I went with a pellet grill.....
Unfortunately I work every weekend, and only have a 1/2 day off on monday and then tuesday off, so I can't just hang around all the time, sitting in a chair watching temps and sippin beers...

Super Happy with that Yoder I picked up, not a cheap date but will last me a lifetime...

Just need to keep the hopper full and check the meat from time to time

13 hours in and at 190 degrees. Almost ready to come off the smoker.

20150613_100135.jpg

After analyzing yesterday I think two things happened.

One, I should have used a little higher temp, 225 vs 190-200.

Two, I've never run into the plateau before.

I think the plateau was exacerbated because I didn't trim the skin and fat cap off of the shoulder.

Will try again next weekend with a similar piece of meat.

After analyzing yesterday I think two things happened. One, I should have used a little higher temp, 225 vs 190-200. Two, I've never run into the plateau before. I think the plateau was exacerbated because I didn't trim the skin and fat cap off of the shoulder. Will try again next weekend with a similar piece of meat.
John I think the higher temp is the biggest part of it.

It will render the fat faster, and the smoke from that will help flavor the meat too (if you are cooking so the fat can drip onto the coals), it's a double bonus. It could also cut the cooking time by two to three hours, and there would be less "drying" effect.

"Fat up or fat down" is a whole other discussion
biggrin.png

Change one thing at a time, then you know which change makes the difference

John,

From what I have read, all big hunks of meat will plateau at around 150-160 F and stall there. It is supposedly due to the evaporating liquid cooling the meat and preventing it from accumulating more heat, If you don't mind a crusty exterior and have the time you can just wait it out. After a while it will start to climb in temp again.

The alternative is to use the "Texas Crutch" method of wrapping the meat tightly in foil to stop the evaporation. This will allow the meat to increase in temperature, dissolve most of the connective tissue and render out the fat, but retain more moisture in the meat that is not evaporating. It does, however, mess up the nice outer bark that youve developed by making it soft and soggy. To restore that you can remove the foil for the last bit to dry the bark back out.

The big thing that you missed was that you really want to bring the internal meat temp up to ~200 degrees F,. (Talking Brisket or Pork Shoulder here) . The meat doesn't really become tender until you get the temp that high. This is where the crutch method helps greatly.

A lot of very good smoker cooks will smoke the meat 'till you reach about 145 - 150F, then wrap it in foil and chuck it in your kitchen oven until you reach your temperature goal. Once the outside of the meat is cooked you aren't getting much more of the smoke in the meat.

I went to the super-market this afternoon (instead of the butcher shop) to see if I could find something more affordable than what "Mr Steer" charges, I got a nice 8 1/2 pound picnic shoulder (lower half of the pork shoulder) for a tad over $1 a lb, that I'm going to cook up tomorrow starting early AM. They did not have any Boston Butts (upper half of the shoulder) except for boneless ones, that I did not want. I'll be pulling it. Wish me luck!

PS - On my shopping journey this afternoon I also picked up a bundle of dominicans and a 12'er of Harpoon IPA , so I should be all set for a long day of smoking.
wink.png

Done on my grill...smoked (indirect heat) ..then grilled (direct heat) bacon wrapped chicken thighs:

Recipe for those interested:

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs:

Adjust for quantity-

First, soak several round tooth picks in saltwater for at least 20 minutes.

Cut the cap and base off a red (bell) pepper and slice longways into 1/4-3/8 strips. Toss in a bowl with a tbsp olive oil, few shakes of salt, and one whole minced garlic, set aside.

Open up several boneless/skinless chicken thighs, trim off the larger bits of fat and small dangling pieces with sharp scissors. Place into a large bag and cover with bread crumbs...shaking bag till entirely coated.

Carefully remove one at a time and place two pepper strips "inside" the thigh and roll up tightly. Take a full strip of thick cut bacon and wrap the thigh (in the same direction) and secure the end with two of the round tooth picks. Making sure it goes all the way through both sides.

Sauce: mix 3 parts of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce (pick your flavor) with 1 part Jim Beam Honey Bourbon and a shot of agave nectar.

Baste with sauce while cooking. Bread crumb coating seems to help in holding in moisture and keeping bacon from sliding around. Keep the heat low, you want to carmelize the sugar in the sauce but not over cook the chicken. You can substitute hotter peppers if you want, and use strings of onion along with the pepper too...

Oh damn... now I'm going to have to try making some of those. Might want to do them with the sauce on the side so some can use the sweeter sauce and others can go with some a bit spicier.

How long were they on the smoker before you put them on the direct heat? Not all that long I'd imagine, just enough to get some smoke flavor, right? Maybe an hour or so?

Yes, about an hour. Then grilled on low heat (wood box still working) until they looked like the photo. Peppers seem to add moisture to the chicken and the bacon wrap helps hold it in. Even after about 2 hours inside the grill the meat is very juicy.

I'm not that big of a fan off pulled pork/briskets, but love smoked ribs, chicken, salmon, and loins. Ideally I'd like to be able to smoke a dozen ribs at a time... :)

Yes....I meant a dozen slabs....as I can eat more than a dozen ribs just by myself.

But thanks for reminding me, I'll need to get them to weld me up a rib rack to hold them all....

With the above I can get a dozen on the table at about the same time.

2 hours in the smoke.

1 hour crutched in the oven while the next batch is in the smoke.

.5 hour in the oven unwrapped to firm up the bark

while the last batch is finishing in the oven, do the quick-to-cook sides, some pork loin, etc.

It seems like one way to get the most meat into a smoker is to stack the racks vertically, like the chest style smokers do. I plan on adding a second (and maybe a third) tier into my drum smoker for that. With the drums it is as easy as drilling some holes, sticking through some more bolts and nuts to support the grills, and buying more 22" round weber type grids.

By the way, plans changed this past weekend and I didn't get to do my Pork shoulder. It will have to be a mid-week thing sometime this week.

Done on my grill...smoked (indirect heat) ..then grilled (direct heat) bacon wrapped chicken thighs:

Recipe for those interested:

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs:

Adjust for quantity-

First, soak several round tooth picks in saltwater for at least 20 minutes.

Cut the cap and base off a red (bell) pepper and slice longways into 1/4-3/8 strips. Toss in a bowl with a tbsp olive oil, few shakes of salt, and one whole minced garlic, set aside.

Open up several boneless/skinless chicken thighs, trim off the larger bits of fat and small dangling pieces with sharp scissors. Place into a large bag and cover with bread crumbs...shaking bag till entirely coated.

Carefully remove one at a time and place two pepper strips "inside" the thigh and roll up tightly. Take a full strip of thick cut bacon and wrap the thigh (in the same direction) and secure the end with two of the round tooth picks. Making sure it goes all the way through both sides.

Sauce: mix 3 parts of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce (pick your flavor) with 1 part Jim Beam Honey Bourbon and a shot of agave nectar.

Baste with sauce while cooking. Bread crumb coating seems to help in holding in moisture and keeping bacon from sliding around. Keep the heat low, you want to carmelize the sugar in the sauce but not over cook the chicken. You can substitute hotter peppers if you want, and use strings of onion along with the pepper too...
I'm trying ^^^ for about 6 guests this Friday. With bacon, I don't think it can go wrong, but I'm a hoping it turns out and looks just like yours!

Thanks for the recipe and visual!
smile.png

(ps; the sauce alone sold me, especially when I mentally combined it with the bacon wrapped Chix) yummmmmm!