Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well decided to fire up the reverse offset today just to smoke a little pork tenderloin. Using Royal Oak

"Natural" briquettes, their lump and some hefty chunks of applewood. Photos to follow.

On another note, put all new burners in the grill. 2nd burner control valve suddenly moving now, but getting yellow flame up by where the orfice enters the burner. Must have an air leak or a crack in the valve itself. Will look at it after we come back from our vacation. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after 2-1/2 hours at 225F and plenty of applewood, tenderloin hit 143F and was pulled,wrapped in foil and placed into the faux cambrio for 20 minutes.

Before shot (chunky bits are bacon) I shaked some pork rub on it before putting it the smoker.

IMG-3904.jpg

Out of the smoker

IMG-3907.jpg

Carved up. Very subtle smoke ring, about 3/8" around the edge.

IMG-3908.jpg

Served up with a bit of Baby Rays on the side, and the wife's homemade red potato and egg potato salad:

IMG-3909.jpg

Pork was crazy tender, side of your fork cut it easily. Apple smoke flavor very evident but not overpowering.

The three of us all but finished it off, about four 1/4" slices left for lunch tomorrow;)

Definitely one of the better tenderloins I've done :)

Mmmm, that looks good.

Daughter, son-in-law, and grand baby are home from Michigan for a few days visit. Was going to smoke some baby backs today but may want to cook a few tenderloins instead. They do always come out so good, and are so darned easy.

I don't smoke ribs for guests anymore (unless they really really beg) When we do ribs we eat one slab and freeze the other 5. So if need be there's some in the freezer for a desperate guest. However we like having our stash in the freezer and have become pretty protective of it. So with the baby backs it's pretty much..

"THEY'RE MINE! THEY ARE ALL MINE! BRAHAHAHAHA!"

Went to the market yesterday AM and ended up scoring 4 big racks of St Louis cut ribs on sale. Cooked them in the offset using hickory wood and a little bit of maple towards the end. It was a warm day for a change so the pit was easier to control than it has been when its cooler out.

Should have taken a picture of the OK Joe with the four racks on there as it was completely full. Flipped and rotated the ribs throughout the 6 hour smoking time and they came out pretty evenly done. Didnt bother wrapping them, just went for the full 6 hours, which is enough to turn baby backs to mush, but the St Louis cuts came out just right. Tender but with just a little chew. Plenty for everyone to eat (8 people) with a good amount left over.

Sorry, no photos. Guess it didnt really happen...

We just got back from a week in the Southwest (Sedona AZ) Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert...the usual touristy spots. Had some great food. One favorite was Chorizo and avocado soft tacos. :)

Inspired me to come up with a SW dish of my own. Have not made them yet, but will next time I fire up the smoker. (Having torrential rain here)

Basically my take on jalapeño poppers. Bacon wrapped Chorizo stuffed peppers.

Simple recipe:

Take some nice sized jalapeños and cut a slit down one side, from

the cap to the tip. Carefully pull out the seeds and guts. Fill with precooked Chorizo. Close and wrap from the tip back with a slice of bacon.(you can use a toothpick through the top of the cap to hold it on.)

Smoke (or grill) until bacon is cooked. Leave the stem on if grilling to facilitate turning. Serve with a dip of your choice or just eat them as is.

Will post photos when this happens. ;)

Didn't do the smoker but my daughter had surgery so my wife is staying with them to take care of the kids while hubby works and daughter recovers. Bach'ing it for the past 2 weeks. Mase a double-batch of beef stroganoff. That was last week's meals with a few things to keep within the diet and for change-ups). Yesterday was a double batch of pinto beans and ham. Both done in the Instant Pot. I think I finally found the fine tuning tweaks of my daughter's recipe by using half the brown sugar and swapping her recommended 2 gutted-and-dices jalapeno peppers for 2.5 diced (guts-and-all) Serrano peppers. Jalapenos are too unreliable, heat-wise. More often than not, I get results that have no heat. Serranos are hotter than jalapenos but consistently so. That means adjusting quantity in exchange for repeatability.

I’ve got a hankering for some baby backs. Been so busy, and the weather has been so shitty, the smokers haven’t had much action lately. I see some light at the end of that tunnel though. Looking forward to some good home made que!

Doing baby back ribs on the smoker today.
One of the best racks I've put out in a while. I normally only eat about 1/4 rack. Today I put away 1/2 of the rack.
Best part is that the Mrs is away, so I get to have the other 1/2 tomorrow for lunch!
We finished off a rack of baby backs from the freezer yesterday, have two left (sorry Fred)

"Jalapenos are too unreliable, heat-wise. More often than not, I get results that have no heat. Serranos are hotter than jalapenos but consistently so."

I've noticed this too. Had some that were quite hot and others that seemed to lack any heat at all. My digestive system doesn't like jalapeños for some reason however, but no problems with other peppers...so I usually use

Serranos for chili or whatever.. However.....While in New Mexico, I picked up about a half pound of Chimayo pepper powder at the Sante Fe farmers market. It's plentiful there but not a available around here. It has about the same Scoville heat rating as jalapeño.

And most importantly doesn't eat my guts up.

I'm going to use some of it to make my own Chorizo for those stuffed peppers (I'll use Serranos for myself)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimayo_pepper

And I'll be using the Chimayo in my pork rub instead of chili powder;)

Oh, obligatory tourist photo when in Arizona:

IMG-3975.jpg

Yes, I'd rather sit than stand.

Here in ol’ sunny California I’ve had a 5lb brisket on the smoker since 0730 this morning. I rubbed it up with Montreal steak rub Saturday morning, which is awesome on brisket

It’s starting to smell good already.......

Long about 5:00 it will be time to fire up a Beefeaters & Tonic

Biknflyfisher

1600 update, I had a meat temp of 185 so I triple wrapped the brisket in foil and put it back in the smoker. I’ll probably let it stay there until 5 then pull it off, put it in an ice chest covered with towels and let it rest (as it’s no doubt very tired....).

The goodness is getting closer......

Need some fud pR0n photos of that brisket before its consumed!

Now Ive got a hankering for Brisket and baby backs. You guys are killin me here. Cant eat any meat today or tomorrow in preparation for my 5 year lower GI inspection.

PS- Knifemaker, that must be THE corner to stand on. Never been to Winslow, AZ. Yet.

PS- Knifemaker, that must be THE corner to stand on. Never been to Winslow, AZ. Yet.
Not much else to see there. I think the song came out in 1972. Was a happening place for about 7 years until the new interstate basically bypassed Winslow altogether (old Route 66 went right through town) After that people still would stop by, so to drum up

some needed revenue they put in the statue and sign, (along with a flat bed Ford, not seen in the photo)

There was some debate if in fact the song was accurate, (written by Jackson Brown, popularized by the Eagles) Brown maintains it was in fact Winslow, not Winston as some believed. His Toyota truck broke down there, so while waiting for repairs he wrote the song about being stuck there.

Good luck on the "inspection". I'd like to see that brisket too ;)

Well, it's been crazy hot here. Very Humid and upper 90's, so the thought of cooking outside hasn't been well received.

However, my sudden desire for pulled pork has convinced me to brave the heat tomorrow and smoke about 18 pounds of pork butt up in the UDS. Was just going to do one, but decided to do two (more surface area = more bark) Got a good deal on a cryo bag pair of fairly even sized butts for $1.99 a pound.

Dry brine overnight and hope to get them going early in the morning. More photos to come..

IMG-4032.jpg

Both looked pretty good when I salted them. One did need some fat trimmed away. I like about 1/8-1/4" of fat one the "fat side". I start off with fat side up and then flip halfway.
default_wink.png

Altered my rub by substitution of some of that Chimayo chili powder in place of pepper and, regular store bought chili powder. (Which is usually a mix of chili peppers, oregano, cumin and other "spices")

Nice lookin hunks of pork. Looking forward to seeing the final results.

One plus for cooking when its so hot is you save on fuel! Seriously, sometimes my pit gets carried away when its hot out and the sun shines on the black surface of the UDS. And thats even with the DigiQ stoker attached!

Ive been delinquent in both cooking and reporting what little I have cooked. We did a pork shoulder on the 4th up at my sons. He underestimated the time required, as it was his first foray into smoking a pork butt, so we experimented with a new procedure. We took his pork butt and roughly quartered it before rubbing and putting on the UDS. The idea was twofold: That it would speed up the cooking time due to the smaller mass of each piece, and secondly that we would get more delicious bark.

Im happy to report it was a success on both counts, with no apparent negative effect on the tenderness or dryness of the pulled meat. Im surely going to try it again to confirm, but we cut the cooking time down from my typical 12-16 hours to just 9 hours to done.

Sorry, not my cook, so I didnt take any photo evidence. Maybe next time? Still need to get some brisket done here.

Yep, read about cutting the butt up just for those reasons. Was actually my original idea for today's cook was to do two SMALL butts. However, I couldn't pass up the deal I got. Thought about cutting them up too, but decided it be easier to monitor the temperature leaving them both whole.

Rubbed and waiting:

IMG-4035.jpg

As for added heat from a hot day, noticed my stainless steel grill get up to 150 in the sun, my offset sits mostly in the shade, but it does heat up some. Kinda why I chose to paint my UDS silver...

IMG-4036.jpg

One difference this time. I put another cooking grate right below the one the butts are on, and put 5 three hole bricks on it. Not so much as a defuser, but to help catch some of the fat that drips out. Last cook I noticed my coals seemed to be dwindling out near the end. When I removed the charcoal basket I discovered that there were a lot of unburned coals that seemed to get "wet" by dripping fat and didn't burn.

Odd as you'd think the fat would help ignition. Anyway, will see if the bricks help.
default_wink.png

I did a single large pork shoulder yesterday. It's pretty easy to set the smoker and let it do its job on a hot day. Had pulled pork sandwiches last night and have guests coming today for more. Our AC is out and the record heat and humidity makes cooking indoors much worse than smoking. The AC unit was replaced 5-years ago under a homebuyer's warrant. The Lennox system has not proven reliable. The condenser coils went out a year ago and were replaced, and the compressor is this year. That is the problem with home warranties, they use the cheapest material and lowest bidder. The labor and refrigerent costs for these warranty replacements could have paid for a better unit.