Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 breasts to smoke for xmas. For T-day my job is to make 4 loaves of different kinds of bread. 1 honey white (kids, ammirite?), 1 honey wheat, 1 maple wheat, and 1 onion rye.

Well, had planned to smoke two turkey breasts today. But my granddaughter got a thanksgiving care package from her school..which contains everything one might want for a thanksgiving dinner....several boxes of stuffing, fixings and canned green beans for that green bean casserole, Mac and cheese, potatoes, corn, cranberry sauce....and a whole 15.6 pound Butterball turkey. 

Thought about doing it on the smoker, but with expected rain, and feeling I should spend time inside helping the wife with the the other thanksgiving foods (who just had eye surgery on Tuesday) I’m just going to cook it in our oven,  .  I use one of those “oven bags” and get fairly good results.

Most of the canned stuff and boxed foods will be going to a local shelter, but we’re keeping the turkey 😉

We are going to my daughters in NH. I plan on smoking the turkey Friday or Saturday depending on the weather.

Happy thanksgiving to all.

Dave 

Fired up the smoker at 6:30 this morning, put the 16lb turkey in at 7:30.   Be smokin until noon, then finish it off in the oven for an hour.   This being our first attempt at smoking a large bird, not taking any chances with the inside temp.     Dry brined the bird overnight, then rubbed with herbed butter before going into the smoker.   I'll report back with the results.

I was going to try a bone-in breast on the smoker as it’s just my wife and I today (the big family feast is on Sat), but we got an invite to the BIL’s house. So, we’ll try a turkey another time.

First Smoked turkey evaluation: delicious success.  Moist and pleasing smoky taste.  4 hours in the smoker and 90 minutes in a conventional oven to get internal temp up to 155 deg. 

Had a leg for lunch today.  Very good.   I'm guessing we'll do it again next year,

We had Thanksgiving feast up at our son's place in VT, so our cheap frozen turkey went right into the chest freezer.  We will break it out to have it in a few weeks when the turkey-day buzz has worn off.  Son got a fresh, 22 lb bird from a local farm.  They cooked it inside in the oven.  Their secret is slathering the outside with mayo and herbs.  Comes out perfect brown color without tenting.  Came out excellent and they will have turkey leftovers for weeks, which was the point of it being so huge. With just 5 of us eating, or should I say gorging, we still ate less than 1/3 of that beast. 

Big snow headed our way this week.  Wheeled the snowblower into the garage and the offset smoker into its place in the shed for a few months.  <sniff, sniff>  My ugly drum is up in our garage in VT, so I can always wheel that out into the driveway on a sunny day if I need a 'Que fix.  I can put the DigiQ stoker on it and do remote temp monitoring from the indoor warmth.  ;)   

But I'll be ready to go on the offset in the spring.  Went to one of the local apple orchards and bought a pickup truck load of partially dried apple tree wood for $70.  That should hold me through a lot of good cooking in 2020.  Really can't go wrong with apple wood.  I do like hickory for ribs, but the apple will work just fine.

Dave,   do you cut up your own apple wood or buy it, ready to go.  I'm asking because I have an apple tree to cut down and am wondering if I just need to dry it like regular firewood, and for how long.  Thinking about next season...

Dave,   do you cut up your own apple wood or buy it, ready to go.  I'm asking because I have an apple tree to cut down and am wondering if I just need to dry it like regular firewood, and for how long.  Thinking about next season...
Yes. Dry wood for any type or you get creosote.

I heavily pruned my 3 apple trees that had not been done in the last 15 years. I originall cut most branches in 4 foot lengths. Later on I cut them up in 6 to 7 inch long pieces. I filled 4 apple crates and a 4 foot high x 6 foot long wooden cubby hole shelf. I have a picture around somewhere.

Dave 

I’ve been using pruned pieces of my wife’s beloved crapapple tree in our front yard for a few years.  Just cut, split and dry it really well.  Worked great.  Maybe some day I’ll get to cut that whole tree down.  It’s way over grown and a big PITA when the birds drop the fruit all over my truck in the fall, but it flowers every Mother’s Day.  

A while back I talked about perhaps getting an outdoor griddle. Most here believed I really didn’t need one, and the fact that the four burner one I was interested in cost about $200. 

Did look into getting a griddle that you just put on top of your grill, but never found one that would fit.

Well, neighbor here was having a moving sale and I scored this hardly used two burner griddle, along with a full propane tank for $25.00.

A bit of surface rust that cleaned up quickly, came with tools too:

F00-E3-EDC-94-A0-4-E45-9-C04-5364-BC0314-D1.jpg

There is a following for those gas fired flat tops.  I’m not sure that I understand how they are any better than a cast iron pan on a gas stove, but I guess you can cook a lot of stuff at once due to the real estate.  Personally, I prefer a grille that lets the grease drip through, burn, and add to the flavor, but lots of people think there is nothing better than a “smash burger”.  At that price it would sure be fun to experiment.  And you can always just use it to cook a bunch of pancakes on Sunday 

Well cooked up some burgers, onions, and sweet potato coins last night. Oddly the burgers tasted exactly like burgers I’ve had at diners. Guessing because they use griddles too, and hamburger with a higher fat content than what I usually use at home. I specifically used fattier meat this time. Onions were great as were the taters. 

The griddles controls do not have temperature markings, just a graph indicating “high” to “low”, so I used my inferred laser temperature gun to set the heat where I wanted it. A few more cooks and I’ll likely not need it.

Only criticism of the unit is that it’s not “wind proof” It was fairly gusty out and twice one of the burners blew out. After covering the wind side with a metal pan all was well.

Yes, definitely a good bit of real estate to cook on. ;) This is the 28” model. They make a 36” Four burner one too. You could easily cook up 2 pounds of bacon on this one.  When the weather gets nicer I’ll for sure do pancakes and eggs. 

Really wanted this more for steaks and veggies. Which I’ll be trying out next. Using a iron pan on the grill does turn out a good steak, but if you want to cook 3-4 at a time it’s problematic unless you have a real large pan. 

So now I have two smokers, two charcoal grills, a gas grill, and the griddle. Should be able to cover whatever I feel like cooking ;)