Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okie Dokie. Came out good. Went with a bit higher cooking temperature for this...kept it between 250-260 degrees. Hit 145 after 2-1/2 hours. Used mostly applewood with a few chunks of hickory and mesquite tossed in throughout. Cooked fat side down, which you can see the smoke ring (about 1/2"+) was mostly on the top. The aus jus really picked up the chimayo pepper I used in the rub. Sat in the faux cambrio for 1-1/2 hours before slicing.  Had a simple salad for the side. Those little corner pieces (at the bottom) were exquisite. 

A lot of meat left...so lunches for the week and likely tomorrow's dinner. 

IMG-4143.jpg

Pork loins and tenderloins are so cheap, and come out so fabulous, it’s almost like cheating.  I guess that technically it’s not BBQ, but rather smoke roasting meat, but I like that kind of thing just as much as turning tough cuts of meat tender, which is what BBQ is about.  

This past week our local market had a rip pin’ good deal on Top Round Beef, $2 a lb.  so naturally I couldn’t resist and threw that puppy on the smoker.  Cooked at 235-255F for a couple hours.  Pulled when the roast hit 120F internal.  It was certainly better than it should have been for such short money.  Perfect medium rare, which is how we like it.  

sorry, no pics. Didn’t happen.

Not really sure what's "technically BBQ"... I'd say anything that's smoked as opposed to grilled is what I consider BBQ. You're not really rendering ribs, so it's not just about turning tough cuts tender. It's slow and low, and having that smoke infusion. 

But yep, pork can be found cheap. That 5 pounds of pork loin was like $1.80 a pound. Pork really can shine when smoked, no matter what cut it is. 

Overall pork is my go to meat to put in a smoker. If it's not really "BBQ" I don't really care ;)

On another note...I had not used my offset for quite a while. My most recent smoke before the pork loin, was the the two butts I did in my UDS.

So, was a bit surprised when I opened up the reverse and found a ring of white mold growing around the inner body just below the food grate supports. Now, I never really clean the chamber out after a cook. The food grates are removed and cleaned, and the baffle plate under the grate is always covered with foil, which is removed the day after a cook.

So just figuring that the hot weather along with the length of time since my last cook, and the presence of fat from cooking meats provided the conditions for the mold to grow.

I sprayed it down with a mix of bleach and water, then power washed the interior out. When all looked good and smelled fine, I dried out the chamber with blown air, and recoated the rustier  parts with a thin spray of canola oil.

Guess I just need to use the smoker more often..... 

Not really sure what's "technically BBQ"... I'd say anything that's smoked as opposed to grilled is what I consider BBQ. You're not really rendering ribs, so it's not just about turning tough cuts tender. It's slow and low, and having that smoke infusion.
Low and slow: Check

Smoke: Check

Charcoal instead of gas: Check?

Rubbin-Butts-BBQ-Nh.jpg

Rubbin Butts BBQ Center Harbor Nh.

Sullivan and I went for a ride last Saturday 10-12-19 and stopped here.(this is the back. very little parking)

I got a brisket sandwich that was awesome.

We where talking to the cook/grill master and he said he cooks the brisket for about 12 hours.  

I attribute the awesomeness to the freshly butchered meat. Didn't really cook them any different than I always do. Did use a bit of mesquite along with the applewood, but have done that before. 

So, have 5 slabs in the freezer again for future cravings :)

OK. Going for the above linked jalapeño recipe. The peppers I got from my neighbors garden are  kinda small , so the "eggs" will be pretty much bite sized. 

I cut up four of the smaller peppers, added some of my Sante Fe pepper powder, garlic and onion powder and some smoked paprika which will go into the cream cheese filling.

photos later....

OK. Did not come out as pretty as they looked on the link. Getting the pork to adhere to the peppers was problematic. The bacon did not stick well either. Family's reception was two thumbs down, although I did like the taste.

i did however grill them on low heat as opposed to trying to smoke them. Mostly to insure the bacon came out crispy.

Interesting recipe,  but a lot of work for a somewhat disappointing returm. 

IMG-4211.jpg

Alright. I am completely done with prepackaged baby back ribs. We heated up one rack from the freezer of the locally sourced ribs we got at the aforementioned butcher. Just. Fucking. Amazing. I’ve had $29 fillets tougher. It was not just “fall off the bone” but “melt in your mouth”  incredible. Not exactly impressive to see, but I offer the perfect rib:

D2802986-CE60-4332-894-C-1-E799-CEC91-D3.jpg
Just  amazing.  Again scarfed these down without adding any sauce. Much more tender and tasty then the ones right after smoking. 

Still have four racks in the freezer that I’m just raising my hand to God that they are there. ;)  

I have 3 frozen uncooked packaged ribs waiting for the smoke master to get his act together.

Weather permitting.

Dave

Anyone else gonna use their smoker for turkey day?

The bird has been thawing in the fridge since Saturday. Tonight, the bird is gonna go in a bag to brine overnight. I'll toss it on the smoker no later than 7:30 tomorrow morning.

Six or so hours later, she'll be good to go.

Yup - if my little electric qualifies as a smoker for this group that is.  This will be the third or fourth year for doing it this way and I don't think the family will ever let it go back to the other way.  Picked up the ordered bird today and will be bagging and brining first thing tomorrow.  (Son #1 working a 24 tomorrow so we postponed T-day until Friday.)