Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fantastic!

Great job on branching out and trying something new - I need to do more of that....

Biknflyfisher
Thanks. I do try to do different things. Many times “thinking outside the box” has produced something good. (Sometimes not, like Tuna Pizza) 

As a cook I’ve enjoyed adapting others basic ideas into my own concepts. I’ll see something on a cooking show and say, “I bet you could do it this way too” ;)

When I was in high school (back when dinosaurs walked the earth) there was a Greek restaurant we visited a lot that made traditional Greek gyros. Vertical rotisserie’s, and fresh baked pita.  Awesome. 

My only exposure to eating lamb was there, and my mom occasionally making lamb chops. 

I really think smoking the lamb (I used copious amounts of applewood on this) tamed a bit of the “gamey” taste some folks find with lamb meat. Definitely a interesting alternative to pulled pork. 

I did notice that the Mideast Market I scored the lamb meat also has goat meat. So may be trying something with that..... :)

Now that Spring has sprung, I need to work on getting my Okie Joe offset smoker put together and operational.

Got  it last Fathers Day and it’s still in the box.....

Dooh!

Lucky Bastids.  Spring is still a good ways off for us in the upper right corner of the US, and I’m sure our Canuck friends aren’t even on the backside of winter yet.  Looking forward to getting some applewood burning in my OK Joe when it does get here.

Love low and slow smoked lamb.  Most cost effective lamb around here are the shanks, which we tend to see a lot of near Easter.  They come out like a lamb version of beef ribs, but even meatier.  Only need to smoke them for about 4-5 hours, then wrap and braise them in foil with about a cup of liquid of your choice.  Have used beef stock, apple juice, and IPA beer.  Think I liked the beer best.

leg of lamb should be cooked to medium - medium rare, like a roast beef.  Just salt and pepper and garlic powder as a rub.  We prefer the bone in, but boned would be fine too.

I went to the Smokeshow BBQ resteraunt Monday in Concord NH. Does that count for anything? I had an excellent smoked meat sandwich. On a side note, the wifey

was waiting to be released for a full hip replacement surgery that was done on Sunday. Skiing at her age was a risk that she didn't need to take. It was a mother and daughter day that went south. I am sure this will affect how much riding on the bike will be tolerated this season. Sorry for the off topic. Nuff said on this thread please.

Dave

Well have about a pound and a half of the pulled lamb left,  which is going into the freezer until I do another pot of chili.

Hang in there Fred, won’t be too much longer. Saturday when I did the smoke it started out at 28 degrees in the morning, but was sunny and warmed up to around 55. Tomorrow there’s freezing rain and snow expected 🤨

The RecTec is pretty nice. Newer models have that "Extreme Smoke" button that gets more smoke going on low and slow cooks. Everything I've read has been good on them, and they have better features than the Trager. If you are looking for a "set and forget" smoker they are hard to beat. At around $1000 you get what you pay for here, they are really a bargain.You might find yourself using it for grilling too instead of your Weber...
default_wink.png
Bought my RT-700 a couple of months ago, after looking into add-ons to my Weber Smoky Mountain, in order to keep the temp consistent for long smokes, with out having to f=f around with it. Honestly, I wish I had done it sooner.

Haven’t been to Smokeshow, Dave, and we pass through Concord often on the way to VT.  Will have to stop for lunch some day, though I generally don’t eat lunches in an effort to keep the BMI low enough to let me enjoy some BBQ now and then!

Less than 2 minutes off the exit. Very easy to get to. I decided on the goodness sandwich. A combination of pulled pork,chicken and brisket. My brother recommended it to me since he was a weekly patron. I hope to get back there again.

edit: under better circumstances 😋

Who is going to be the first one to buy and try this:

MASTERBUILT GRAVITY SERIES CHARCOAL GRILL+SMOKER
Well, looks interesting. Took a bit of reading at the site to see exactly how it works. Price at their site was $499.00, which I guess isn’t bad given the digital controls and blower. Might be cheaper elsewhere.  

For me, I’ll just go ahead a buy a blower for my UDS instead. But, The advantage of grilling/searing steaks on it is definitely a plus. 

They say about 10 hours using lump, which would get you through the night if you’re doing a big ass pork shoulder. 

Sadly could not find a review online where someone actually cooked on it yet. The article below hints they will be coming out with a larger unit later.

Here’s a short write up by the BBQLab:

https://www.thebarbecuelab.com/masterbuilt-gravity-series/

I'm almost through my third Coronavirus pork butt.  Got a Traeger this Spring and it makes the smoking a little too easy.  How yinz getting along?  I went riding today and came home to BBQ some chicken.  The cows and pigs were happy.

Ok smokers and grillers.  Newb smoker here.  I don't hang out on this forum much any more, but most of you know me and you gents have always been a good source of info on a wide variety of things.  I've read some of this thread and will continue to do more reading here and elsewhere.  I've been grilling almost daily for close to a decade with gas, hit and miss before that on charcoal and propane.

Current grill is NG with no smoker provision.  (Nexgrill Deluxe 2-burner).  LINK  This grill because it met the normal needs for us and was convertible to NG so we run it off house gas.  No comments on getting something else please, this is the tool at hand. 😐   I wanted to try adding some smoke and indirect cooking, so picked up a small cast iron smoke tray.

I have some apple wood pellets on hand.

My first question is chips or pellets for this type of application?

Wet or dry?  (can you do wet pellets?)

Inject meat & dry rub or just dry rub??  (thinking of a mix of pineapple juice/apple juice/red wine vinegar)

I have a just under 4 lb half pork loin for my first victim.  (Not a tenderloin, a loin)

Current idea in progress is:

No brine, rinse and pat dry,

Cut slits into and tuck some garlic cloves in, cross cut fat cap,

Injecting to keep moist from the inside(?)

Light coat of coconut oil or EVOO for the rub to bind to,

Dry rub of brown sugar and GP spices, (we have a spice mix we like on hand),

Heat smoke tray on low until it starts to smoke,

Place loin on top rack of grill, fat cap up, on the non-heat side.

Keep heat in the 250-275 range for 2 hours or until internal meat temp is ~150,  (I have tested the grill and it will hold a constant 250-275, creeping a little up to 275 with one burner on low)  (probably lite spritz of injector mix on top after an hour)

Remove and foil wrap, let rest for 20-30 min prior to serving.

Comments, suggestions, answers to above questions appreciated.  And no, Bustanut, you're not invited. 🤨  The rest of you can swing by any time after this CV-19 crap is done with.  Some of you are close than others.  Jason... 😉

I might be helpful here as I before I got a dedicated smoker,  used my gas grill to smoke ribs for several years.

First off I assume when you say putting the meat on the top rack, you mean the “warming rack” that’s above the main cooking grate. The issue there is where the grill vents, most vent all way across the back, and some warming racks when the lids closed sit beside that. Thus slot of smoke will just hit the bottom of then meat then exit out the back.

To help here, you need to block off the vent in some fashion. I just used a long sheet of tinfoil that I stuffed into to vent space. Some smoke still escaped here, and some through the holes in the side. (Most gas grill lids are not sealed well, they don’t need to be)

The other issue is I found out that placing the wood box on the grate didn’t get it hot enough to burn the wood. Unless I turned the burner way up, which made the cook chamber too hot.       My grill, like yours has the burner, a tent shaped drip protector over that, and then the cooking grate on top.  I found that I needed to remove the grate, and the drip guard, and place the wood pan right over the burner. I used two ceramic briquettes to hold it up about an inch above the burner.

I used wet wood chips. I soaked them for two hours in a small bucket. I found I needed to add more wood after a while in the cook, so make sure you can do this easily and quickly. 

You might be better off putting the loin on the main grate instead of the warming rack, but you’ll have to see which is better in your grill.

I assume you have a decent temperature probe for the meat. I also suggest you pull the loin at 143-145 to wrap in foil. It will rise some after pulling and loins something you don’t want to over cook.

Can’t say much about rubs or injecting the meat, as that’s kind of a personal thing.  I’d not actually cut into the meat to add the garlic, but would add it to the rub or your injection.

Hope this helps.

My solution for smoking on my gas grill is to just drop about a 2 inch dia. Log across the flavor grates .

done easy Peasy, Dave 

Thanks for the input @Knifemaker.  I was planning on putting the smoker box under the grate on top of the drip guard, but will consider your suggestion.  And yes, I'm planning on using the warming rack.  I'll certainly use the foil tip as my grill does indeed have a large vent all the way across, though it is well above the height of the warming rack.

I'm not really trying to smoke the meat like a traditional smoker, but cook it low and slow with some smoke input to the process.  I know I'll never get a true smoked effect with a grill, but I'll have some fun playing with it.  I'll post pictures after for the forum's amusement. 😄

I'd use chunks and chips in combo (quick and longer-lasting types together). I'd soak them for at least an hour (2 is better) before using so, again, they last longer and smoke instead of burn.

Well reheated another rack of my baby backs from the freezer last night. Still awesome, and still have two left. We mutually agreed here to make Wednesday Rib night here until they are gone. 

Been putting a lot of use in my new griddle. From doing up burgers to steaks, and even a “breakfast dinner” a few nights ago of eggs, bacon and hash browns. 

Doing up a third cook of chicken fajitas on it tonight, wife absolutely loves these.

Onions on right, red and orange peppers on left. Cook onions until soft, peppers leave a little firmness to them, don’t let them get mushy.

[SIZE=28pt]
E1-DD76-AD-1102-40-A0-AD3-C-4416-E2-FAADF5.jpg
[/SIZE]

Mix peppers and onions, cook chicken.

[SIZE=28pt]
B040-DD2-E-21-CE-4-C1-D-8-F3-E-FC362-A92-B534.jpg
[/SIZE]

Mix chicken with vegetables and season

[SIZE=28pt]
3-ACA2-F0-A-22-DB-4-B37-B522-502-D1824336-B.jpg
[/SIZE]

Scoop some over a bed of cheese, top with sour cream or guacamole. 

[SIZE=28pt]
205-B8-A08-0-B09-4-D6-C-8-AA0-8-CBB213-B049-B.jpg
[/SIZE]

Fajita seasoning:

• [SIZE=28pt]1 tbsp chili powder[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=28pt]1 tbsp kosher salt[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=28pt]2 tsp paprika (can use smoked paprika if you prefer)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=28pt]1 tsp granulated sugar[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=28pt]1 tsp garlic powder[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=28pt]1 tsp onion powder[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=28pt]1/4 tsp cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=28pt]1 tsp ground cumin[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=28pt]1 tbsp cornstarch[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=28pt]Mix well and sprinkle on liberally.[/SIZE]

I hope all who are hunkered down during this crazy time are at least eating well. 

(Sorry about the various changes in text size, no control of that)