Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flat cut makes up the majority of the brisket. It's long and thin with a thick layer of fat on top that keeps the meat moist when cooked. ... It's also the best cut of brisket to use for Homemade Corned Beef. The point cut is thicker, smaller, and marbled with more fat and connective tissue than the flat cut.

BRISKET: FLAT CUT VS. POINT CUT

I guess what I was asking here, was between the two, which tends to be the more tender and flavorful? 

I’ve only done flats, and have no complaints, but as I love using the majority of the brisket in my “chili”, I was wondering if doing a point instead would work better for it.

(However it looks like l will be doing up some slabs of baby backs this Sunday instead.) 

I suggest doing a whole brisket where you get the flat and the point. That way you get the best of both worlds!

When I made your chili I used the flat portion.....

Brian

We’re baasaaaack.................😜
E6-F808-B6-31-CB-484-B-BB30-7960-EC4-F4-B90.jpg

16.5 pounds of BB happiness going into the smoker tomorrow. 

No , McDonalds does that already. Only deboning here will be done with my teeth..😬

Well, ribs in at 1pm. Only thing I changed this time was what I coated the ribs with before putting on the rub. Heard of many that slather them with mustard instead of olive oil (what I usually use)  because they claim it is “stickier”.

My thought was mustard isn’t really that sticky, but honey is. So I made a mix of yellow mustard and honey and used that. 👍

Out after 4 hours at 225-235F

Spritzed with Pepsi (yes, trust me) and wrapped in foil. One going into a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes to eat, the others going into the freezer... 
2-D86-BF92-777-A-4-F51-B1-E1-EBA792-A8-E18-B.jpg

Ribs came out as good as always. Tasted no real difference between these and the ones I used olive on. They were pretty good without BBQ sauce. 

9-EE21734-E0-F3-4-D31-A0-D9-774-A564-DE591.jpg

We ended up eating 1-1/2 slabs, so there’s 3-1/2 racks going into the freezer 👍

Next up...Christmas Dinner.....

Making sushi 🍣 

😉

No , McDonalds does that already. Only deboning here will be done with my teeth..😬

Well, ribs in at 1pm. Only thing I changed this time was what I coated the ribs with before putting on the rub. Heard of many that slather them with mustard instead of olive oil (what I usually use)  because they claim it is “stickier”.

My thought was mustard isn’t really that sticky, but honey is. So I made a mix of yellow mustard and honey and used that. 👍
I do mustard. It all cooks off and I can get much more rub stuck using it than it needs for best results.

Not intended (because I followed mustard recipes before being diagnosed) but adding more sugars is something I try to avoid now that I spent nearly 3 years as a type 2 diabetic and don't want back there ever again.

Happy to hear you all are keeping this thread going.  It’s been a very busy year for the W’s.  We sold off two houses to buy another one, and relocated ourselves up into rural Vermont full time. So I didn’t have nearly as much quality time spent with the smokers as I wanted, but hopefully next year will be better in that regard.

I have one of the KitchenAid meat grinder attachments too.  Made Italian sausages stuffed in casings just once. Stuffing casings was too much hassle for me.  But I make loose breakfast sausage all the time.  I just shape the sausage meat into about 1 pound logs and wrap in wax paper before freezing.  Then you can slightly thaw a log and slice off patties whenever you want.

Those baby backs looked pretty tasty too.  Can’t wait until things warm up enough to get the smoker out of storage.

I have one of the KitchenAid meat grinder attachments too.  Made Italian sausages stuffed in casings just once. Stuffing casings was too much hassle for me.  But I make loose breakfast sausage all the time.  I just shape the sausage meat into about 1 pound logs and wrap in wax paper before freezing.  Then you can slightly thaw a log and slice off patties whenever you want.

Those baby backs looked pretty tasty too.  Can’t wait until things warm up enough to get the smoker out of storage.
Baby backs were in fact very tasty. They were not the local pork I did last time but packaged ribs from Walmart. A mix of Tyson and some other “organic” brand. 

Stuffing the casing for the bratwurst wasn’t all that bad, considering the wife was the loader for the grinder and I dealt with filling the casing. Definitely a two person job. We had a few of those brats for dinner last night from the freezer and they were very good. 

I’ll likely do them again, but will amp up the spice profile with some jalapeño or chipotle.   

St Louis style ribs today.  3 hours in at 180 degrees on the RecTec (their "low smoke" setting.  Using Treager hickory pellets.  Just pulled off to foil and will go back on for about 2 hours, then take the foil off for an hour saucing them the last 30 minutes with KC Masterpiece Premium blend (can only find at Cash and Carry around here)
XeIXYxj.jpg

An8z7Ki.jpg

Sauced and done

BdTJ1Py.jpg

CVL5ykv.jpg

Cash and Carry is a restaurant supply store.  I assume that is why it is not in regular stores.

Round two to cook today.
Ah. Found it online. But they only sell it by the case (4 - 158oz bottles) price from 61 to 93 dollars, 23 bucks shipping. 😳

Does have good reviews 👍

I do know I’m not fond of their “original” sauce. But it says 6 out of ten prefer it to the Original. 

I remember buying gallon jugs of Mauls back in the day, but I always dressed it up with more sugar and spices. 😉

Wife likes Baby Ray’s original, so that’s what I usually use. I myself now tend to use just a light smear on my ribs, sometimes none at all. 

St Louis style ribs today.  3 hours in at 180 degrees on the RecTec (their "low smoke" setting.  Using Treager hickory pellets.  Just pulled off to foil and will go back on for about 2 hours, then take the foil off for an hour saucing them the last 30 minutes with KC Masterpiece Premium blend (can only find at Cash and Carry around here)

Sauced and done

Wow, those do look great.  I wouldn’t have thought you’d get them to pull back on the bones that much with such a low cooking temp.  Have you used a pit thermometer to verify the set-temp?  Maybe it was the relatively long 2 hours wrapped?

Since we moved I no longer have a reliable supply of baby backs.  The local markets only seem to get St Louis or Spare Rib cuts.  I should probably work on perfecting the method on those since they are more available.  Maybe the long wrapped time is the key?

On another note, I found this interesting:

What stood out was how well the ribs that were just coated with salt and pepper (commonly called a Dalmatian rub) were rated. 

Granted all this is subjective, and I know there’s a plethora of rubs on the market. 

But it makes me think the next time I do ribs I’ll do a few of them with just salt and pepper to judge it myself 😉

I like that guy.  He has a good channel.  Don’t always agree with him but he generally has good ideas.

As for Dalmatian rub, I’ve been using that pretty much exclusively on Beef and Lamb lately.  Still like a little sweetness in the pork rub.