Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Knife:

I used some leftover brisket that I had in the freezer to make your 6 bean chili tonight (for which you so kindly provided the recipe above).

It was fantastic!  Lots of leftovers for lunches and a few dinners this week.
We’ll be doing this regularly this fall and winter with leftover brisket (or tri-tip for that matter...).

Thanks again for sharing.

bilnflyfisher

Hey you’re  welcome 😉

Glad it turned out well.  I’m usually weary of posting recipes as I don’t really use measuring devices when I cook, I just eyeball stuff, so breaking it down to teaspoons or tablespoons and such most times is just my best guess. 

This one however I made notes on because it was entered into a chili cook off (which I won 2nd place for it 👍) So I was more confident giving the recipe out. 

KM, Your links are broken for me.

Odd. I'm the opposite. I like recipes because they enable repeatability.

I only got into cooking for pleasure instead of neccessity once I started absorbing all the Alton Brown/Good Eats shows. It's the cook-to-temp-instead-of-color and the explanations of why things work like they do. Once I had hard targets to shoot for, my cooking improved tons (not saying it's good now; just better). I have also started to move into the areas of making things with what's on hand that have gone

Much better than my childhood days of nothing to eat in the house so I made a catsup-mustard-and-mayo sandwich because only bread and condiments were in the house (hey, I was in 6th grade while mom was at work).

Not sure why links aren’t working for you, all seem fine here, maybe reload the FJR page?

I made ketchup sandwiches too. Sometimes I just drank it right out of the bottle 😳

I understand the repeatability of a recipe, I was just saying when I cook, I know for instance, that a lump of spice in the palm of my hand is going to be the same it was last time I made the dish, I just don’t know what the equivalent is in oz or teaspoons. So everything I make is repeatable, for me....the problem is sharing it and supplying measurements they can follow.

It’s kinda like saying “a pinch of salt”, if you have big fingers it’s not the same as someone else.

What I really need to do is weigh everything and write it down, which would make sharing a recipe easier. 👍

My grandmother and MiL both did that and it made learning their recipes tougher. My daughters put a lot of effort into "fine tuning" their guesses with things like biscuits and noting real amounts until they got it just perfect, then documented the heck out of them.

As for the links, as of 10/5 they now look like this:

links.jpg

Still not sure the problem with the links. I use Postimage , or https://postimages.org

Perhaps they changed something there or your browser doesn’t recognize them for some reason. Here’s the direct link to the post you showed. Maybe it will let you scroll through my recent photos... 😳

5-D480684-A9-F9-487-B-A1-E1-630-BACE71-A97.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/GtvgTFNg/5-D480684-A9-F9-487-B-A1-E1-630-BACE71-A97.jpg

or

https://postimg.cc/WqbwQks0

Saw that. When inserting an image (and not just a page link) it has to end in a file type that is graphic (JPG, GIF, etc.) or it will end up not displaying in the message itself.

Somewhat smoker related, as that’s where they will end up....

I just bought a grinder/sausage maker attachment for our Kitchenaid Pro mixer. Been dying to try making my own bratwurst and chorizo.  More to come.... 😉

D2404-B23-C149-426-A-AC0-C-C0-DB08-C1-FD8-F.jpg

Somewhat smoker related, as that’s where they will end up....

I just bought a grinder/sausage maker attachment for our Kitchenaid Pro mixer. Been dying to try making my own bratwurst and chorizo.  More to come.... 😉

we have one of those and use it to make sausage.   Use 25 lbs of pork butt, leave the fat, use Legg's Old Plantation Seasoning, grind with the course setting, then mix in the seasoning, then grind again.  We use the course again, but you may want to use the fine screen.  Awesome sausage.  The Legg's has the classic sausage seasoning taste.  Really good.

Well, I came up with my own seasoning mix, after studying several bratwurst recipes online. Made up the meat Friday evening, and stuffed them today. 

3-C719-ABA-CD16-40-AD-B9-B0-D497-B2-E65015.jpg

Will find out later how they taste..... 😉

OK. Brats came out pretty damn good. A different taste profile than bratwurst I’ve had before, but in the classic German arena. Definitely would have totally rocked with a good German sweet mustard (which we were sadly out of)

Here’s the seasoning mix I made...only edit I’d I used a whole cup of beer, not 1/2 (I used Dos Equis) 

46534303-D08-A-4-E56-9-B7-D-AD2-A7-E63181-D.jpg

have about 20 links going into the freezer for future meals.

Very happy with the results for my first attempt here. 

Only change I’d add is to finely chop a few jalapeños and put them in the mix. 😉

So,what’s better, brisket wise, the point or the flat?

Local farm has both. I have done a few flats, but heard the point is more tender.