Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it matters if you’re having your ribs “wet” or “dry”  or if you’re saucing them for that last hour of the cook, which I’ve done for years early on. Caramelizing the sauce on the grill would add some definite sweetness, especially if you add more sugar to your BBQ sauce.

I’ve got a new appreciation of a good smoke flavor on a dry rib. Especially if you can find some fresh ribs. 

Fred, if you ever feel the need, I can ship you some baby backs 😉   

I did my 2nd batch of ribs on my OK Joe yesterday (I’m a bit late to the rib-smoking party). Learning the nuances, but really happy with the results so far.

I did 1 rack of St.Louis style spare ribs and 6 country style boneless ribs in the 3-2-1 method.  Then put them back in foil for about 30 mins more in the smoker just to soften them up in their own juices.  I also had a tri-tip in beings I had the smoker going.....

The tri tip was really good, but the ribs were outstanding!   Make some great leftovers, that’s for sure....

Biknflyfisher

What stood out was how well the ribs that were just coated with salt and pepper (commonly called a Dalmatian rub) were rated.  
Odd thing is, the last 2 times I've done "big smokes" (lots of stuff done then put down in the freezer for later) was using just Dalmatian. Surprisingly good after chasing fancy rubs.

Ah. Found it online. But they only sell it by the case (4 - 158oz bottles) price from 61 to 93 dollars, 23 bucks shipping. 😳

Does have good reviews 👍

I do know I’m not fond of their “original” sauce. But it says 6 out of ten prefer it to the Original. 

I remember buying gallon jugs of Mauls back in the day, but I always dressed it up with more sugar and spices. 😉

Wife likes Baby Ray’s original, so that’s what I usually use. I myself now tend to use just a light smear on my ribs, sometimes none at all. 
We don't like the original either.  We switched from Baby Rays to this.  More spice, less vinegar taste.

Wow, those do look great.  I wouldn’t have thought you’d get them to pull back on the bones that much with such a low cooking temp.  Have you used a pit thermometer to verify the set-temp?  Maybe it was the relatively long 2 hours wrapped?

Since we moved I no longer have a reliable supply of baby backs.  The local markets only seem to get St Louis or Spare Rib cuts.  I should probably work on perfecting the method on those since they are more available.  Maybe the long wrapped time is the key?
Yes, there is a digital thermometer, that can be plugged in independent of the temp sensor for the grill.  They track within 1 degree of each other.

We switched from baby backs because the wife likes these better (more meat for her taste).  These in the picture were from Cash and Carry.  3 in a package.  Requires more prep time than the ones we get from Costco. 

The Costco ones around here they are from swift meats.  They are prepped very well, no membrane to remove.  Basically pat them down and season. Price is reasonable come in packages or 3.  Sometimes she will get them at Wal-Mart in single racks.

Oddly my wife prefers the baby backs, which she claims has more meat on them.

Granted, I do try to buy BB racks that are in the 4lb range each.

I don’t use the 3-2-1 method on baby backs, I cook them straight through for 4 to 4-1/2 hours at 225-235F. Seems the times I’ve wrapped ribs in foil, they came out too tender for me (this on St. Louis style ribs, I see no advantage wrapping BB’s)

Pappy’s Smokehouse here in St.Louis, well known for their back ribs* cooks them as I do, also using applewood and cherrywood. Although they obviously use their own dry rub, which I think is much spicer than mine. Perhaps I should check to see if they sell their rub separately 😉

I guess I go for more smoke flavor over “fall off the bone” tenderness. However reheating the ones I put in the freezer which are wrapped in foil do come out softer than the ones right off the smoker.

As one shouldn’t make multiple changes in the pursuit of nailing down a great smoked meat, but should just change one thing at a time, I’ll try the Dalmatian rub first and go from there...👍

Although...I normally dry brine my ribs overnight with kosher salt. So, would guess adding more salt as a rub would end up too salty. (My regular rub has no salt) So I’m thinking not to dry brine the ribs I’ll use the salt/pepper rub on. 😳

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy's_Smokehouse

Oddly my wife prefers the baby backs, which she claims has more meat on them.

Granted, I do try to buy BB racks that are in the 4lb range each.

I don’t use the 3-2-1 method on baby backs, I cook them straight through for 4 to 4-1/2 hours at 225-235F. Seems the times I’ve wrapped ribs in foil, they came out too tender for me (this on St. Louis style ribs, I see no advantage wrapping BB’s)

Pappy’s Smokehouse here in St.Louis, well known for their back ribs* cooks them as I do, also using applewood and cherrywood. Although they obviously use their own dry rub, which I think is much spicer than mine. Perhaps I should check to see if they sell their rub separately 😉

I guess I go for more smoke flavor over “fall off the bone” tenderness. However reheating the ones I put in the freezer which are wrapped in foil do come out softer than the ones right off the smoker.

As one shouldn’t make multiple changes in the pursuit of nailing down a great smoked meat, but should just change one thing at a time, I’ll try the Dalmatian rub first and go from there...👍

Although...I normally dry brine my ribs overnight with kosher salt. So, would guess adding more salt as a rub would end up too salty. (My regular rub has no salt) So I’m thinking not to dry brine the ribs I’ll use the salt/pepper rub on. 😳

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy's_Smokehouse

I removed the salt from my rub too. I prefer to salt them overnight if possible, but at least an hour before going on the smoker. IMO doing this has really upped the flavor on them.

We switched from baby backs because the wife likes these better (more meat for her taste).
That's why we started getting "country cut" or whatever they call their cuts with extra goodness.

I know the answer to this one though. (Thanks to Alton Brown) The ice crystals break the cell membranes in the meat so when they thaw, they are "mushier" (aka more tender).

Although...I normally dry brine my ribs overnight with kosher salt. So, would guess adding more salt as a rub would end up too salty. (My regular rub has no salt) So I’m thinking not to dry brine the ribs I’ll use the salt/pepper rub on.
Couldn't you put the S&P on the night before and accomplish both?

Our rub uses salt.  Sometimes I'll rub them the night before, sometimes and hour before.  I haven't noticed any difference in the finished product.

I cook them straight through for 4 to 4-1/2 hours at 225-235F. Seems the times I’ve wrapped ribs in foil, they came out too tender for me (this on St. Louis style ribs, I see no advantage wrapping BB’s)
I'll have to try your cooking method to see the difference.  

Yep. Was just wondering if the crushed pepper gets wet would it taste the same as putting it on just before smoking?

Seems it be better to just dry brine with salt and then just rub with pepper.

And yes, I think it’s partially the water freezing in the meat, along with the ribs “steaming” in the foil when reheating them...as I normally put hem in a oven at 225 for about an hour, then open the foil a bit and let them go another 20-30 minutes at 350F. (I spray them with apple juice before wrapping them and freezing them BTW)

Surface pepper, during a cook, will mostly burn off. It's why you pepper things like stews during a cook (to get it into the mix) and not when grilling steaks (doing it after the cook).

I guess that would then depend on if you properly cook your smoked meats (with sauce on the side) or hide your deficiencies by saucing it. ;)

Not sure what temperature crushed pepper will burn, given a smoke temp of 225-235. Sugars in rubs do caramelize at those temperatures.

My thought here now is to use salt and pepper like any other rub, applying it an hour or so before the meat goes in the cooker. And just leave out the overnight dry brine. 😉

Smoked chicken tonight. Spatchcoked and Rubbed with a semi-hot Plowboy's Yardbird rub and topped with bacon. Smoked about 3-4 hours.   This makes a good meal in a hurry.  I'll try to take a picture, but it's awfully dark outside this time of year.   Plowboy's is a good base for anything from ribs to chicken, and I buy it in 5-lb bags. Contains Salt, sugar, spices including chili pepper, paprika, dehydrated garlic and onion, celery powder, mustard flour.  You can take it pretty much any direction you want, but the basic rub is economical and flavorful.

Smoked a rack of baby backs for the game. I brined half of the rack in a coffee brine, did the other half my normal way (dry brine a few hours, add my rub and smoke). The Mrs. preferred the "normal" way, while I liked the coffee brined ribs better. She said while they were both good, she felt the normal way was moister. I liked the added depth of flavor the coffee brine added.

To coffee brine I brewed a 12 oz cup of coffee, added 1 tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of my rub mix to it. Added enough ice to cool it down, then poured the brine over the ribs in a plastic bag. Removed all of the air from the bag and let it soak around 4-5 hours before pulling the ribs out, dusting with my rub and smoking them.

Interesting. Not fond of coffee, so unsure I’d try that one.

Have heard of brines using cola, apple juice, apple vinegar, apple cider, other fruit juices, and beer. (To name a few)

Some are really more of a “marinade” than a brine (guessing the amount of salt determines this) I still “marinate” my pork steaks in Italian salad dressing, am sure it contains salt, just not that much.

To coffee brine I brewed a 12 oz cup of coffee, added 1 tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of my rub mix to it. Added enough ice to cool it down, then poured the brine over the ribs in a plastic bag. Removed all of the air from the bag and let it soak around 4-5 hours before pulling the ribs out, dusting with my rub and smoking them.
Never heard of such a thing. Interesting. [Looking left at the double espresso Americano] Is the coffee as whole beans, grounds or brewed liquid?