Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some really good brisket on Sunday afternoon that was smoked by my SIL on his Traeger for his daughters 4th B-Day party. It was on the smoker about 14 hours total overnight, and he got up several times in the night to check on it.

I knew it was going to be good when I watched him slice it and it was “jiggly”. 

SIL didn’t think it was very good, but we hardly heard his comments as we were too busy chewing and swallowing......

Biknflyfisher

baby backs on the RecTec  be ready in 6 hours

9vKHPBW.jpg

Well, have 7 whole chicken leg quarters I’m smoking today. They were donated to our food pantry, so I’m going to cook them and deliver them to some of the needy folks in the area . 

Photos hopefully later...

OK. Chicken came out great. There were 7 huge legs. After delivering some to a few folks (One old on disability, one with terminal cancer, two to our neighbors that just had to spend $2,500 they really don’t have on eye surgery for their fur baby, and one  in bad health living only on a pitiful amount of social security) Left two legs that we had for dinner. They were pretty freaking good. 👍👍 I had brined them all day and put then in the smoker around 4pm using applewood. Used a commercial poultry rub that was low salt. Took 2 hours at 235F to hit 165 internal. 

Wife’s says I should do these again.

88-D7-B9-A0-1-C56-4530-9788-EAA41-E1-E1520.jpg

Also donated was a 9 pound pork loin half. Was frozen and now thawing in the fridge, so likely sometime this week I’ll be firing up the smoker again. 😉

I like chicken parts but every time I've tried in the smoker they came out rubbery.   Even throwing them on the grill for a few afterwards didn't seem to help.

Here’s the  8.8 pound “sirloin pork loin roast half” in the smoker. Looks like it was cut and not dressed up at all. Usually they French the rib bones. I didn’t want to f@$k with trying to do that myself...figure I’ll just cook it and figure out how to cut it when it’s done.  😳

5-B99-A26-F-1148-4108-B386-4224456-D08-B5.jpg

BigO...the problem with chicken is at normal smoking temps (225-250) the skin won’t crisp up and be like rubber. No problem for us as we don’t eat the skin. 😉

If it’s over cooked it can get “rubbery” .... if you cook it to 120F and then put it on a hot grill until it hits 165F it should come out tender. If you put it on the grill after it hits 165 it will over cook. 

After about 3 hours at 245-255F, hit 140 and pulled it.

31-D959-C4-2-A16-4-A7-A-9276-4495252249-CC.jpg

784-D9954-8028-41-D3-879-D-BBC6-D906-A7-E9.jpg

There were no rib bones. Just part of the back bone running up one side. Just cut around it and yanked it out (in pieces)

Guess it’s the loin minus the baby backs?

Tasted fabulous. Divided it up into about 5 bags....about two sandwich’s worth per bag. Will deliver it to the lucky recipients later. 

Knifermaker, I like to spatchcock chicken and cook at 250 but finish at 300 F No problem with skin being like rubber, and with a good rub and smoke it tastes great.

Yeah, you need to cook chicken at higher temps to crisp up the skin. 225 F usually won’t do it. 

However, leaving your chicken to “dry” overnight in the refrigerator helps a lot. 

Offset smokers also help because they flow more air than other smokers. Most times I cook chicken I do skinless pieces anyway.😉

internal-meat-temperature-chart_418470.jpg

I usually shoot for a little low (say -5º on rare) and let it coast up the rest of the way when wrapped and resting in an insulated chest if not serving right away (or wrapped not in a chest while finishing the sides). The searing on the stove for crispy skin is always an option when you leave a little extra room for the internal temp to coast up to finished while crisping.

Just got the reviews back on the chicken and pork loin. They said the chicken was great, but the pork loin was outstanding. I agree, still not sure exactly what cut the pork was, but it was just tender and delicious as is...no sauce or condiments needed.... One gal said she was going to make a sandwich and took a taste of the pork out of the bag first. She said she just sat there and ate the rest cold right out of the bag. 😉

I didn’t have time to brine the pork, so I just used a “salty” rub. I made some shallow criss-cross slices in the fat layer and a deeper slice up under the boney parts and smeared it in with the rub and some Mediterranean spice infused extra Virgin olive oil. I’ll likely do the same next time I do a pork loin.  👍

I’m supposed to get my bbqguru blower this week. Plan is to use first in my UDS on a brisket. More to follow.... 

Sounds yummy.

I plan on loading up Smoky Joe early Monday morning with a pork shoulder, then mid-day I’ll add bone-in and country style ribs, then a bit later add a tri tip for good measure.

Gonna’ be a meat-a-pooloza.....

Nice. 

I scored a 4 pound point cut from our local butcher. Going in the UDS Monday morning,  and will be hooking up my homemade stoker. Bought a 10 CFM fan and 3/4 ball joint adapter from the bbqguru folks. Have a PID controller built by my SIL.  Hopefully will get it to work 😉

My 4 pound brisket (point cut) trimmed, rubbed, (and then wrapped & put in the fridge overnight) which will hopefully get in the drum smoker tomorrow morning around 7am:

D21-CA219-0-A9-C-444-E-AFE5-927-BD8-E58-D61.jpg

Rub recipe:

Brisket Rub

5 tablespoons paprika

3 tablespoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons garlic powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon dried parsley

2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1/4 teaspoon hot chili powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano

Hopefully my homemade “guru” will work out as I have a bunch of stuff to do tomorrow, including grilling up a bunch of burgers for a crowd two doors down. 😬 AND... On top of that, driving the truck back and forth from one side of the lake to the other to load/unload about 100 -  eighty pound stones for the 15 foot fire pit we are building. 

My plan is to cook through the stall (not wrapping the brisket) 

So, a busy day tomorrow 🙄