Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KM - that's some damm fine looking ribs. You and I do it the same way for ribs - sause goes on just before you take it off.
Yep... I always do my ribs (or most pork really) by using a dry rub for smoking, then finishing them over LOW heat with sauce.

I think Fred said he's making them for the 4th...so pictures will likely come tomorrow....

Well, you guys were right. We were very busy with the whole Brisket BBQ, face stuffing, and family fun, to be posting fotos. I was so wrapped up in everything that I didn't get any decent cut meat shots. That and it turned out a bit underwhelming.

The cook did not go as I had planned. The water bath had too much water in it, or too much suface area, and It turned the whole thing into a giant steam bath. The outside of the meat was not darkening into the wonderful bark that I covet, so when it reached the 160F stall I opened up the drum and removed the water pan altogether and put the meat back on flipped with the fat side down over the semi-direct heat of the drum. I don't think I'd bother with the water pan again. Oh well, I'm only out ~ 4 bucks as the extra grille will come in handy in some other ways. like expanding my ribs capacity.

I did manage to snap some phone pics of the (nearly) finished brisket... Here's Angus at around 6pm, after ~12 hours of smoking at 220-230F.

IMG_0605.jpg

The probe (in the tip end) was only at around 170F, but when I stuck a second thermometer probe into the thickest section of the flat that was already up to 185F. So right after this photo I cut and harvested the flat half and left the (much fattier) tip on the smoker to finish on its own.

After another good hour of resting in my faux cambrio (a small cooler with some towels wrapped around the foil wrapped meat) and several adult libations
rolleyes.gif
, I plumb forgot to take any fud Pr0n shots when I sliced up the meat. The smoke ring was thin, substandard IMO, and the bark was not magnificent, which I attribute to the steaming vs smoking. The flat tasted fine, and was relatively tender, but not as much smoke flavor as what I was expecting. The rub did make the bark that was there quite tasty and peppery (both black and cayenne), but it still needed some help with BBQ sauce (I prefer Stubbs Spicy)

A couple of hours later with the tip at 190F (I was shooting for 195) I pulled it and wrapped it and tossed it in the faux cambrio. The extra time seems to have improved the bark, but I'll be warming it on the gas grille whenever we decide to attack that half, so it will firm up the bark even more.

IMG_0606.jpg

All in all, I would declare smoking a full brisket to just be too much of a PITA (and expense) to bother with it again. I might be tempted to do one end or the other again, but doing the whole thing complicates things greatly. I'll also skip the steam bath in the future, and just work on keeping my temps low and slow to avoid drying out the meat.

While the meat was good, it did not live up to my high expectations (or high expense) as compared to the ribs, poultry, and pork shoulder that I've done in the past. I hope other folks have more complete successes with their holiday weekend 'que than we did.

If it was 7 lbs, that's not a whole brisket, unless it was veal. Whole beef packer brisket run around 12 lbs and up.

It's probably a nice HOF (hunk of flat), which is what I probably should have gone with. Good luck with it, Joe.

Certified Angus Brisket, vacuum sealed from the butcher. Guess you just can't trust anybody these days...

...after 3 1/2 hours of smoke, and turn the heat down to low and slow, for the next 7-8 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on smoking tomorrow. Ribs, chicken and boneless ribs roast. It may be that your water pan was to close to the meat Fred. My brinkman comes with a water pan and I do fill it up. I can tell you that it just above the coals and not close to the meat. There was still water and drippings left in the pan when I smoked a couple of weeks ago when finished. Yeh, in my opinion smoking is best done with cheap cuts of meet. No need to go all out with expensive cuts. You can't get much cheaper that boneless chicken thighs and those things were freakin awesome.

Stay posted for tomorrows attempt,

Dave

Watching BBQ pitmasters on Destination America. They are doing brisket flats. All three of the judges say they run their pits between 275-300 for brisket. I was doing my brisket between 230-250. Next time I am going to try it at a bit higher temp.

The brinkman is ready to light up in the am. keeping it simple this time. I opened up the vents in the bottom of the charcoal pan. Hoping to get a little more heat this time. They aren't adjustalbe so I needed a hammer and a drift punch. Kind of like working on my ford.

Dave

Pulled the brisket off the smoker last night at 8:00 after 12 hrs. of low and slow. After a few samples, by friends, my wife and myself, it was wrapped up and put away. Sliced it up this morning, and had some with breakfast. Turned out to be a brisket to be proud of. My family loves the stuff, and my son said this one's probably the best he's ever had.

Added a removable side shelf on my "Ugly Drum Smoker".

IMG_0607.jpg

Stained and sealed the shelf with polyurethane. It will come in handy for thermometers, plates, and such. I mounted the shelf using an old 90 degree mailbox bracket that slips over one of the two handles mounted on the drum.

The plywood block underneath is thumb-screwed to the bracket, and just locks the bracket from being levered up out of handle and stabilizes the shelf front to back. It doesn't touch the outside surface of the drum, just the handle. The metal support strut runs down to one of the pre-existing screws for the lower grate support and just hooks on the protruding head.

IMG_0609.jpg

Shelf easily removes in a few seconds so I can still cover the drum with a round Weber grill cover, I need to add a bar on the front edge to hang BBQ tools from while using.

Haha... yeah, it's the back lawn there, so no effort goes into it. The front lawn looks a little better...

And yeah we have two big dogs.
wink.png

My next place will have NO lawn.

Last night was a quick and easy Pork Tenderloin on the gas fired COS (Cheap Offset Smoker).

IMG_0641.jpg

Just a simple Dalmatian rub (I actually used TooTall Tom's Original Camp Mix straight from the shaker) and smoked it with some Hickory wood chunks for ~ 3 hours. I love doing these Pork tenderloins because they are so tender and really suck up the smoke flavor well. Check out that smoke ring!

You only need to cook 'em to ~ 140 to 145F max internal, than take it off and wrap it in foil and towels to finish and rest. We just sliced 1/2 of it up thinly and laid it with a sauce into a couple of yummy sammiches. The leftovers make a great addition to your breakfast plate, or goes well into lots of other dishes.

That looks fantastic Fred. I'm surprised the tenderloin held up to 3-hours of heat, but the smoke ring is great!

I got busy this morning and stoked up the smoker for another pork butt that had been rubbed 3 days ago. I cut some Almond off of some logs I brought from CA for the smoke wood. This time I tried something a bit different. You asked last time why I didn't trim all the fat and rind last time, and I realized that I was missing on a good opportunity for flavor and smoke penetration. So this time, I trimmed the rind leaving it attached at the bone as a flap. So the pork was rubbed under the fat cap and the cap was pulled back for the first part of the smoke. This allowed a good crust to start and smoke to penetrate. As the cook progressed past 140 degrees internal temp, I placed the fat-cap back over the meat to allow remaining fat to drip over the meat.

CC27EDF8-CAB3-4ACB-BB2A-CB1ADE08BEB6.jpg

B273D7DE-59C4-4AA9-BFC7-52ECCBECAEB6.jpg

This worked great because the pork came out great at 198 degrees, and I had dog treats.

AB77DC19-B9BC-4198-9097-2304F9BEC031.jpg

C2932396-7BEE-4A7D-B691-D34F51B7FC3B.jpg

At this time of year the garden is producing a surplus of tomatoes and peppers. So I cooked a sauce using a dozen fresh tomatoes, a couple de-seeded jalapenos and hot banana peppers. This combined with the sauteed onion, garlic, paprika, mustard seed, thyme, oregano, cider vinegar, yellow mustard, brown sugar and worstershire, resulted in one of the nicest sauces I've done. Only problem is, it is only 2:30 and the cook is done. I'm waiting for the meat to cool enough to shred, but I'm stealing samples.

I forgot to put the foil pan under the roast on the ceramic heat deflector, so now I have a dog lollipop too. The deflector is a mess.

No... that looks fantastic!

Nice idea with the fat flap. Even just setting it off on the side or maybe below the shoulder for puppy treats (and to deflect some heat) would probably be a good idea.

PS - I kept the heat very low and fully indirect on the tenderloins.

I think I'm becoming a pork-a-holic

I am hoping to be a pork-a-holic this weekend. I ran out of smoked meet last week. I think I will try a whole sirloin pork also. Fred's look so good.

Dave

One of these days, I'm gonna try this with a deer or elk. An Oryx would be awesome, but I've gotta pull a hunt.

If you ever get the chance to try Oryx meat, don't pass it up. It's the best meat I've ever tasted. It's amazing.