Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double or nothing. I got a late start on this due to a 7:30 surgical appointment this morning. I'm hoping to cut into something other than my back to make up for it.
2AD8C6ED-18FD-4113-90FD-B43A380E4FE9.jpg
Back surgery? I thought you were getting an addadicktomy...
lol.gif
lol2.gif

Man - you guys have mad skills with this!!!! What impresses me the most is that you cook this stuff on the cheapest grills! I see these guys spend $$$$$$$ (thousands) on these fancy grills and they can't hold a candle to what I've seen on thread.

I shall hope to one day sample these great delights!

Tom's looks like some sort of a Kamado style cooker. I was very tempted to go that route because of the sheer flexibility of that kind of pit, but opted for the ultra cheap route instead, being the Ugly Drum Smoker. Dave's is a Webber Smokey Mountain (looks to be the smaller one), which is a very capable smoker. That was on the short list too before I decided to go the "DIY" route.

Someday, maybe after I retire and have "time to burn", I'll fab up some sort of a Mega-Jumbo-Pit like LittleJon has. But of course, being a tech wienie, mine will have to be computer temperature controlled some how.
wink.png

In the meantime, even a cheap grille lets you work on the craft. I have to say, I'm having a blast with it and the fact that we get some really good eats out of it doesn't hurt anything except my waist line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Bubba's Big Steel Keg (BSK) for $299 plus 20% off back in 2011 when Orchard Hardware was clearing em out, and added a Big Green Egg plate setter heat diffuser. It has been a great Kamado unit that should have cost $700 . It's turned out a lot of good BBQ. It moved with me from CA to PA for obvious reasons.

Tonight's cook is at 185190 F and should be coming off pretty soon.

I somehow drew the lucky card and am rooming with LittleJon at this year's EOM. Between us, I think we might have to come up with some Q.

This morning I had a wide area excision on my back for sins of the sun. So I'm kinda mellow on some 1792 bourbon to go with pulled pork and corn on the cob this evening. They don't prescribe pain killers anymore, so I figured the bourbon was just the thing to go with the BBQ today.

I made one batch as sweet/mild and the other one as lava/hot. My fingers are still burning, and when my wife went in the kitchen she was coughing and described the effect as pepper spray.

Do you like your BBQ hot? The fresh ingredients are amazing!

0106F11A-A294-491E-8A5F-D73C1890BBEE.jpg

Myself... I do like some spicy BBQ sauce, but not lava hot like sauce for wings. I prefer to still be able to taste the meat. Wings, on the other hand, don't really taste like much to begin with. As a point of reference, the Stubbs "Hot" is just about the right heat level for me for my BBQ. My wife and kids don't even like it that hot, so we usually have a few different commercially available sauces around.

Your tomatoes and peppers look awesome. They must have made a great sauce. I need to get into that end of it soon.

My younger brother was (is?) a professional chef, (he now works as a purveyor for restaurants), and he'll be visiting us on the day that we are have the pulled pork this week . It should be interesting to see what he thinks of it. He'll probably say:, "Too much smoke flavor," and I'll say, "Yup. Just the way I like it!" ;)

"Lava-hot" is an extreme exaggeration. I'd put this at about a 3 of 10 on the spicy scale. The jalapeno has a slight bite but someone who likes really spicy food would still add Sriracha or Tabasco. The cooking of the sauce with fresh peppers does off-gas some irritating capsaicin into the air temporarily. Forgot to run the vent fan.

Pulled pork is better on the second day, and lunch was very good today.

Maaaaaaan, I was gonna say...those Jalapeños with that amount of tomatoes couldn't have been that hot. Lol. This reminded me we have some of my Mom-in-law's fresh salsa in the fridge. That stuff is good and not crazy hot.

I make a "cold" hot sauce (no cooking).

Onion, carrot, garlic, and top the blender off with either scotch bonnet or habanero peppers.

Once you start the blender, anyone in the kitchen will feel it on their skin.

The big smoker was built piece by piece, modification after modification by a couple of friends over a couple of years. Even the fire box was built from scratch. Ben, of Ben's Jamin' Ribs, is really into it, competitions and catering. I just come along to help out. My smoker of choice is a salvaged 55 gallon barrel with a wood ring in the bottom and a grate on top. Very simple. I call that one the "Ronco", because it's a set it and forget it set up. There's a ball valve on he bottom to control incoming air, and just a hole in the lid for the smoke to escape. Using the ball valve at the base to set the temperature, once it levels out where you want it to be, it will stay there. I can walk away from a brisket for 3-4 hours knowing the temperature will not fluctuate more than 5 degrees. It cost me about $100 to build.

Sounds like my vertical drum smoker (the build photos are earlier in this thread), except I have a charcoal basket that will hold en entire bag of charcoal, plus some wood chunks for the smoke.

I'm finding that with the charcoal I can just flip the ball valve fully open and it holds a nice steady 230-240 degrees. I have a second hole on the opposite side with a pipe nipple fitted with a cap in case I want to run the temp higher, like for poultry or smoke / roasting lean meat. It really is a great setup for the small investment.

I'm seriously thinking of fitting the inlet with a temp controller fan for some real "set it and forget it" control.

My brisket cold BBQ sauce is sweeter.

Ketchup

Dijon Mustard and yellow Mustard

Worteshire (sp????) sause

Balsamic Vineager (this stuff I got in Florence - it's amazing - I could eat this on a cracker)

Apple juice

Brown sugar

couple drops of liquid smoke

Cayenne pepper

cumen (sp??)

garlic powder

oinon powder

pinch of salt

Can't offer proportions - like everything else I cook, I just throw it all together, then taste and smell and add to my liking.

I too run the Ugly Drum Smoker. I'm quite impressed at how easy it is to get such good results from such a small investment. I love mine.

When I first brought the drum home I distinctly remember the look on my wife's face and the tone in her voice when she said "And what the hell is that?" She certainly doesn't complain about the food that has come off of it though.
biggrin.png

It was one of the first items to be moved over to the new house last week.
biggrin.png

Well, the wife said she'd let me blow some cash on a smoker for my birthday (October 4)....as it's still "our" money...I don't want to spend a whole bunch, hoping to stay in the 200-350 buck range.

That said... There's a local guy here that builds smokers. .I asked abut a reverse smoker and he said he's got a nice 30 gallon tank that would make an awesome pit. (I posted his FB page earlier) I have not got a price out of him yet. Am sure he'd do a great job, but just not sure if a 17X30 inch smoker is going to be big enough for me. He usually makes grills from 50 gallon drums, but says it's hard to weld one up with a good seal for a reverse smoker. I'm going to his shop Thursday to have a look and hopefully pry a price out of him.

(I'm expecting he will be at the higher end of my price range)

My other thought was to just buy a large offset smoker like this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/23215267

There are dozens of plans and videos online on how to modify these into great pits, and I'm pretty handy building stuff.

(I worked as a union sheet metal worker for 10 years)

So, in a quandary right now as to the best choice of the two. Any thoughts?

Thanks...

The problem with the Walmart type smokers is that are made from thin metal. Depending on the weather, it makes it harder to control the temperature.

Home Depot sells a good sized offset smoker (made by Brinkman I believe) that is made of a decently heavy gauge steel. It would be pretty easy to convert to a reverse draft the same way I did with my Cheap Offset Smoker at the beginning of this thread. Just install a steel plate to reverse the smoke path and relocate the top vent and Bob's your uncle.

PS - The pulled pork was consumed by the fam last night and it was a big hit, even with my picky Pro foodie brother. ;)

Well, the wife said she'd let me blow some cash on a smoker for my birthday (October 4)....as it's still "our" money...I don't want to spend a whole bunch, hoping to stay in the 200-350 buck range.
If you don't go with the fancy custom-made one, the Akorn Kamodo is in your budget. It ain't a BGE of Kamodo Joe but it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-16620-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue/dp/B00GJEPTJS

ribs.jpg
Those ribs look mighty fine...
yes.gif

Home Depot sells a good sized offset smoker (made by Brinkman I believe) that is made of a decently heavy gauge steel. It would be pretty easy to convert to a reverse draft the same way I did with my Cheap Offset Smoker at the beginning of this thread. Just install a steel plate to reverse the smoke path and relocate the top vent and Bob's your uncle.
Have seen the Brinkman...and it does reportedly have slightly thicker metal used on the body. There's also the Oklahoma Joe 'Horizon' and the 'Longhorn'. I just picked th Char-broil to reference to as it's the most widely found COS around here. Unfortunately.. Grills and Smokers are "seasonal" merchandise around here, so at this time of year it's hard to find a wide selection still on the floor.

It actually was your posts about mods that got me into this whole thing...been doing a lot of research on that recently. I'm pretty settled on getting an offset smoker. I'll likely not weld in a baffle plate but use some bricks and metal to still make some kind of heat reflector...

As the reason I'm set on the offsets is having the option to use it just as a normal charcoal grill.

Going to see "The Man of Steel" tomorrow ....will then decide what way I'm going then.