Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm... Not sure what's going on. I just used the photobucket app on my iPhone to send some pics to my PB account and they came through with a ".jpg" file extension and post fine here.

A tree is on fire in my driveway this morning

B84DD33A-C4ED-48C4-B6C2-F1613A69C08F.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I downloaded the new 9.0.2 OS to my phone and all photos I save are uploaded to PB as jpeg's. The older pics I have at Photobucket are still jpg's.

Oddly if I email a photo to myself it sends it as a jpg...but it converts it back to a jpeg if I try and save it.

Even the older photos that were left on my phone before the update are now jpeg's...

So, if you haven't updated to 9.0.2 yet.....don't ....lol

Great idea on smoking the sauce. I'm definitely going to have to try that one. Thanks.
PS - Did you ever put the sauce bowl under the meat to catch some of the drippings? Hmmm...
Never thought to put the sauce under the meat. Hmmm indeed....

Those look like a nice unit. The probe looks to be a bit beefier than the run of the mill units

I have a Maverik remote display unit that my daughter bought me for fathers day this year (from Home Depot) but it crapped out already. I should bring it back and try another, but I suspect that they are all lousy.

I've also been looking at the BBQ Guru and Stoker units, or maybe building something myself, as that would be pretty awesome to have total temperature control of the pit. The ones that interface with your smart phone are pretty awesome (and expensive)

They just said to contact the administrator of the forum and ask they why it won't accept the other format.
AAFIK it's built into the code. The Admins paid big money to have the code developers look at the forum about several issues. They never fixed a thing and kept the money.

Once uploaded to photobucket, you can edit the file; including the file name extension.

Just an update....so far. It's taken about an hour to get the pit up to nominal cooking temps.

Which is fine, as the seasoning process also includes the paint curing process and both should start low as work their way up.

Got a nice pale blue smoke from my hckory chunks.... Still adjusting the vents. Pretty sure the temp gauges on the pit are reading low...

Have a laser temp gun and been monitoring temps across the whole cooking chamber. Good news is the difference between the left and right side is only 10 degrees according to the analog gauges, but only 3 degrees taking readings with the laser gun.

Got about 7 pounds of charcoal and hickory in the fire box, and it's seems to be burning at a reasonably slow rate.

Everything you need to season a new pit, bottle of Canola oil, a rag, and a big glass of Merlot...

https://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y539/Knifemaker1954/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsrwzwtsld.jpeg

It's a shame to swab the grill with a fine Merlot and drink canola oil.
rolleyes.gif

Dave

It's a shame to swab the grill with a fine Merlot and drink canola oil. :rolleyes:
Dave
It's the price you pay..... ;)
An hour and fourty minutes in and I've got the grate temp stabilized at 264....adjusting the vent a tiny amount ...going for 240!!

As a side note....I put my charcoal starter flue on a piece of ceramic tile left over from the floor I did for our bathroom... The damn thing blew up. So Fred...don't use tile for your heat defuser in your UDS...

And...looks like once up to temp...I only need to keep the air vent open this much to

maintain a 240 degree grate surface.

https://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y539/Knifemaker1954/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpst3wiqild.jpeg

Not surprised that your intake vent opening is small. Yours is actually a pretty large vent for charcoal use, especially considering the stack height.

As a comparison, on my UDS I have two 3/4" close nipples at the bottom for air intake vents, one with a 3/4" ball valve on it and the other with a screw cap. To maintain the drum at a consistent 225-250 degrees I run with just the ball valve open (sometimes slightly closed). I only open the screw cap side just to bring it up to temp after first lighting, or if I need higher temps for cooking poultry. So my total open vent space at 225 is just the ~ 1/2" inside diameter of the 3/4" ball valve. or about 0.2 square inches. Not much.

Oh, probably too late now, but spray cooking oil (like Pam) is great for seasoning grilles.

Yeah, after finding out how rough the inside of the tank was, a spray oil would have been much easier...but I had that left over bottle of Canola oil and as I stopped using it, (I only cook with olive oil now) thought it be a good chance to get rid of it before it went bad.

I was told a heavy gauge pit like mine would take at least an hour to get up to temperature, and it looks like the reverse flow thing is working real well as both sides of the chamber ended up only a degree or two different from each other.

I used about 7 lbs of charcoal for the 2-1/2 hours and about three pounds of wood. Now that I knows where to put the vent, I think that amount should cover me for the ribs this weekend.

The temp gauges on the lid read about 60-70 degrees lower that the food surface temps I saw (using my laser inferred gun) So that digital probe I linked to will be a must have if I'm to do any serious smoking...but I'll have to wing it with what I got this weekend.

The pit seemed to flow smoke well and I could not find any leaks....

https://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y539/Knifemaker1954/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvymqj3yz.jpeg

:)

Looking good! Who (or what) is going to be the first guest of honor?

One thought about "getting the pit up to temp", I really don't worry about that all that much.

I fill my fire basket with charcoal (briquettes and/or lump) and mix in some wood chunks randomly, but leave a small open space on one side. I throw about 8 or 10 briquettes into my upside down starter chimney and light those and just wait until they are ashed over pretty well, then toss the hot coals into the space left in the basket. Drop the whole basket into the bottom of the drum, install the meat grille(s) and drop the meat right on and close it up, bringing the pit up to temp with the meat already on and getting smoked. On the gas fired COS I just light the burner, throw some wood into the smoke pan and slap the meat on the grille right away.

My reasoning is that although the pit is still cold, it's like getting a little cold smoke before you start cooking the meat with heat. I've read that smoke flavor is only absorbed by the meat while still cool, until it starts getting cooked on the outside, and then it's pretty much done except for the outer most bark layer. The more smoking you can get done before the meat cooks the deeper the smoke ring will penetrate.

That's my thought process anyway...

I put the charcoal holder in the UDS, then fill it up putting the wood chunks on top since the meat only absorbs the smoke for so long. Put more lump into my chimney and get it good and hot and starting to ash up. Then just dump it onto the top of the charcoal basket. No worrying about a side or anything. Comes right up to temp and get a good smoke for the first part of the cook and then heat at the end as it burns down. It uses VERY LITTLE charcoal over the process of the cook. Pretty amazing really, the minion method works well and efficiently.

Well, as this was my "seasoning run", I was more concerned with that and getting the paint to cure. I came nowhere near filling up my basket, and the only reason I wanted a ball park time on how long it takes to get to tempature is so I know how soon to start the pit going for specific eating time.

As I usually let my meat sit out for awhile before I cook it, I agree it's very logical to just put in the smoker right at the beginning.

And if you didn't see it, the guest of honor will be several racks of St.Louis Ribs...and some brats, although I'll cook most of those on the grill (more room for ribs)

Perusing your photobucket, I saw this: What's the dope on this? Me wantz.
Sorry, but when I hit the link it just goes to my "Mobil Upload" folder..... But I'm guessing you're talking about the Norton or the Kaw Triple or Vulcan 750?

Portable ashtray cup with a holder for a cigar is what I see.