Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to smoke 15 - 20 pork shoulders twice a year to feed hungry college seniors, mostly men. I would borrow a large commercial smoker from one of the local "professional BBQ" teams and I would use a combination of briquettes and dry hickory.

Later, I started specializing and only doing smaller quantities for our private parties at home.

My favorite things to smoke are prime rib, duck, and rack of lamb.

I like to use hickory as the main smoke agent, but I like to finish with dry pecan.

As for sauce, we're of a mind that it can get in the way of the meat. Some BBQ really benefits from it though.

Regarding the usual things like shoulders and brisket, there's no substitute for both time and temperature. If you keep the smoker at around 200 F, it takes 12+ hours for the collagen to break down in the meat, after which it will pull easily with two forks. Also, I would never apply smoke for more than maybe 3 to 5 hours, judgment based on continuous monitoring during the smoke period. Once you've had enough smoke, you still need the heat. If the batch is small enough, like a shoulder or a brisket, you can wrap it in aluminum foil, and bring it in to the kitchen to finish in the oven. That is, of course, if your wife is a good sport.

The prime rib, duck, and rack of lamb do not need such lengthy time in the heat. They're already tender and you're just trying to get the right degree of doneness and flavor.

So....just a question...I used chunk wood as opposed to chips, (golf ball size to fist sized).. I don't soak them, just toss them in with the coals.

Now I know some still use soaked chips, they make balls with them covered in tinfoil with holes poked around the ball...

Some use chunks but soak them in water (or beer?)

Most Q sites say not to soak the wood as it just creates steam...which actually cools the fire...but some folks swear by soaked wood.

What do you all do here?

(I understand the concept of wrapping the wood in foil...to cut the oxygen so it smolders rather than burns with open flame....as does soaking the wood...but you get smoke from anything organic you burn...soaking it just adds more water vapor right?)

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, smoked chips if it's going on the grill and I need a short smoke. Maybe something like drumsticks. For my smoker I've always used the chunks. Get longer smoke out of them than the chips. The ball and foil method might make for longer smoke but it's just easier to toss the chunks in with the lump charcoal.

The guys with the big pits, a lot don't even use charcoal, just straight wood, which produces the smoke itself.

This one gets fed "Sticks" otherwise, small logs and split wood..

IMG_7398.jpg

Regarding the idea of soaking the wood, I used to do this, but I don't anymore.

It is correct that you just create steam ... and that energy has to go into the phase transformation of the water, from saturated liquid to saturated vapor, but this doesn't really bother me.

I think the big reason to consider soaking the wood is to slow things down. The phase transformation takes place around 212 F at atmospheric pressure, and so this helps you hold your temperature down, and that is good.

You honestly don't need temperatures much above 180F. You do need to have the lengthy time to break down the collagen though.

Soaking your wood makes the flavor producing wood seem to last longer too. If you're using either propane or briquets as your primary heat source, soaking the flavor wood may allow you to use less.

If I had a small amount of wood, or wood chips, available for smoking, I'd probably soak it. If I had plenty of hickory or pecan, I'd just cut the air down, smother the fire, and make good smoke for the requisite couple or three hours.

Back on topic:

I used chunks for smoke. I use natural lump charcoal because I can taste the difference compared to briquettes (even when not quick-start).

Since I use a kamado designed cooker, heat it retained a long time. If I run over 250 on start up, I'll soak the smoke chunks to bring down the temperature; otherwise I use dry right before putting the comestibles.

God deal on the ash tray. I looked around for quite awhile before I found it...but I knew SOMEONE had to make a cup holder type ash tray specifically for cigars....

I was looking for lump charcoal and found this stuff made by Kingsford...it's Lump briquettes ...all the ease of charcoal briquettes and the fun of lump charcoal:

https://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y539/Knifemaker1954/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshcm0pkc6.jpeg

(Again sorry for the photo issue)

They seemed to burn well. I have no problem here finding wood...but big bags of lump are a bit harder to come by...mostly because they sell out frequently...

Shoot, in the south, every small town has a WalMart. Kaufman TX fought it for a while but now they have the nicest newest one around.
biggrin.png

Up north it's different. In 2007 we lived in Cleveland and everyone went apeshit over getting a Super WalMart that was open 24 hours. I have to admit, it was kind of a big deal there. We were pretty surprised, right after moving there, when we went out at 10PM one night hoping to get some fast food and found them all closed. Ours stay open till the am's down here, so a 24 hour WalMart for us was nothing but was a big deal for them.
biggrin.png

Spent summers and a few Jr High years in my Grandparent's town where they rolled up the sidewalks at 8pm every day but Sunday. That day they rolled them up at 6pm.

2010 census showed it had under 5,000 people.

During WW2 it was an internment camp for "the most troublesome German prisoners of war – Nazi leaders, Gestapo agents, and extremists".

It's record high was 120F and record low was -16F.

The per capita income for the city is $17,966.

It's remote, 2.4 Sq/Mi area and that there's absolutely nothing to do, may be why it's the best and worst place for a kid to grow up.

They got a Wal-Mart and every shop around the town square shuttered their doors within 5 years. Multi-generational family businesses every one of them.

I still remember that their J.C. Penneys had those pneumatic tubes to send payments up out of sight only to hear the "pig" whooshing back to land with a thud and your change.

I still remember that their J.C. Penneys had those pneumatic tubes to send payments up out of sight only to hear the "pig" whooshing back to land with a thud and your change.
We had those at the AMC Theater I worked at for our remote box offices and the side concession stands. "Someone" found the limit. Turns out three tubes sent simultaneously with a little over $400 in quarters I think it was, would make it down out of the box office, across the plaza, but then couldn't make it up the riser tubes to go over the lobby. Let's just say there were some new rules in place about what could and couldn't be sent through the tubes once the repair guy got them out.
biggrin.png

I've burned a lot of Kingsford blue, and also used some Royal Oak lump, and I honestly can't tell a big difference in flavor. Maybe if I wasn't adding wood chunks for smoke, but that is usually the case. The lump charcoal does burn less consistently, so you end up fiddling with the air control a bit more. With the Kingsford you can pretty much set the air control and walk away.

I've also noticed that Kingsford is marketing some briquettes called "competition briquettes", and also some made with wood flavors: hickory, mesquite, apple wood, etc... Not sure what their regular mix consists of, but am tempted to try the flavor woods sometime. I've seen the hickory at Walmart, but not the others.

Yeah we have Walmarts in nearly every little bedroom community here in southern NH (commute distance to metro Boston). Further up country, they are fewer and further between, only located in the little "cities".

Seriously it's not that bad, there is a Wal-mart in Eureka MO...about 13 miles away. I just haven't looked there yet for charcoal. I picked up the charcoal at a local food chain...as the Wal-mart doesn't sell fresh seafood and their meat dept sucks, I only shop there for certain things.

I'm going to keep using the "Lump Briquettes" as long as I can find them. I have seen the wood flavor bags at the same store, almost bought the apple...but then saw they had applewood chips on sale for 2 bucks a bag, so got those instead....I plan to use mesquite and the applewood on the ribs...

Very nice. Congratulations! In my opinion, ribs are hard to get right. They're less forgiving than shoulders or briskets.

Turkey is another one that I think is hard to get right.

I like the St. Louis style cut of pork ribs, and the best I've ever smoked came from Denmark (they were only $2.19/lb on sale around the 4th of July a couple of years ago).

The meat is at the root of it all. If you don't have good meat, smoking it might help some, but the smoke would be better spent on good meat if you could get it.