Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never laid that much salt on the meat when I dry-brine. I'll have to try that on some less expensive beef some time.

What I do is just shake some kosher salt and course ground pepper mixed at about 3:1 from a large shaker that I have made for sprinkling my dry rubs, After leaving it overnight in the fridge (uncovered) there is never any salt left on the surface to wash off. The salt has all been absorbed into the meat, nothing to wash off.

I use that salt "pre-coat" even on good pieces of meat. Last night had a couple 6 oz. fillets, salted them (not as heavy as the video, but I do both sides and the edges) left on 20 minutes and rinsed off. Grilled them and they were awesome. My thinking is.... If it makes a bad cut of meat exceptable...it makes a good cut outstanding.

As far as the ribs go, I don't "see" any salt either, but I still rinse them off. Likely don't need to, but it seems the tap water, which is in fact warmer than the ribs that have been in the fridge, warm the surface a bit and make the oil I then coat them with before the rub goes on, stick better.

(And if I've been a bit heavy handed tossing the salt on certain spots, no worries about having too much salt...)

Most sites will say to salt as much as you would if eating the meat, and that you don't have to rinse it off....but, I just like to be different ;)

And really, from most of the stuff I've read online, you really don't need to dry brine ribs at all if you just put some salt in your rub...but I use my rub for other things..(like salmon)

That's the great thing about makng BBQ....everyone has their own style.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[Not Smokers]: Put a 1lb prime rib steak into the sous vide with some garlic herb butter at 5pm tonight. Should be ready to sear by the same time tomorrow.

How 'bout them low-and-slow apples?

A little follow-up on my prior post about charcoal types. I have a good sized crowd coming for lunch on Sunday, so I bought a couple of Pork Shoulder Picnics to pull. I decided that the way to cook them would be in the Ugly Drum, but to use straight Royal Oak lump charcoal this time (no briquettes) and with just a small number of Hickory Wood chunks in the top layer of the basket.

The shoulders were about 9 lb each, one about 9 1/2. I skinned and trimmed them of just the hard fat. Did not take the time to dry brine these, just hit them with a light rub that included salt and pepper, about 1 hour before cooking.

IMG_0906.jpg

One thing I noticed about using the lump charcoal in my Weber Chimney starter was, that stuff gets lit and going in a hurry!

Got the pit running and up to temp and I could already tell from the smell of the smoke that this was a good decision. None of the sour, sulphery smell that I have detected with the briquettes. Even in the early stages while the fire is still building new coals and heating fresh char, the smoke coming from the exhaust was much finer and lighter than what I got last week from just straight charcoal briquettes.

This was early on. The smoke thinned out and became even bluer as the cook went on.

IMG_0907.jpg

I found that I needed to run both intake vents wide open to get the pit up to temp initially, but after it was rolling well I was able to choke it down to just the one vent with the ball valve at varying degrees of openness same as I have in the past with briquettes. I ran the entire cook with a Maverick digital remote thermometer reporting the grille temp to me up in my office while I worked, and did make a lot of trips up and down the stairs to adjust the ball valve throughout the day, to keep the temps between 225 and 245F.

The lump charcoal does seem to be less temperature consistent, and fluctuates a bit more than the briquettes due to intake air allowed. I can see myself spending the money for some kind of a BBQ Guru to cut down on the intake adjusting.

The pork cooked beautifully, and took ~ 14 1/2 hours to reach 195F internal on the bigger of the two shoulders, and I still had a good amount of the original charcoal load left in the basket.

IMG_0909.jpg

More BBQ pR0n:

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

I tasted the finished product and, as anticipated, the harsh spicy smoke flavor that I initially attributed to "creosote" was gone. Just a nice clean smokey flavor. Still spicy in the outer pieces of bark, but not harsh, and none of that tingling on your lips and tongue that I am sensitive to.

All in all I am one happy camper smoker. I'll be using only lump charcoal from now on in both pits. The UDS is great for the really long smokes, and the OK Joe offset has more grille space and easier tending of the meat for shorter cooks. My friends and neighbors probably think I'm a lunatic with all the grilles set up outside.
wink.png

Fred,

Once I was convinced to go straight lump charcoal I haven't turned back. I am surprised at your fluctuating temperatures as mine is set up almost identical to yours (sans that sweet lid) and I have no issues at all with it holding a steady temperature all day long without intervention from me. In fact, the only thing I can think of might perhaps be the lid. How tight does it seal? Wondering if wind or something is getting by. I only have the flat lid mine came with but it also has the ring lock and that holds it very tight. Just curious to find the reason you had to adjust so much.

That pork looks damned good to me.

Lid seals very tight, no leaks. I have a woodstove gasket on the underside.

What would happen yesterday is that I would open the valve up, it seemed like the fire would get hotter over about a 20 minute period. When it got to about ~245 I'd go down and crank the ball valve closed a little, then the temps would start to drop for another 20 minutes or so. When it hit 225 I'd go back and try to open it a crack more, and start the cycle over. Towards the end my valve changes were smaller and the time between changes longer.

What would be nice would be a remote sense thermostatically controlled intake vent. I really don't need the blower, like they use in the BBQ Guru, et al, but I think that is just easier to control than a vent control.

When I was home brewing a lot I built a circuit to control the mash temperature with an electric hot water heater in a recirculating mash. The heat was pulse width modulated from off to full on based on the temperature of a remote temp sensor stuck into the mash tun. I bet I could use the same basic design to control a DC fan motor.

Or just pay a couple of bills for the BBQ Guru!

Hmm, sounds like maybe you are close to the ideal ball valve setting though. I think mine is rusted and stuck in the sweet spot for Texas brisket.
biggrin.png

Well again, most comments about using regular charcoal in a smoker say to get them started in a chiminey before putting them in your fire box. I think those briquettes that Kingsford sells with Apple wood (and other woods) is really targeted at those that are using a normal charcoal grill.

Even the "Lump Briquettes" that they claim as having the advantages "of both regular briquettes and lump charcoal" still have additives that initially give off bad smoke.

I'm smoking some ribs Sunday, and will again use those to get the smoker up to temp, but then I'll be using the lump and wood chucks for the actual smoking.

Yes, but many, many people are smoking their meats using the minion method and using charcoal briquettes w/ smoking flavor woods. I got the idea that this was perfectly fine to do based on how many times you see it being done by others, and how few times you hear people (like Bounce) say anything negative about it. It's just my (newly formed) opinion, but it seems to me there would be more of the experienced smokers poo-pooing that practice when they hear of someone doing it.

I agree that using the briquettes as fire starters, making sure that they are well ashed over before dumping them into the pile of lump charcoal, seems like a good way to use up the couple of bags of Kingsford Blue I have laying around now. Either that or mass lighting a pile in a hibachi type grille and cooking some dogs and burgers over it. ;)

My guess is that not everyone can taste it, or at least it doesn't bother them when they can. Anything that is as subjective as "taste", "smell", or "feel" is prone to have varying levels of sensitivity.

As a corollary, every stock 1st Gen FJR that I have ever ridden (and there have been several) have all demonstrated "lean surging" during steady cruise conditions. I am sensitive to it, and it bothers me, so I fixed mine by installing a PCIII. Many of the other owners did not even feel it so it was no big deal to them. But it was there.

There is no avoiding that thick and heavy, white smoke that comes from (at least the Kingsford brand) briquettes if you are using the Minion method. I think that the off flavor is unavoidable too, whether you can sense it or not.

I'll have to try some of the competition briquettes, or the other "natural" ones recommended in the second link sometime. All I'll need to do is burn a chimney full as I'm pretty sure that I can smell the off flavors in the smoke when its first burning. In the meantime I scored 3 bags of Royal Oak lump from Wally world, so I should be set for fuel for a good while.
wink.png

What's wrong with dumping the briquettes altogether and just using lump in your chimney?

Not a thing. That is what I did yesterday.

But I have a few bags of Kingsford Blue in my shed that I need to do something with. ;)

If the Competition Briquettes or one of the other "all natural" brands have better flavor then using them may be another option.

Then hot dogs it is.
biggrin.png

Or maybe some brats...yum.

Well, when I did my ribs I saw variations in temps from about 230 to 259...I had the alarm set at 260, but the higher temps (155-159) only lasted a short time. Average stayed between 234-240. I wouldn't be too concerned over fluctuations if they don't last long, and not climb to high..especially on a long cook like a brisqutte, or even six hours for ribs.

But I can see the advantage of a stoker...for real long cooks, cooking overnight, or just to let you go enjoy stuff while the meat is cooking. I may look into something like this later, but I know with the smoker I have now, I'd still have to stop by to add more fuel. :(

The best is when you start the fire, throw the meat on, seal it up and don't do crap all day except pull it off when it's done. Then you get to listen to folks say "Oh wow, this is so good, you did such a good job, I can't believe you spent X hours cooking this all day!"

biggrin.png