Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The turkey breast has been in the sous vide since 8.

The smoker was stabilized and the pork tenderloins went on about 15 minutes ago.

The turkey breast skin is in the oven baking up to be a crispy treat.

Based on how the pork smoke is going, I should be able to ramp up the smoke to grilling and put the sear on them around 10:30. I'll also put the sear on the turkey breasts.

Foil and pack to keep them hot then it's off to the oldest's for lunch.

Hopefully everyone likes the options. Others are bringing side dishes and deserts.

And...the finished product. Three are already wrapped and in the freezer...

1451071971_zpsak8enzid.jpg

Won't know how they taste till the family gets here, they are wrapped in foil and staying warm.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Last two ribs sitting there, I want them, but by belly is shouting ...NO!!!

1451087547_zps1bnksosu.jpg

Smoke ring this time almost hit the bone. They were just freaking awesome....and we got four racks left to eat later.

Merry Christmas y'all... :)

I forgot to take pics in the dash to pack and get to the holiday house.

The pork tenderloin is a go-to for me, so I already know it'll be enjoyed unless I mess it up.

The sous vide turkey was the hit. I over-salted the crispy skin so no one wanted any or the "turkey chips". I finished the turkey breasts on the smoker to add a sear like with the pork tenderloin.

The veggies were a bust. Too "rustic" for everyone's tastes. Such is what happens when you don't do a dry run before. Since everyone brought plenty, there was no one left wanting.

K/M - those ribs are beautiful. If I'm going to eat them with sauce, that is how I like it. The sauce is stuck to the rib, but not burnt on.

Bounce - as the saying goes, if at first you do not succeed, then try try again....

Anyone here have experience with either the Backwoods Smoker (https://www.backwoods-smoker.com) like the G2 Chubby or the Humphreys (https://www.humphreysbbq.squarespace.com) Battle Box? Looking to upgrade from my little bullet type smoker to something with more capacity and ease of use. Getting a strong smoke flavor is a top priority along with easy of use. My smoking today consists mostly of pork butts, chickens, salmon, and various versions of venison sausage but I plan to expand this list when I get a new smoker. Based on my research these are my two favorites and looking for any comparison/feedback between them from people that have used them. Right now the Humphreys is my top choice but I I don't have dealer near me (in Minnesota) to see the product before dropping down the serious money for a smoker in this league.

For Xmas I smoked 2 pork tenderloins and did a turkey breast in sous vide. It all turned out well. Even the people who normally don't like turkey scarfed on it until it was a memory. One of the tenderloins I saved and took to Mom's a few days later (her health doesn't allow travel). When I unwrapped it for re-heat, the smell of smoke was so strong on my hands that it took several washings to get it off. It was tasty as ever.

My experience has been that I like the smoked meats more the day after the cook. The day of the cook I'm so swamped with the smoke of cooking that it dulls the flavor of the meal's smoky goodness. The next day, it jumps right out to me like it did everyone else on the day of.

Speaking of leftovers, the Turkey Tetrazzini I made from leftover smoked turkey was really different. Usually a bland dish with a mushroom white sauce and parmasean, the smoked turkey really spiced up the smell and taste.

For Xmas I smoked 2 pork tenderloins and did a turkey breast in sous vide. It all turned out well. Even the people who normally don't like turkey scarfed on it until it was a memory. One of the tenderloins I saved and took to Mom's a few days later (her health doesn't allow travel). When I unwrapped it for re-heat, the smell of smoke was so strong on my hands that it took several washings to get it off. It was tasty as ever.
My experience has been that I like the smoked meats more the day after the cook. The day of the cook I'm so swamped with the smoke of cooking that it dulls the flavor of the meal's smoky goodness. The next day, it jumps right out to me like it did everyone else on the day of.
I've noticed the same things. If you really want to get your house smelling BBQ awesome, try finishing a smoked roast (shoulder in my case) in the kitchen oven. Even wrapped in foil the oven vents ensure that you'll get the whole house smelling like smoke. BTDT. I didn't mind it that much, but SWMBO was less impressed. ;)

And as for being better the day after, considering how much of our taste is olfactory, after being exposed to the smoke so much during the cooking, process our sense of smell has become seriously overloaded and less sensitive. But when someone else is doing the cooking I'm thinking that the first day actually tastes just as good as (or maybe better than) the second.

Looks like the file cabinets are all the rage now. Several YouTube vids of people making smokers out of them.

They do not look very tight. I bet you go through a lot of fuel and, at least this one doesn't seem to hold much fuel.

Getting anxious to fire up my pit soon. Got it out of the shed when we had a few warm days in March, but then it got crazy cold again. Last weekend we had a meal at Big Fatty's in White River Junction, VT. They do a real nice job with their brisket and pulled pork. We got some wings there that were deliciously smokin' hot, but they near killed me the next morning, if you catch my drift.
weirdsmiley.gif

There was a post on Facebook that got my interest in the file cabinet idea, in that one (no video available) it looked like he just put expanded metal in the upper drawers and basicly just FILLED the bottom drawer with wood. Don't think it even had a vent on top. The stuff being cooked did look good though... :)

Would guess the "leaks" were in lue of an upper vent. They likely wouldn't last long, but I've seen four drawer cabinets at scrap metal yards selling for just a few bucks.

I try to avoid "hot" dishes as much as I can, as yes the candle does burn at both ends.. ;)

Went out and scored a 24" x 24" x 3/4" piece of expanded metal from Home Despot and folded, spindled and mutilated up a charcoal basket. It was the one thing that I had not yet completed for the new OK Joe last fall. I'll give that a few cooks and then maybe try my hand at stick burning. The stick burner crowd claims the smoke flavor is far superior (less creosote) to those who burn even lump charcoal with wood chunks thrown in.

I have been relatively happy with the Que I have been able to turn out so far, but I'm definitely still in the neophyte category. I have detected some of that creosote flavor (tongue numbing) on some things, especially on the ribs done in the UDS over the direct smoke fire. But boy, you do have to be willing to spend all day playing with fire to run a wood fired smoker

I'll give that a few cooks and then maybe try my hand at stick burning. The stick burner crowd claims the smoke flavor is far superior (less creosote) to those who burn even lump charcoal with wood chunks thrown in.
Mmm, I've been told the exact opposite...that lump charcoal with wood chunks produces less creosote that just burning logs. Some info here on that:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110946/creosote-proper-smoke-flavor

A lot might depend on the wood you're using, and how dry it is, but thick white smoke is what to avoid...and I've seen my smoke go heavier right after I add more wood... They seem to suggest partially burning the wood first, then adding it to your FB.

I've got a friend who burns sticks only, and will proudly show you the pretty much clear smoke coming out of his smoker. Food that comes off of it is darn good too.

Yeah, exactly.

Avoiding the heavy smoke, but also keep the smoke and heat moving through the pit at a good clip. When we choke down on the fire (like in an air tight pit like an Ugly Drum) added wood will not burn cleanly and the creosote can form.

A clip I was watching the guy adds wood in small amounts and gets it burning pretty quickly with the side door open, then closes it down after most of the moisture is driven off. He also seemed to cook at a fairly high temp, not shooting for 225 exactly.

Lots of ways to skin this cat, it seems.

edit - I just read through the link you gave us and that sounds like what I saw earlier. Especially the "Stickburning 101"

Now... what to put on the pit this weekend?

I've got a friend who burns sticks only, and will proudly show you the pretty much clear smoke coming out of his smoker. Food that comes off of it is darn good too.

I bet it is good. From what I've read, the "creosote" issue only seems to crop up on folks that aren't managing their fires properly. If you are doing it right, you won't have a problem with getting a "creosote taste" on your food.

The key seems to be maintaining a HOT and well ventilated fire.