Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I've never considered cooking that low so the info fills in knowledge gaps but isn't something I've felt driven to try. As it is, I can have a large pork butt take up to 18 hours to finish so there's no real motivation to take even longer.

Pork loins are always great. One of these days I'm going to try the way my pit builder said he's done loins...

You take a sharp knife and cut the loin lengthwise into three pieces, being very careful to stop the cuts about 1 inch from one end, so they are still attached at one end. Next use your rub or seasoning and coat the three "fingers". Then carefully braid them and use a wooden skewer to keep it from unraveling...cut the skewer so only a little sticks out of both sides.

Then, wrap the whole thing in bacon. You can weave a mat of bacon or just wrap with individual strips and secure with toothpicks.

Smoke as usual, just remember to remove the tooth picks and skewer before slicing.

Well, due to one of my wife's friends passing...I'm moving the rib cook to today. Dry brine ribs in fridge, Meatheads rub made, everything in place* will be firing up the coals within the hour....

*And of course the other important cooking accessories...giant Margarita , comfy chair, and a cigar ...

IMG_2405.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've hot smoked salmon before. It's very good. Trout would be awesome.

The only problem with cutting open the boneless loin and stuffing it is that you'll want to cook it to a little higher internal temp, like you do with ground meats, since you've moved the bacteria from the outside into the middle of the meat. It's the same reason why I never poke a thermo probe into the cold meat. Wait until the outside is already pasteurized before jabbing the probe in. Being careful that way I feel comfortable pulling the loin off at 140F and letting it rest wrapped up for at least a half hour to continuation cook. It usually finishes at 145 after the rest and is juicier than anything.

I kinda thought the same thing Fred. Was wondering how well brining does at killing bacteria. When he said "then season it" not sure if that included salt. Guess you could rinse the meat with Everclear... ;)

Granted you're talking to a guy that's eaten raw hamburger since I was a kid and I'm not dead yet...

I do want to give a shout out to my neighbor Joe. He came by and gave me about 200 pounds of seasoned oak, 1/4 of which are splits about 9 inches long perfect for the smoker. Using that along with some Hickory and Cherrywood for the cook.

He'll be getting one of the finished slabs... :)

Ribs came out great. They seemed a bit "fatty" compared to the others I did before. These I bought at Walmart...they were Smithfield, but for some reason the package said "extra meaty"...whitch I haven't seen before on Smithfield ribs. Perhaps just a Walmart exclusive thing, but I wouldn't suggest buying any with that extra label content, as they were not "extra meaty" compared to ones from the same company that didn't have that on the label.

They still were really good, just not as "meaty" as advertised.

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

Those look great. In fact, they look fantastic.

I like to get baby backs from Costco - they have the silverskin removed. I personally don't worry about the meat:fat ratio -it just adds texture and flavor, I don't think there's any bad "well cooked" meat...

Thanks. I could tell they weren't as "meaty" as the ones I usually buy because we normally finish off just one slab between us. This time we had to cut up a second rack. :)

And just to be different... I didn't sauce them, but just put the sauce on the side.

Total cooktime was 4 hours, first half around 225F and second half 235F, and was burning wood through the whole cook. At 3 hours I sprayed them with apple juice.

Very tasty for sure, and we still have leftovers and three slabs for the future in the freezer.

Going to do another pork butt next time.....

6-ish lb. Pork Loin, dry brined over night (w/ 1/2 tsp / lb kosher salt) then canola oiled and dry rubbed with Memphis Dust.

Smoked for about 2 1/2 hours at 210-225 with propane heat source and apple wood chunks in a new cast iron fry pan. Picked up the 10" pan at Walmart for $7 to replace an old stainless steel pan that was getting heat damaged. The cast iron one worked much better.

Cooked the roast fat side down and then flipped it once at about 1/2 way through. Cooked it to 143F internal because it still felt a bit too squishy at 140. Rested it for an hour wrapped in foil and two large towels since the roast was finished early for dinner (on purpose). It came out extremely tender and juicy. Did not need any sauce for it but served it with applesauce on the side.

The Moms really seemed to enjoy it. Success!

IMG_1229.jpg

Yes there were, and I managed to keep the spousal unit from giving them away this time. Pork loin sammiches are the bomb diggety!
punk.gif

Well here's the guest for Sunday:

IMG_2430.jpg

Not a bad price eh? The plan is to smoke it in the pit for 3-4 hours using the lump briquettes and apple wood @225F... Then I'm going to put it on a rack in a baking pan, cover it with a tent of foil and finish it in the oven. Likely starting at around 275F using the convection setting.

More photos to come...

I dunno... I'm partial to the pork butts that are smoked for 12 hours. I don't think you'll ever get enough smoke flavor or dark black bark in just 3 or 4 (or even 5) hours on the smoker. I like them best when they come off the pit looking like an asteroid that just landed. Black as coal and smokin' hot! ;)

But I guess you have to 'speriment to see what you like

Yeah, am kinda going to play it by ear as for how long I smoke it. I was pretty happy with the brisket.(other than the salty thing) You can see how dark my ribs came out after 4 hours. I just don't have the time this weekend to do it that way.

I didn't post about it, but I did do a pork butt in a slow cooker a while back. Used red wine and liquid smoke, and did use a rub with a good deal of my smoked paprika...came out looking weird but tasted pretty good.

I still might switch the pit over to the propane burner and finish it there.....

I do the 3/2/1 on ribs. 3 in the smoke, 2 in the foil, 1 out of foil to firm them up from the steam.

EXCEPT it's more like 3/1/1 or 3/1/? because following it as a religion resulted in me getting overdone ribs.

I do the 3/2/1 on ribs. 3 in the smoke, 2 in the foil, 1 out of foil to firm them up from the steam.
EXCEPT it's more like 3/1/1 or 3/1/? because following it as a religion resulted in me getting overdone ribs.
Yep.did that once and they were kinda mushy. I stopped foiling them completely now during the cook. (Baby backs do cook quicker than St.Louis ribs). As I've switched over to Baby Backs, I only foil them when they are done,then freeze them. So reheating them does the same thing kinda. My wife says they are better reheated...

Yeah. I don't to bb ribs. I do big country cuts on pork or beef.

I won't eat ribs when eating out. Not enough power-to-weight ratio.

Latest posts