Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KM's boneless chicken thighs stuffed with either pepper or onion. Wrapped in bacon with some Baby rays slathered on top. He has gotten me addicted to these things. They are so good.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they are.. :) ..planning on doing some this Saturday for our Pre-Fathers day BBQ, along with some brats....

May also try those pork sausage sliders (pork sausage patties coated with rib rub.. smoked and served on slider buns)

You cook up them ribs yet Fred?

Yes I did. The ribs were great, as usual. May have over cooked them a little this time as the meat was falling off the bones. I did not cruch these but cooked them about 6 hours. They did not feel overcooked by the bend test, but these racks were smaller in length (number of bones) than I usually get Sorry, no pitchers this time. Guess it didn't happen! ;)

I did use my UDS (Ultimate Drum Smoker), diffuser plate over the fire, rack up on the very top of the barrel, and tried using the TTT. Started the pit up per normal procedure with a mix of Stubbs' briquettes and Royal Oak lump in the basket. About a 1/2 chimney full of lump fired up quick and dropped on the top/center. Let the pit come up to temp with both the ball valve and 2nd 3/4" nipple port both fully open and without the TTT in place.

Dropped TTT in place when it was up to ~ 210F and the temp stopped climbing even with the knob set so the flap was wide open. So the TTT is somewhat restrictive to the exhaust even when wide open. Ran it that way for a couple of hours and then I decided to remove the ball valve from the 2nd port's nipple for more input air. Got busy with the FJR wrenching and when I checked on the temp it was up around 245. Throttled it back with the TTT, but because we were too busy for me to pay enough attention to it, I didn't really get to figure out what the optimum settings would be for 235F or how well it would regulate.

Oh well, I'll just have to try it again!

I think I need to let the pit come up to full temp before I put the TTT on next time. Then I should be able to cut back on the intake air to just the 1 port open and the ball valve partly open, and adjust the TTT for partly closed. More experimentation needed.

I think I need to do some more playing with various inlet openings to get it to regulate well.

I usually pull the baby backs at the 4-1/2 hour mark....(cooking at 225-235) as I like a little firmness to the rib, although I've had them come out falling off the bone .....which I don't mind a long as the meat isn't "mushy". I don't crutch much mine either..(unless I'm cooking them on the grill)

Altering your usual settings to dial in the TTT will likely take a few cooks, but sounds like you are in the ballpark.

You didn't mention what wood you used. So far I'm pretty happy with the taste profile using a mix of apple and hickory. I used some of my "free" oak last time, didn't really notice a difference, so guessing the oak is a lot more mild than the other two.

I have skipped this thread for its whole 3-1/2 year life because I use a basic Weber gas barbecue and just do basic grilling, and as grills go, it does a fine job. But now I've got to plow through this whole 79 pages and 1,564 posts, mining for useful nuggets, because my wife and kids just surprised me with a pretty nice looking propane smoker for my birthday--something I didn't even realize I wanted until I saw it.

She also gave me a book on the techniques and culture of smoking meat--it's the pictures in the book that helped with the realization, above. I haven't even hooked up the propane, but looking forward to having a lot of fun figuring it out. I might be back with questions!

close_tema.gif
Oh yeah. You'll have questions.
It's a great hobby and you get to eat the delicious results!
Some consider it a sport.
party.gif
Who can be king of the Q.

I just like to eat the results,

Dave

Welcome to the wonderful world of true Barbecue.

Yesterday's eye candy:

IMG_2484.jpg

Brats.... Smoked two hours then finished on the grill to caramelize the sugars in the sauce.

Temp here (not inside the smoker) will hover between 106o and 108o for the next week, so I'm not too motivated to do much of anything outside right now. I did finish the assembly this morning while it was still in the double digits, but inside with the AC pumping is better for now. But Fred's right--I have my first question already, after reading this thread for a while (think I'm on page 11) and the book I mentioned. I also realized this morning that the fact that this smoker is called "dual fuel" means I can do both propane and charcoal, so that's more experimenting to do.

But the first question is this: since I can apparently smoke or cook enough food for a platoon of infantry in this thing: what if I don't have a platoon handy that I need to feed? IOW, how long will smoked food--or various types of smoked meat, I guess, keep? Can I freeze it after I smoke it? Does the smoking process help preserve it somehow? Really basic questions, I know, but I'm a kind of basic guy.

KM, how would those brats keep in a package on a UPS or mail truck, if you happened to send some to Cali?

I freeze smoked stuff all the time. Still have one package of pulled pork left, and two racks of baby backs in the freezer.

They'll keep for several months, maybe more....just never waited that long to eat them. Wife says the ribs are better after they are frozen.

You can ship meat across the country.. you have to pack them in dry ice and get a special tag put on them. Sadly, all the brats are gone now.

You don't have to fill your cooker up, even if it's large enough to hold a butt load of meat. I could easily get 6 briskets in mine, yet I only cooked 7 brats in there yesterday.

Smoking by itself doesn't really preserve meat. Curing does. But many cured meats are smoked.

Need to see a photo of your new smoker mike....

Realize it might have been better if I did a full smoke, but I really liked how it came out and tasted.
Honestly I think my best pulled pork comes when I don't do a full smoke. 3-4 hours on the smoker. Then wrap in foil and put in a 225 oven till done.

Nice and tender but still has a good bark and smoke flavor.

But the first question is this: since I can apparently smoke or cook enough food for a platoon of infantry in this thing: what if I don't have a platoon handy that I need to feed? IOW, how long will smoked food--or various types of smoked meat, I guess, keep? Can I freeze it after I smoke it? Does the smoking process help preserve it somehow? Really basic questions, I know, but I'm a kind of basic guy.
I don't always have a big crowd on the same weekend I feel like smoking. And for me if I am going to take the time to cook long and slow I am going to fill the BBQ full. I have a small weber but I can put on a couple of boston butts. Why cook one when in the same amount of time and fuel you can do two?

One thing I do have however is a vacuum sealer. The thing is great. I do a couple of boston butts even if it's going to be only me and my wife around that weekend. We pull it all. Eat what we want and vacuum seal the rest.

Having small bags of pulled pork in the freezer is great. In my opinion it loses very little.

My biggest problem is my wife brags on it and likes to give it away
upset.gif

Our 2nd to last slab of ribs from the freezer. Seriously I think my wife is right...they do taste better (seem more tender) than right off the smoker. Looks like I'll be doing another batch before Labor Day.

IMG_2533.jpg

Six racks!!! You must be having a big crew over tomorrow. Or else stocking up the freezer for the cooler months ahead?

I should go to the market and put something on tomorrow too. Just did a couple of whole chickens on the gas grille rotisserie with some hickory wood chips in a cast iron smoke box last night. Quick, easy and delicious.

No..just us two tomorrow. Stocking up the freezer. Will be doing up a butt load of brats on October 14th for our annual Oktoberfest here.

May try doing another brisket before then.... :)

I did 3 racks of ribs yesterday. I overcooked them since I was next store at another party yesterday. I put them on and let them go until the fire went out. The bark was thick and the meet wanted to fall off the bone. My son had some today and they disappeared rather quickly. I was just thinking out loudly about what to have for breakfast tomorrow. The son shouted out from the next room. "RIBS"

Dave

I did a tri tip today with a dry rub on it. 6 hours at 225 and paired with a fine Paso Robles Zinfandel it was devine! Tender, juicy and a nice smoke ring.....

Amazing what a cheap Brinkman smoker will produce....

Biknflyfisher

Latest posts