Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh, stainless ain't cheap. Fortunate for me they throw a lot of it away were I work. Along with cobalt chrome and titanium. Needless to say the scrap guy is getting filthy rich is my summation.

Dave

I would guess aluminum would be cheaper and easier to drill. I know Lowes carries various metal rod, not to sure about that square stock. I'm pretty happy with the one I made using threaded rod, although cleaning it would be easier if it was smooth rather than threaded. A wire wheel in my electric drill works well when it gets nasty though. ;)

As most here have diffent smokers, you should make one that fits your particular pit. I'll add that I use some stainless steel skewers through the ends of the slabs to make sure I don't lose a rack tossing it in or pulling it out of my smoker. (If you look closely at my photo in post 1584 you can see the ringed ends that I slip over the corner posts)

I've heard of just rolling your slabs and using skewers to hold them in a circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked into some stainless from online sources... It isn't cheap!! Raw materials for one rack would be almost $40!!!
uhoh.gif
I am going to go to the place where I get my mild steel from and see if they have stainless scrap at a cheaper price. Another alternative may be to look into aluminum. Until then, I am going to stick with the mild steel and make sure to dry it well after washing and apply a thin coat of oil.
Mobile 1?

I just looked into some stainless from online sources... It isn't cheap!! Raw materials for one rack would be almost $40!!!
uhoh.gif
I am going to go to the place where I get my mild steel from and see if they have stainless scrap at a cheaper price. Another alternative may be to look into aluminum. Until then, I am going to stick with the mild steel and make sure to dry it well after washing and apply a thin coat of oil.
Mobile 1?
Feel free to put what ever type of oil you want on yours. I am using canola oil on mine.

I've got some pork on the top rack and homemade baked beans below that. The sky is a deep blue, the temperature is warm, I have a cocktail and I'm hanging out with my dog in the garage as the aroma from the smoker occasionally wafts through here. I'm not sure it gets much better.

Edit...and I'm watching the MotoGP race.

You BBQ in your front yard? :weirdsmiley:
The smoker sits in the driveway just outside the garage. I removed the deck off the back of the house early this year because it was in pretty bad shape. The new deck, hot tub, pergola will be built in the spring, so yea...I guess you could say that I BBQ in my front yard for now. I make no apologies for it either.

Mine are covered outside in the back yard in the summer months. I put them away into the shed when I pull the snowblower out. ;)

Mines on the other side of my driveway in the front of the house, across from the garage. Just most convenient place for it...

IMG_2455.jpg

The driveway goes down at an angle to the house, so there's a hill behind the pit going up to the road. The door into the house goes directly into the kitchen, so it's just three steps down the porch and only about 20 feet to the smoker. I can keep all the needed fuel, wood and stuff in the garage.

IMG_1998.jpg

So, it's not a traditional type house with a front yard, a sidewalk and the street. Not everyone lives in suburbia..... ;)

Looks like a nice place there, KM.. What's with all the blue buckets? :)
That photo was taken last year in October, right after I built that pergola between the house and garage. Wife had a 4X9 foot garden box under it. She picked up the buckets at the dollar store (for a dollar each of course) and used them to move the stuff she had growing there (strawberries, peppers, asparagus, tomatos) so we could remove the garden and build a rock patio under there instead.
IMG_2611.jpg

Currently we plan to put a table and chairs there, she's making the chair cushions as I type this. :)

Mine are covered outside in the back yard in the summer months. I put them away into the shed when I pull the snowblower out. ;)
You know that you can do Q year round...
Not up here, you can't. I lived in Hampton, VA for a number of years. Your winters are nothing like it is in Northern New England.
I'm wishing for a mild, Chesapeake type winter this year. Climate change, and all that... ;)

Nice looking digs there KM. Waterfront is awesome. I'm also a big fan of metal roofs. My next house will have one for sure. Why anyone would want a 20 year asphalt roof is the question.

Latest posts