Smuggler Alternative (TailGunner)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn! I wanted to post this before the pictures showed up. Dude! You didn't answer my text. So, I thought you were sleeping or something! :p

Kudos to our Resident Reverend Doctor, Sir Howie of the Radio!! :yahoo:

Ok so, I spent several hours with him and he showed me everything. The box that he has being made now that he said was a lot more "User Friendly" is the New Box.

All that means is that it has a Flat bottom as opposed to the Original Box with the recesses that the Base Plate fits in. That Orig. one is for our OEM Tail. If you want to mount it on the OEM Top Box Plate, (Like I do)That would be the New one. It's Flap and you can sit it on anything flat.

These boxes are made of thick walled plastic that will last forever. Double walled on the bottom piece. The hinge is very well made. It's stainless and has Reinforcing plates on both ends. He says it's absolutely Waterproof.

He looked at the Rear Seat pocket to see if it will work. It Will but, he'd have to make the Mount high enough to clear everything when you open it. I think It'll work well. He said that for the people who want to mount it on top of the rear seat, a creative Velcro strap will do the trick until a mount is made.

I thought it might stick out too far on the OEM Top box plate but, I was wrong. It'll work just fine. He might have to trim a little bit of the forward part of the Universal plate due to the Rear of the Hand hold piece on our bikes. He wanted me to take my Top box Plate off but, told him the heads are stripped and it would be a nightmare at his shop.

And YES!! that's a 1.5gal fuel pack tank for you Mile Monsters out there who might think that's a neat idea.

Falko, the Front of the box is 14" wide and the rear of the box is 10" wide. All other measurements are the same as the website says. I took a lot of different views so all of you guys can see it on the bike. I had a blast doing this.

Oh, I did ask him about any possible Group Buy situation and he said his pofit margin is pretty thin but, He'll do 10% off on a minimum order of 5. 15% off on a minimum order of 10. He also said that if you want the new flat bottom box, there is no Inner or Outer Plate needed so, $75 off the price of the Original!

Now you can begin the questions. I have a Tall Rum and Coke poured and I'm at your service! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
He said "peons"!!!
Yo RadioHowie, majicmaker pulled the same shit on me during his black "thermos" thread; Vic sends me an email with 6 pics in it and tells me I need to post them up since I'm retired and he is so damn busy, them like a putz schlemiel I do it for the lazy ass!
5? FIVE???

Try 34 sometime! The lazy fecker!!!

Oh, Vic...if you're looking...here's how to post pictures:.

CLICK ME!
Thanks! I'll give it a try. And I'm Not Lazy, Just conserving my energy! :D

I am in for $75 bucks off the original. I will put it on my GS.
That sounds good to me too. I wanna put mine on top of the OEM Top Box Plate. It'll be perfect! No more soft tail bags for me! :D

But...... At least take a look at the original first. This guy owns a GS and he made a snap on plate for it that'll impress the hell out of you! JSNS! :rolleyes:

He looked at the Rear Seat pocket to see if it will work. It Will but, he'd have to make the Mount high enough to clear everything when you open it. I think It'll work well. He said that for the people who want to mount it on top of the rear seat, a creative Velcro strap will do the trick until a mount is made.

Oh, I did ask him about any possible Group Buy situation and he said his pofit magin is pretty thin but, He'll do 10% off on an minimum order of 5. 15% off on a minimum order of 10. He also said that if you want the new flat bottom box, there is no Inner or Outer Plate needed so, $75 off the price of the Original!
On top of the seat with Velcro doesn't sound much better than my current tailbag :p

The original (black) was $199 as I recall, so around $110 for the box that bolts to our stock luggage rack?

I think most of his mounting plates were around $100, I assume the soon to be available rear seat mount will be in that range as well? Any ETA on the seat mount availability?

BTW, Thanks for taking the time to investigate and have all the pics posted ;)

Really glad to see this working out. And just think if I had not bought that GS you fools would never have found out about this. Bow at my feet peons.
Johnny! You can't see me right now but. I am Bowing!!! Thanks Man!! :clapping:
Oh for Petey's sake, there must be a Honeymoon Suite reserved somewhere with a heart shaped hot tub and mints with roses on the satin pillows for you two Lovebirds! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

stock-photo-two-gay-men-after-wedding-on-a-beach-kissing-34879168.jpg

That sounds good to me too. I wanna put mine on top of the OEM Top Box Plate. It'll be perfect! No more soft tail bags for me! :D

But...... At least take a look at the original first. This guy owns a GS and he made a snap on plate for it that'll impress the hell out of you! JSNS! :rolleyes:
I have a plate on its way from Germany. I will bolt it to that.

Oh, I did ask him about any possible Group Buy situation and he said his pofit magin is pretty thin but, He'll do 10% off on an minimum order of 5. 15% off on a minimum order of 10. He also said that if you want the new flat bottom box, there is no Inner or Outer Plate needed so, $75 off the price of the Original!
On top of the seat with Velcro doesn't sound much better than my current tailbag :p

The original (black) was $199 as I recall, so around $110 for the box that bolts to our stock luggage rack?

I think most of his mounting plates were around $100, I assume the soon to be available rear seat mount will be in that range as well? Any ETA on the seat mount availability?

BTW, Thanks for taking the time to investigate and have all the pics posted ;)
No problem Chuck. Don't know about the cost of the seat mount. It's not as easy as it looks. I'll pay him another visit and get some details on that. The temporary Velcro thing is doable. But, I think I'll wait until he makes one. He did mention that one of us could try and make one. Garauld popped in my head. :rolleyes:

I have a plate on its way from Germany. I will bolt it to that.
Cool.

Really glad to see this working out. And just think if I had not bought that GS you fools would never have found out about this. Bow at my feet peons.
Johnny! You can't see me right now but. I am Bowing!!! Thanks Man!! :clapping:
Oh for Petey's sake, there must be a Honeymoon Suite reserved somewhere with a heart shaped hot tub and mints with roses on the satin pillows for you two Lovebirds! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

stock-photo-two-gay-men-after-wedding-on-a-beach-kissing-34879168.jpg
Damn Don, your brain seems to go to very strange places. There're people that can help you with that. :) JSNS :p

Is this for an oem top box mount, or whatever you call the rack area the bike shipped with?
The new box with the flat bottom is for the black mount that's made for the OEM top truck or any other flap surface. If you don't have one then you'd need the original box that comes with the base plate to fit onto the tail rack that comes with the bike on top of the tail lights. The new flat one costs $75 less because it doesn't require the inner plate or the base plate.

So, I have no top box mount plate. The seat plate isn't available yet.....

Phooey
Get the original box for the rack. That way, you'll enjoy it until the seat mount is ready. That's what I'm going to do. The seat mount is going to take some design time. Or....... Buy a top box plate. :p

I'm a glass half full type of guy. :)