Smuggler Alternative (TailGunner)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny, there have been 1340 views on this thread so far and lately its been only the three of us talking about it. What's say you start a poll and see what the real interest is around here for something like that. If there's very little interest the guy isn't going to invest his time and money to make something that isn't going to make him any money. I saw the look on his face when we talked about this very thing. He went to a flat bottom box to expand his product. This guy's a business man above all else. You wanna take the reigns on this? Be my guest. You know where to contact him. :)
I have a smuggler so I don't have a horse in this race. Just trying to help you out.

Gotta go get some stuff done today. I'll be back! :)

Johnny, there have been 1340 views on this thread so far and lately its been only the three of us talking about it. What's say you start a poll and see what the real interest is around here for something like that. If there's very little interest the guy isn't going to invest his time and money to make something that isn't going to make him any money. I saw the look on his face when we talked about this very thing. He went to a flat bottom box to expand his product. This guy's a business man above all else. You wanna take the reigns on this? Be my guest. You know where to contact him. :)
I have a smuggler so I don't have a horse in this race. Just trying to help you out.
Understoood Johnny. :)

make something up. This thread is all over the place and needs to become more focused if your really want to get this going. I think this could be a good seller at $400. My two cents.

$400! When you can buy a "real" 30 liter case from Givi for $109 (including the mounting system)? Florida must be growing better Mota than I knew about, please ship me three ounces! https://www.amazon.com/Givi-Monolock-E300-Tour-Case/dp/B002ZU76GE
Don it's about having storage on the back seat not in place of the top box. I use both top box and smuggler. The smuggler is where I stash gloves, tire pressure gauge, rags, GPS, earphones, snaks and water while the top is where I put gear or camping equipment. It's nice to have a place to store those little things and not have to have them rolling around a top case or side case. You can also leave all the cases at home and just run the smuggler. More versatile storage.

make something up. This thread is all over the place and needs to become more focused if your really want to get this going. I think this could be a good seller at $400. My two cents.

$400! When you can buy a "real" 30 liter case from Givi for $109 (including the mounting system)? Florida must be growing better Mota than I knew about, please ship me three ounces! https://www.amazon.com/Givi-Monolock-E300-Tour-Case/dp/B002ZU76GE
Don it's about having storage on the back seat not in place of the top box. I use both top box and smuggler. The smuggler is where I stash gloves, tire pressure gauge, rags, GPS, earphones, snaks and water while the top is where I put gear or camping equipment. It's nice to have a place to store those little things and not have to have them rolling around a top case or side case. You can also leave all the cases at home and just run the smuggler. More versatile storage.
BINGO! johnny80s gets it, even though majicmaker does not! This is exactly what Papa Chuy wants and why I responded to this thread: "It's about having storage on the back seat not in place of the top box." If you're asking us here on our fine FJR Forum to commit $400 to a vendor, you need to stick with what you advertised: A Smuggler Alternative, not just another version of a top box! If you go back to the Items Wanted section of our Forum you will see that 4 years ago I was advertising for a used Corbin Smuggler for less than half price to fit a GenI and I would pay the shipping: But none ever popped up for me to buy.

"I use both top box and smuggler." johnny80s perfectly described what would be the ultimate accessory for our FJR's and I'll stand up to the tune of $400 for one. I'm going to repeat this one more time for majicmaker, not for a damn top box!

"Ok Boys and Girls, I need an approximate number of people who might want one to negotiate a Group Buy. Chime in Please!" I'm still ready to commit $400, if we actually wind up with a true Smuggler that fits into the FJR rear seat pocket!

PLEASE NOTE: I just discovered that Corbin has dropped their price by $200 from when I first contacted them five years ago with an interest and intent to purchase a Smuggler!

#Y-FJR-13-SMUG Smuggler trunk, Yamaha FJR 1300, painted $799

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it right there. Lets see how close to 400 bucks we can get. Remember this is not a negotiated price it is our target. Half the price of a smuggler. Vic find out how many we would have to buy to make it worth his while. If we have a target that might help us hit it. This is really rolling now.

umm thats gonna look like shit in place of a rear seat.......

R
It will look just fine. Their are pictures of them on the website for other bikes (GS1200). The Smuggler does look better and looks like it was made for the bike. However most people are not as pickey as you and don't have your resources. ;)

I sent him an email this morning and I'm waiting for an answer. I'll hit him with the minimum needed to get to a targeted price. Don! Take a Valium with a Single Malt Whiskey Chaser. None of this is worth all that Bro. I can see the veins in your forehead from here! You're going to give yourself a heart attack! Chill Baby! :)

Where did $400 come from anyway?

The basic box was going to be around $120 with discount and no mount, so another $280 for a mount that clips in where the rear seat goes?

The basic box was going to be around $120 with discount and no mount, so another $280 for a mount that clips in where the rear seat goes?
That was the number Johnny threw out there. Ask him. ;)
Naturally being Irish the cheaper the better is great, allows me more disposable income for my other motorcycling activities and farkles. However, $400 for the box below including a mount that clips in where the rear seat goes is absolutely not a deal breaker for me! If it is a clean installation and half the price of a Corbin Smuggler, I think we have a sellable product. Looking at the photo below tells me the only fly in the ointment is going to be just how low can he mount the box and get the lock to still function, we certainly don't want to have an unsightly gap between seat pocket and box!

06-CheckingtheHeightneededfortheRearSeatMount2.jpg

That was the number Johnny threw out there. Ask him. ;)
Naturally being Irish the cheaper the better is great, allows me more disposable income for my other motorcycling activities and farkles. However, $400 for the box below including a mount that clips in where the rear seat goes is absolutely not a deal breaker for me! If it is a clean installation and half the price of a Corbin Smuggler, I think we have a sellable product. Looking at the photo below tells me the only fly in the ointment is going to be just how low can he mount the box and get the lock to still function, we certainly don't want to have an unsightly gap between seat pocket and box!

06-CheckingtheHeightneededfortheRearSeatMount2.jpg
We'll have to wait and see what the actual number will be. At this point this is all speculative now. Let's not focus on that number and make that yet another thing to pop a cork over :)

The height has to be just right to be able to lift the lid and clear the front end of the grab bar. If we can pull this off it'll be as high as it needs to be. ;)

We'll have to wait and see what the actual number will be. At this point this is all speculative now. Let's not focus on that number and make that yet another thing to pop a cork over :)

The height has to be just right to be able to lift the lid and clear the front end of the grab bar. If we can pull this off it'll be as high as it needs to be. ;)

Looking at the pic, there are 2 possible heights needed. With and without top box mount.

Looking at the pic, there are 2 possible heights needed. With and without top box mount.
That's True. But, The one with the top box mounted should be the one to go with. That'll cover both situations.

Chuck I thought you wanted a smuggler? Did I misunderstand?
No, You got it right. Just like the topic says, I'm interested in a Smuggler Alternative.

I just don't understand how this got up to $400.
I took the price for the tail gunner for the GS and added a hundred bucks since it would be more complicated than a flat plate that the GS needs. Just a guess. Could be more could be less.