So what's the best battery?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info on the location. I have the Penske, so hopefully, it will be easier to access. And to confirm, "jack", is at roadster.com?

Well Jacks harness is installed and the Voltage Regulator. PITA to get out the Voltage Regulator, unhandy space. All I have to say I am very happy to see this at Idle. I used my "old" OEM battery that I have kept well on the charger and removed the MotoBat. Just had to have a Motobat and not sure of it's worth or goodness. Will charge it and see. I cut all battery connections and put new rings on everything. Tinned and then soldered the new rings on with shrink wrap. Also spliced the new Stator plug on as I did not like the looks of mine. While not a hard task it is not the funnest thing I have done.

Canyon Cage today.

jacks%20volts.jpg

Well, finally had a chance to install Jack's bypass harness over the weekend, and I also installed the mofset R/R, just in case. The mofset R/R is about half the cost of the OEM diode R/R. Did try the mofset R/R prior to the harness install, with no change in what I was seeing at the battery. Well, now I have a spare.

I will say that Jack has great service and a great product. Sent him an email on a sunday and he replied that day. He had the harness in the mail that tuesday. Great workmanship, comparable to Brodie. And he even refunded me $5 as he could fit both the harness and the R/R into one box.

The 6 foot harness was more than enough to run up to the battery. I cleared out all the wires I had going to the battery and put them on barrier strips.

Rode in to work today and I think I can declare it a success. Was seeing 13.7v immediately at an idle in the garage. Before it was at about 13.1v or less. Once I hit the highway, the voltage steadily increased to 14.0v, and was 13.8v at an idle. I was never above 13.5v previously. Its only a 32 mile commute, so I'll be watching the volts on the way home with the motolights on.

I also join the YANBPC with mdisher, with Brodie's two bypasses and Jack's. Hope to hell I won't need any more.

Thanks for this thread - wealth of info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, finally had a chance to install Jack's bypass harness over the weekend, and I also installed the mofset R/R, just in case. The mofset R/R is about half the cost of the OEM diode R/R. Did try the mofset R/R prior to the harness install, with no change in what I was seeing at the battery. Well, now I have a spare.
I will say that Jack has great service and a great product. Sent him an email on a sunday and he replied that day. He had the harness in the mail that tuesday. Great workmanship, comparable to Brodie. And he even refunded me $5 as he could fit both the harness and the R/R into one box.

The 6 foot harness was more than enough to run up to the battery. I cleared out all the wires I had going to the battery and put them on barrier strips.

Rode in to work today and I think I can declare it a success. Was seeing 13.7v immediately at an idle in the garage. Before it was at about 13.1v or less. Once I hit the highway, the voltage steadily increased to 14.0v, and was 13.8v at an idle. I was never above 13.5v previously. Its only a 32 mile commute, so I'll be watching the volts on the way home with the motolights on.

I also join the YANBPC with mdisher, with Brodie's two bypasses and Jack's. Hope to hell I won't need any more.

Thanks for this thread - wealth of info.
Good to hear.

Just to be pedantic, it's MOSFET, not mofset (Metal Oxide Silicon Field Effect Transistor). Easier to pronounce as well. Unless you've been imbibing a lot :) .