SOLD OUT! Skooter G and Papa Chuy ride FJR's to Cabo San Lucas!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From one guinea pig to another Old Pilot, having the software for Baja that works in my Garmin would be nice. My biggest concern is how accurate it may be. The way Don explains the highways in Baja, I get the impression they may change frequently due to flash floods or some other consequence of road repair.
Hey, I like my GPS, it holds all of my music too. Don't pay too much attention to Don, he gets upset because there is no place to plug in his 8-Track tape player into his Sextant.

8trackBradford-model-79608-Quad-8-Track-player-1.jpg
sxt4ant.jpg
Two points of clarification: 1) I no longer own my 8-Track tape player, but still have about 30 8-Track tapes. 2) I DO OWN A SEXTANT, and still know how to use it from my sailing days in Morro Bay, CA!

Last edited by a moderator:
sxt4ant.jpg
2) I DO OWN A SEXTANT...
Ooooh.

I thought you said SEXTENT....

Menintentcopy.jpg
Michael, you badly need a woman or goat.

And something productive to do besides play with yourself photoshop.
Old Michael, I'm getting old, I'd forgotten you were on our FJR Forum Camping Trip 3 years ago. That was very strange, everybody else except Fairlaner and SkooterG were sleeping in 1-man pup tents!

Bloody Buggers!!!

Don't sweat the AAA map, I'll score one for you soon!
Don,

I posted elsewhere on this, but if you are in the AAA office I could use one as well. CAA (the Canuckistani Automobile Association) can only get me the map for all of Mexico rather than the more detailed Mexican state maps.

Since I'm also planning on returning from Mazatlan up the Sea of Cortez through Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco, if there's a map for that coast I'd appreciate having one of them too.

Muchas gracias compadre!

Griff

Don't sweat the AAA map, I'll score one for you soon!
Don,

I posted elsewhere on this, but if you are in the AAA office I could use one as well. CAA (the Canuckistani Automobile Association) can only get me the map for all of Mexico rather than the more detailed Mexican state maps.

Since I'm also planning on returning from Mazatlan up the Sea of Cortez through Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco, if there's a map for that coast I'd appreciate having one of them too.

Muchas gracias compadre!

Griff
Hi Griff,

I did see your other post and Jorge-Khunajawdge response. AAA here in Arizona also has just the big map of Mexico for the Mainland. You may want to consider the GPS resource that old Pilot, Big-D and SkooterG are going to use for Baja California. But really, you cannot get lost in The Baja; Mexico Ruta Uno is the only route North and South; can't get lost. https://www.lbmaps.com/ Looks really good!

And when it comes to The Mainland, we will never be far from Mexico Ruta Cinco; just side branching off to San Blas, perhaps Puerto Vallarta, Alamos, El Fuerte, San Carlos and other Mexican villages!

Hi Griff,
I did see your other post and Jorge-Khunajawdge response. AAA here in Arizona also has just the big map of Mexico for the Mainland. You may want to consider the GPS resource that old Pilot, Big-D and SkooterG are going to use for Baja California. But really, you cannot get lost in The Baja; Mexico Ruta Uno is the only route North and South; can't get lost. https://www.lbmaps.com/ Looks really good!

And when it comes to The Mainland, we will never be far from Mexico Ruta Cinco; just side branching off to San Blas, perhaps Puerto Vallarta, Alamos, El Fuerte, San Carlos and other Mexican villages!
I'll look into the GPS stuff as well, but I'm also an old school type and like my paper maps. Jorge will send. I have the large map and for sure there's no way to get lost along Ruta Uno y Cinco, but it's nice to have paper to draw on :)

Cheers!

Griff

I just received the Baja maps I ordered from Amazon. These maps are made by National Geographic and titled Adventure Maps BAJA Map Pack. Baja is split into two sections, North & South. These maps look to be really good quality, kind of a plastic coated map and very detailed. On the reverse side of each there are cities, towns and apparently some villages that have street maps inset. I received the pack, which consist of two maps for $13 buck with free shipping and no tax. Such a deal!!

I was just looking over my Garmin Mapsource and the North American NT map that is loaded on my Garmin. I was not aware, but I guess Mexico, including Baja is already available on my GPS. And Mapsource shows the roads all over Baja. It's 1305 miles from Havasu to Cabo San Lucas. So it looks like I'll have maps and GPS!!

I was just looking over my Garmin Mapsource and the North American NT map that is loaded on my Garmin. I was not aware, but I guess Mexico, including Baja is already available on my GPS. And Mapsource shows the roads all over Baja. It's 1305 miles from Havasu to Cabo San Lucas. So it looks like I'll have maps and GPS!!

I just (finally) got the 2011 update loaded in mine and yes, it includes roads in Mexico. However, as nuestro buen amigo señor Stanley señaló, gps is notoriously inaccurate down thataways...

I think the NatGeo maps are the way to go. Got mine ordered too!

Griff

Interesting that it included roads in Mexico. Mine never has. I mean, it might have a few major highways, and even then they will be off a couple hundred yards at times. I haven't updated in a while on my 2820, I'll have to do that.

I just received the Baja maps I ordered from Amazon. These maps are made by National Geographic and titled Adventure Maps BAJA Map Pack. Baja is split into two sections, North & South. These maps look to be really good quality, kind of a plastic coated map and very detailed. On the reverse side of each there are cities, towns and apparently some villages that have street maps inset. I received the pack, which consist of two maps for $13 buck with free shipping and no tax. Such a deal!!
Linky?

Interesting that it included roads in Mexico. Mine never has. I mean, it might have a few major highways, and even then they will be off a couple hundred yards at times. I haven't updated in a while on my 2820, I'll have to do that.

Linky?

Here is a Link for the maps: Baja Map Pack The price on Amazon shows it now at $15.56 for the 2-map pack.

After reading your post I turned on my GPS and scrolled down to Baja and Cabo San Lucas. Once there I zoomed in and the detail went all the way down to individual residential streets. How accurate it is I have no idea, being I've never been in Mexico to try it, but it looks as good as though I was looking at Phoenix. The map I'm using on my nuvi 760 is the newest Garmin 2011 NT map that I purchased on Amazon a few months back because they had it on sale for about $39 bucks. Prior to that, my map was a 2008 version.

Why don't you two hombres take a Midol, lay down on the couch and put a cold washcloth onto your foreheads. **** me Running, there is only one, I repeat ONE, road leading North and South on the entire Baja Peninsula! You two are going to drive me to drinking, God Damn lucky I got a three Tequila shot and six pack of Tecate head start tonight! GPS my big fat hairy Irish Ass. Los Putos!!!

All right, just to piss Don Stanley off, I am going to hijack the thread for a bit and talk GPS. I now have a garmin 265WT and a Garmin 60CSX for off-road use. Neither are being used to their full capability due to my ignorance/inertia/confusion.

I have Mapsource and Street and trips software.

I want to load offroad routes onto the 60csx (especially topo maps for the Western States and Mexico). I also want good street maps for both Garmins if possible, or at least the 265WT.

What software for S&T, mapsource, or the GPS units do I want to buy? Links are even better and earn the man or woman a couple beers next time I see them.

I have to learn the software, but I spent days of frustration and an hour on customer service lines before I realized the mapsource didn't come with the maps I wanted/needed.

Anybody want to help a newbie AND piss off Beemerdons? :clapping:

Why don't you two hombres take a Midol, lay down on the couch and put a cold washcloth onto your foreheads. **** me Running, there is only one, I repeat ONE, road leading North and South on the entire Baja Peninsula! You two are going to drive me to drinking, God Damn lucky I got a three Tequila shot and six pack of Tecate head start tonight! GPS my big fat hairy Irish Ass. Los Putos!!!

Cálmate mi amigo, cálmate. Sé que hay un solo camino, pero me gusta tener una copia de seguridad para mi copia de seguridad. ;)

Must be an Army thing ... belt and suspenders, and all that... B)

Yeah!! Maybe we can get him to shave that thing!

Unless things have changed, I don't think you can load a S&T map into your GPS. If you don't have Mapsource, you need to get it. It can be hard to find, BUT, you can obtain Mapsource for free if you look hard enough.

When I make a route, I use Google Maps and Mapsource at the same time. It seems Fairlaner can make up a route in just a few minutes. I have the mapsource instruction book in a .pdf file I can send you if you send me your email. If you don't already have mapsource, I might still have a link to get it free and then once you load it, it will update automatically.

If you go to Garmin website, it will tell you which units will work for mapsource and which won't.

Yeah!! Maybe we can get him to shave that thing!
Unless things have changed, I don't think you can load a S&T map into your GPS. If you don't have Mapsource, you need to get it. It can be hard to find, BUT, you can obtain Mapsource for free if you look hard enough.

When I make a route, I use Google Maps and Mapsource at the same time. It seems Fairlaner can make up a route in just a few minutes. I have the mapsource instruction book in a .pdf file I can send you if you send me your email. If you don't already have mapsource, I might still have a link to get it free and then once you load it, it will update automatically.

If you go to Garmin website, it will tell you which units will work for mapsource and which won't.
Thanks,

Mapsource came with my Garmin 60csx. Seems the maps are rudimentary that came with it. I'm a luddite. I just checked and found the manual in my program files. Guess I have to read it now. <_<

Anyway, I thought you had to buy mapping programs or microSD chips for the GPS to work well, like TOPO maps or something... I'll figure it out if it kills me. I'm probably making it harder than it really is. I'm a visual/experience learner rather than a reader learner....

Linky?

Here is a Link for the maps: Baja Map Pack The price on Amazon shows it now at $15.56 for the 2-map pack.

After reading your post I turned on my GPS and scrolled down to Baja and Cabo San Lucas. Once there I zoomed in and the detail went all the way down to individual residential streets. How accurate it is I have no idea, being I've never been in Mexico to try it, but it looks as good as though I was looking at Phoenix. The map I'm using on my nuvi 760 is the newest Garmin 2011 NT map that I purchased on Amazon a few months back because they had it on sale for about $39 bucks. Prior to that, my map was a 2008 version.
What's with that? I have NT 2011.10 (US & Canada) on my 780 and it shows only RT 1, nothing else, no detail at all.

https://www.maps4u.com/ As much as it vexes me having to agree with mi Compadre Big-D, when it comes to these National Geographic Maps: They are "La Bamba" and the Amazon price es muy Bueno! I went to my favorite map store this morning, Wide World of Maps in Mesa AZ and checked out these maps. Incredible detail, waterproof and very easy to read.

At $13 with free shipping, you can't go wrong! They were $11.95 each, before tax, at the store; shipping extra. If you already have the AAA map, just stay with it, for this trip it will work fine. Now when it comes to Big-D's GPS uses and abuses, he's still as queer as a three dollar bill. Any Puto Hombre that uses GPS on a bike couldn't have had much of a Mother!