solo rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tercol58

Reaction score
I know I will be riding solo 100% of the time . So I was wondering are there better choices of bikes for strictly solo riding and do most here ride 2 up at least part of the time or are there a lot of solo riders on the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like you'd be buying one of these

107859_f260.jpg

that's only good for two people. Many, probably most of us, ride solo most of the time, and many only ride solo like you. I don't know anybody who rides 2-up a lot that doesn't enjoy the bike alone. I seldom carry anyone and love my FJR, but it's a very good bike when you do have a pillion. And you never know when you might find someone you'd like to bring along. . .

I know I will be riding solo 100% of the time . So I was wondering are there better choices of bikes for strictly solo riding and do most here ride 2 up at least part of the time or are there a lot of solo riders on the FJR.
Solo 99.99% (Had to 2-up when a guy caught a rock with his crankcase about 10 miles from civilization and when a fellow forum member needed a tire) of the time. FJR suits me just fine.

The Honda NT700??!! Wow. I love Honda, but when they make a decision to dump the VFR800, and substitute that bike I had to walk away. - Sorry, I had to get that out.

Now to the original question...

I too ride alone most but not all of the time. IMO the FJR is a perfect bike to go one up based upon the riding position alone - compared to say a GSXR. The FJR is also a bike you grow into, not "out of".

I was thinking about this yesterday myself. I'm keeping the FJR but I want to increase the performance. I'm targeting two areas - Weight and Suspension.

I weighed my saddle bags (all but empty) and there is 30lbs. So when riding "in a more sporting manner" off they go!

Then I thought about the wheels. Does anyone know how much they weigh?

Then there are the tires. Check this out: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=29854

The suspension is another area. This was mentioned in an earlier post, but here's the link: https://www.gpsuspension.com/

So again, I think that the FJR is just fine. To each his own though. Why do you ask? What bikes are you thinking of/comparing? That may help the discussion a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the FJR. Get a Smuggler. You're welcome.

Actually if i didn`t love the FJR so much & wasnt as fat as i am i`d look hard at this one https://powersports.honda.com/2010/nt700v.aspx
let the flaming begin
Right now am enjoying all my bikes-----but someday as things continue to age I would might prefer a smaller unit to push around(and pick up) and do not care for trikes. I have sat on the 700 and it was not a bad feeling. Nothing like the comfort and roll-on of my Wing, and my FJR I don't imagine.

I guess the bikes on my list at this time are the FJR, ST 1300, Sprint GT/ST , and the C14

I guess the bikes on my list at this time are the FJR, ST 1300, Sprint GT/ST , and the C14
First, I ride solo almost all of the time.

Second, since all of the bikes you are looking at are sport touring models, then I'd say the FJR is absolutely the best of the ones on your list. Did you expect otherwise from an FJR owner?

I had an ST1300 for 3 years. Great machine for touring and plenty of room for two-up riding. Based on your comments it sounds like you're wondering if the FJR is sporty enough for mostly one-up riding, so I think you'd be dissapointed in the ST.

I think all four other bikes are quite a bit more of the "sport" side of the ST equation than the Honda. I ride mostly by myself and was considering the Sprint ST, but it turned out to be too agressive a ride position for me. The GT (when available) may be a bit more comfortable from what I hear. It's also a bit longer and heavier than the ST, so it's targeted at someone looking for more long distance comfort than the ST.

I believe you've now ridden the FJR, so it's time to ride the Connie and Sprint. I hear a lot of good things about the 2010 Connie, so if a new bike is possible, it would be worth checking out. Give us your feedback once you've tested the others out.

My $0.02...

Rick

I ride the FJR mainly one up I ride our Goldwing two up the FJr feels crowded two up. I will buy a new FZ1 next spring I sold mine last summer and miss it.

I ride solo all of the time. For the riding I like to do - LD rides >6000 miles and hitting the backroads of the wherever I go - the fjr is a good choice for me. What kind of riding do you like? My last bike was a GL1800 and I did some serious LD riding on it. It had almost 150K miles on it when we parted. It was great for 1000 mile + days of touring but less so when I got the urge to lean it over. Depends on what you want. . .