Soltek HID Light Kit Night Photo's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian, did you get a spot beam to test? The drivers look awesome, but maybe a combo would give ultra-far downrange visibility. The deer and cows could be partially cooked by the time you get there. Mmmm, BBQ!
Apparently BD recommended on the drivers for a MC application. IMO I don't know that I need to see further down the road, this light will give me plenty of advanced notice as to whats ahead.

I'm still interested in a set. Hope you fellas work out the bugs.

Apparently BD recommended on the drivers for a MC application.
Correct. They were fairly adamant about that when I spoke to them.

They said the "Driving Lamp" beamcast was already a little on the "spot" side, so I'm guessing the actual "Spot" version is literally a cone of light that may indeed go faaaaaaaar down the road, but is only a couple inches wide.

Which is definitely not what you want for our application. These Driving Lights already go very far down the road, but also give you a fighting chance to see the deer lurking on the *sides* of the road.

So, without further ado...... at 22ft from my garage door, bike up on the centerstand, PHID on the left, Soltek on the right:
Wow! Look impressive! What's with the cat profile? I would still like to see a "down the road" comparison, however, but your photo comparison on the garage is certainly impressive. Would also be nice to see what the "fog" pattern looks like in your garage door comparison.

You got some gas in that bike of yours?
Yup. But it's too cold! And besides, I still haven't repaired one of my PHIDs from playa hopping. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. They were fairly adamant about that when I spoke to them.
They said the "Driving Lamp" beamcast was already a little on the "spot" side, so I'm guessing the actual "Spot" version is literally a cone of light that may indeed go faaaaaaaar down the road, but is only a couple inches wide.

Which is definitely not what you want for our application. These Driving Lights already go very far down the road, but also give you a fighting chance to see the deer lurking on the *sides* of the road.
Ooops. My bad. I thought there was a "driving" and "fog" lamp option. IOW, another one more spread out than the "driving" lamp. Certainly, I would not want anything more narrow beam than the "driving" lamp you show on your garage. If anything, an ever so slightly wider angle might be beneficial. Of course to truly evaluate all this, it would need to be done on a really straight open road.

Regardless, thanks for all the info boys and girls.

Here's about where I'm aiming for the mounting position of these lights. This is not an actual photo of the bracket I have in mind.

IMG_1966.jpg

And here's a close up of the very trick vertical adjustment feature thats built into the light bracket.

IMG_1967.jpg

Wow! Look impressive! What's with the cat profile?
Its all part of the "Stealth Performance Mode:

...."Batman...nah-nah..nah-nah..nah-na..nah-nah...Batman"....

You guys work out a proper mounting and I'm in for a set of these bad boys.
Uhm, the line forms on the right!

and you'll combine it with a rear-view mirror extension, right?
Und zo, yew hafn't sought uff ze EffZee-vun mirrers?

Holy Schnikies! They're HUGE!
I'll have to upgrade my fork springs, fer shure! I wonder what those "bug/wind-catchers" will do for fuel mileage?

No matter, life will be BRIGHT with those lit up!

For the lights to be good "projectors", there's absolutely no substitute for square inches of reflecting surface. Four inches sounds to me like a minumum size to do a good job. If these units have the ballast built into the back of the housing, put me down for a pair!

jim