Soltek HID Light Kit Night Photo's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If these units have the ballast built into the back of the housing, put me down for a pair!
The only thing that comes out of the lights is 2 wires, positive and negative. One of the big reasons I never purchased any Aux HID lights in the past, was not wanting to play hide the extra parts in the nose etc.

Interested in a set as well when the mounting gets figured out. Looking good sofar Skyway!

About these hefty things catching lots of bugs though, just think, by the time you need to stop for fuel, you'll have a few nice crispy treats.... Saves you Fritos money! Could be a big cost savings in the snack department.

Well, I suppose I'll let the cat out of the bag, then.....
PHID_vs_SOLTEK.jpg
What's with the cat profile?
He said he was letting it out of the bag....

Any idea approx. how much heavier these are than the combined weight of the PHID + ballast assemblies? From what I remember the PHID housings seemed a bit lightweight, but aren't the Soltek ballasts smaller & lighter?

The appearance should really get the traffic scared outta the way. Add a white helmet and you'd be lookin' awful law-like. I wonder if they'd ever be inclined to get you pulled over by the HP. After all, they are for off-road only, and in my state, you can get written up for not having your off-road lights covered, even in daytime. Were any covers included or available? Skyway could get some red ones made up, yeah?

I made a prototype mounting bracket yesterday and I think I have it figured out. It is attached on my bike with only the 2 mirror mount holes. I did this on purpose because there is nowhere else near on the 06 to pick up for support.

With the lights on, I'm noticing very little flicker of the HID's as I hit bumps and such. I'm not sure that any other bracket could alleviate this as my bracket is very stout and not flexing at all. In comparison, cause this is what I have on hand, the Gaurald brackets have all kinds of flexing going on, and are nowhere near substantial enough.

Any visible light beam movement is now being caused by the motion in the bikes subframe itself. Though I can see a little movement, Its only because I'm looking closely for it. I never felt like any of the movement of the HID was bothersome and annoying. Of course this could be very subjective. I only run up to around 80mph.

I chose to make the bracket out of 1/4" steel and never tried anything thinner, maybe 3/16" will suffice? Even though the material is 1/4", I can still get both mirror mounting screws fully engaged with thread. I will have to investigate the 06 bike to see if there is enough thread available to duplicate a similar design.

This light kit is throwing bright usable light easily 1/2 mile down the road. I had oncoming cars dipping hi beams at around 0.8 miles. I'm quite satisfied with the results of this kit and will be keeping it for sure.

Any idea approx. how much heavier these are than the combined weight of the PHID + ballast assemblies? From what I remember the PHID housings seemed a bit lightweight, but aren't the Soltek ballasts smaller & lighter?
I found some specs on them last night 2 lbs. 3 oz. I guess the PHIDs are 'bout a pound??

Were any covers included or available? Skyway could get some red ones made up, yeah?
+1 on the covers. I don't like my big lights getting sand blasted and bug covered when not in use.

I will have to investigate the 06 bike to see if there is enough thread available to duplicate a similar design.
Not likely. I made light brackets for my '06 with 1/8 steel and was just barely able to get enough thread to bite. There's a thin plastic spacer under the mirror stalks that might yield a 1/16. I don't know for sure what my halogen FF200s weigh (not much) but they're rock solid with these brackets.

Here is a couple pictures from different angles that I found. Are these the same lights? I believe they are called "Fuego's".

116067561653922229-2.jpg

Baja Designs offer clear lexan covers retailed at $19.95 each. :yahoo:

Here is a couple pictures from different angles that I found. Are these the same lights? I believe they are called "Fuego's".

116067561653922229-2.jpg
Thats them alright.

I will have to investigate the 06 bike to see if there is enough thread available to duplicate a similar design.
Not likely. I made light brackets for my '06 with 1/8 steel and was just barely able to get enough thread to bite. There's a thin plastic spacer under the mirror stalks that might yield a 1/16. I don't know for sure what my halogen FF200s weigh (not much) but they're rock solid with these brackets.
Bummer. :( Does anyone have a photo handy of the area under the fairing that shows just the stock configuration of the mirror mount?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer. :( Does anyone have a photo handy of the area under the fairing that shows just the stock configuration of the mirror mount?
I can open mine up and take some shots and measurements this evening if no-one else has pics already available.

Does anyone think it feasible to mount these below a bag? Somehow make a quick attach/detach cabling? I like the light, just rather not have the big bug eyes on the front of my feejer. Just thinking outside the box...

Don't see how that would work. Plus, you want to get any driving light up high. Much more efficient. I think what your proposing would be a very expensive pair of foot warmers! :unsure:

Does anyone think it feasible to mount these below a bag? Somehow make a quick attach/detach cabling? I like the light, just rather not have the big bug eyes on the front of my feejer. Just thinking outside the box...
Probably lots of points that you can attach it, but mounting low is less than optimal for this kind of lighting, and what you'd want an HID high beam source to do. It's not meant as a fog light. Mounting on a bag means you're going to also bathe your legs and lower fairing in light.....just a tad distrcacting.

I would suggest a new thread if you want to talk about alternate placement.

How much are these lights? I mean MSRP, not the pending proposed group buy price?

I found some specs on them last night 2 lbs. 3 oz.

That might be what the literature says, but in real life, these critters are just a skosh under 2.5 lbs apiece...... 39.2 ounces, to be exact:

lampweight.jpg

How much are these lights? I mean MSRP, not the pending proposed group buy price?

~$800.00

I found some specs on them last night 2 lbs. 3 oz.

That might be what the literature says, but in real life, these critters are just a skosh under 2.5 lbs apiece...... 39.2 ounces, to be exact:

lampweight.jpg
And before anybody asks...it's my scale.....and yes we did tare the weight before putting the light on top of the 7 ounces of herb not visible in the picture.

We mighta forgot to tare out the quarter though. That 8th ounce went kinda fast. :blink:

fwiw - remember ElectroSport? The company that came up with the higher capacity stator? I found this on their website:

HID Lighting
Complete application listing and product details for Motorcycle HID lighting kits coming soon! Please check back. For more information, you can call for immediate details on all available kits.

Thank you.

fwiw - remember ElectroSport? The company that came up with the higher capacity stator? I found this on their website:
HID Lighting
Complete application listing and product details for Motorcycle HID lighting kits coming soon! Please check back. For more information, you can call for immediate details on all available kits.

Thank you.
I am a beta-tester for this system for the FJR.

Been working with ElectroSport on this project for a while now.... the system is not ready for prime time by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, they are going back to the drawing board regarding the Hi/Lo H4 on the FJR. I expect to have a third iteration of the bulb within another 3-4 weeks. The first two iterations did not work properly.