Solteks vs PHIDs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between Solteks and PHIDs to replace my PIAA 910s. Does anybody know whether the light output, the sheer effectiveness for LD riding, of the Solteks is better than the PHIDs. How about other features such as durability, adjustability, customer service, etc? If I assume that these lights are basically the same, I'm paying roughly $200 per set more for the Solteks, just to get an embedded ballast and easier install.

Thanks,

Jerry

I've got a question that goes along with your question.

PHIDs are Phillips-HIDs? All other brands are just HIDs?

Does anybody know whether the light output, the sheer effectiveness for LD riding, of the Solteks is better than the PHIDs. How about other features such as durability, adjustability, customer service, etc?
Light output and effectiveness are WELL demonstrated here.

MW182754b.JPG

For a Gen II the Soltek's are more attractive because the embedded ballasts to be sure.....however there have been a couple of reports that they bounce a bit more.

If I didn't already have FF200's I would go with Solteks myself.

There are other existing threads on customer service, but I think the Solteks are probably superior.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think folks should hold off on any auxiliary light purchase.

Hold off for, say, a week to 10 days.

B)

Hope this is not against forum rules but I sell Soltek and if I can help PM me. I have a truck-4x4 -offroad shop so its one of the things we use also.

Cary

Jerry, depending on how you elect to mount them weight may be an issue with the Soltek's. As Iggy said, their weight tends to make them want to move around a bit on uneven pavement, but personally it hasn't bothered me. The light output is awesome, but I only have the non-HID Hella FF200's to compare them to.

Also, I noticed a pair of custom-made covers for the PHID's at the last RTE I attended, unfortunetely he didn't have them on one day and a rock broke a lens. I leave my rock-guards on my Soltek's all the time. But the covers don't do so well in freezing-fog :) (see below).

Dennis

DSCN0101.JPG

For what it's worth..

I run the Solteks with Skyway brackets on an 06.

I commute daily, and unlike most, I run the lights twice a day during these winter months.

Tonight, the HID candle was lit for over 22 straight miles on my way home without seeing another vehicle. I'm lucky to live in a very rural area, except for the Bambi syndrome, which is one of the reasons I decided to spend the $$ for HID's.

I heard about potential water leaks, so I tested the Solteks (look about 1/2 way down).

I also ride 6 miles of 'county maintained' dirt road 6x week. The Solteks DO bounce around on the dirt road. From the saddle it looks like the beam is somehow catching 'fire' on side or the other of the element, it just kind of 'bounces' around. Words don't adequately describe it, but this only happens on the dirt pot holed road. On pavement, stable as a rock.

Long of short? I really like the Solteks. True, they are all I know, but after riding with them for 1,200 miles now, I will say the stock lights look way wimpy, even scary - even though I have the bright Osrams installed.

Long of short? I really like the Solteks. True, they are all I know, but after riding with them for 1,200 miles now, I will say the stock lights look way wimpy, even scary -
Yeah! The first time I rode with my Solteks on and turned them off I thought my brights had gone out. It was only after my eyes adjusted that I realized how "overpowering" the Solteks are...uhm...er...ahem...the "brights" were working. :huh:

In the picture Ignazio posted above, the Solteks are on the right. Yes, they are THAT much more powerful. They did a side-by-side test at WFO. Unbelieveable.....and I was there.

B)
Elusive, but without the wink and nod. ;)
<wink-wink, nod-nod>

That said, the next GB on the immediate horizon is about brake systems, not aux lights.

After that, however..... <wink-wink, nod-nod>

:D

Well, if it helps, only the Gen I non-ABS guys can purchase *everthing* that will be available on the Brake Systems GB. :D

You ABS dudes - all generations - are slightly boned.

AE dudes, boned worse of all.

Oh, phew! Brakes - I'm all set there, thanks to your Spiegler GB. Man, I was all set to set up the cot in the garage, too! :lol:

In the world of aux lighing and in the absence of details from Warchild my current vote goes to the Hella Micro DE Xenon driving lights - an ultra-small projector whose only significant drawback is that it is a unit with a conventional ballast on a relatively short leash . . . had 'em on the old Concours and unless the announcement is for something absolutely amazng, I'l have a set of them on the FJR when riding season comes along.

None of this leaky reflectors of the Soltecs or those cheap plastic reflectors used in the supposed PHIDs for me. The Hellas have magnesium cases and projector optics. I'll be mounting them on brackets sandwiched between the mirrors and the body. Here's a clickable shot of them as I had 'em on the old machine:

Last edited by a moderator:

B)
Anyone looking at trail tech stuff may be best served being patient for a couple more months. Don't want to go into details, but let's just say there *may* be a street-able reflector coming out for the 4" light, and there *may* be some good mounting options for the FJR becoming available.
Any chance these two post are referring to the same mystery?

Latest posts